Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is gonna be a silly thread but I really wanted to ask this...

Anyone know any guitar thats close to an Ibanez Fireman? lol

I'm going to trade off one of my guitars for an another one because it doesnt feel comfortable for me, so I was thinking I want to get a guitar close to an Fireman.

Thing is I started to figure out that beefy fat necks are better for my hands. I hav a MIM vintage '60s strat thats pretty much a fat neck, but the action is really high and can't be lowered cause the radius of the neck makes the notes I bend to "fret-out".

And I went to Gilbert's VIP lesson when he came to Europe and he letted me to play his Fireman (not the red one, which apparently its little bit thinner than the original Fireman). The action was awesome and the neck just felt like a dream.

I started to think about gettin' a Epiphone Korina Explorer cause it has the same scale length and has somewhat a thick neck (although i didnt visit the guitar store to try it out yet). I'm not really feeling the shape of explorers but i know it looks cool. But before I get it, I wanted to ask you guys if u know or recomend any guitar that has a short scale length, fat neck, not too expensice, and i prefer a guitar with no trem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not wait for the affordable Fireman:
Or do you think the neck will be too thin on that one?
well i really want the affordable fireman, but i heard it supposedly out in the NAMM show now but I dont see any signs of it... if they are still making the prototype and all that, its gonna take at least another year or few months.

Im pretty sure the affordable fireman will hav a dream neck as well but its gonna cost more than at least a 1000 bucks.... I really want to get rid of my uncomfortable guitar and get it swapped with another. By the time the new "affordable" fireman comes out, i'll probably have some money saved or so...

But im not 100% sure. I just feel that the new fireman isn't gonna be out for a while since its not out in the NAMM show yet.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
From what rich said I dont think the fireman was at namm, it wasn't ready yet... and although they say affordable im thinking around 3 to 4K affordable.... which isn't that affordable...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol wow 3k-4k??!

I guess I might get the epiphone korina explorer. Does anyone know if this guitar is good or not? I heard alot of positive comments on them but there are no spec infos anywhere about the neck thickness and the radius....

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Nope, No fireman this time. Iceman is always a good bet. you could just strip it and give it a tung oil finish if you "really" want that look. Ebay is a good place to start, you could even find an already stripped reverse one a la fireman. and just tung oil-finish it and dump electronics into it.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The korina explorer should tonally be a good substitute, you will want to swap the P/Us obviously, and of course the neck will be kinda chunky; us Ibanez guys are realllllly spoiled :)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
lol wow 3k-4k??!

I guess I might get the epiphone korina explorer. Does anyone know if this guitar is good or not? I heard alot of positive comments on them but there are no spec infos anywhere about the neck thickness and the radius....
I actually played an Epi korina for a few days and was VERY impressed by it. It was super comfortable, and the stock pup sounded GREAT through several tube amps....... not so much on a solid state though. I would absolutely buy myself one if I could just get over this RG sickness of mine....lol

Ryc

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The epi guys actually do a good job on the korina V and explorer. Probably my favorite 2 guitars they make tonally. It is very very very vintage sounding for light to heavy rocking and even metal. It would be a great investment i'd say.

I do wish they'd release the fireman though :-/ I was totally hoping for NAMM...bummer.

Edit: You do have to deal with epi korean fretwork which is sub-par.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thanks you guys convinced me to get it! :D

But is it really better to change the pickups? I heard that epiphone pickups are getting better recently... But ill probably get some cheap dimarzios or something that i can find

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
we make a series 2 custom using the new injector pickups.. its a real beefy superstrat.
pretty close to the fireman but with less bits jutting out ;)

I liked it so much, i made myself one ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts