Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just who makes them? i have heard yamaha does. is ibanez just a design team? and if so . who makes the ibanez guitars now? or who manufactures them?

frank gambale said they were just a design team? i would like to know who or where they are made for real?

is ibanez a company that makes thier own guitars? if not who?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Ibanez's Japanese guitars are made in the Fuji-gen-gakki plant in Japan. This plant makes guitars for other companies as well(Fender Japan, Fernandez Japan, etc).

The J Custom guitars might be made somewhere else, but I'll believe that when I see pictures of the place. :)

Most of Yamaha's current prodution line is make in Taiwan/China, with some Korean models. Like Fernandez, they make very few Japanese guitars now-a-days, though those guitars might've been from the Fujigen plant.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i never heard that before. I know ibanez is owned by hoshino, and to my knowledge, they manufacture the high end ones themselves in japan and the mid and low range ones are made by Samick in Korea.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
The LA Custom Shop is for endorsed artists only... no production. See thread in the FAQ/Archive. They do some design too, which probably has little input on Ibanez JPN. Frank is pretty much dead on regarding the shops... they are not Ibanez exclusive and to my knowledge they are not ibanez owned.

Frank is correct in that Ibanez does not have a factory of Ibanez employees doing exclusive work for their company (ala PRS/Gibson).

I can't comment on their ethics however, but i'm sure he has his reasons and credit him for his candor... glen

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
jemsite said:
The LA Custom Shop is for endorsed artists only... no production. See thread in the FAQ/Archive. They do some design too, which probably has little input on Ibanez JPN. Frank is pretty much dead on regarding the shops... they are not Ibanez exclusive and to my knowledge they are not ibanez owned.

Frank is correct in that Ibanez does not have a factory of Ibanez employees doing exclusive work for their company (ala PRS/Gibson).

I can't comment on their ethics however, but i'm sure he has his reasons and credit him for his candor... glen
When Frank was an endorsee at Ibanez, didn't he get his guitars made at the LA custom shop? Or is the LA Custom Shop limited to endorsees of a certain level?

Regards

André

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
the production guitars he was given would be standard assembly line pieces. if he had a custom guitar made it was from the LACS. .. glen

·
Registered
32 Posts
IBANEZ is basically just a trading company. Other people make their guitars for them (eg. Fujigen, World factory) :)

And for the record, yea, played the Frank Gambale Yamaha.. sounds and feels ok to me .. but it could improve it's looks.. definitely.. i prefer the old Ibanez frank gambale last time ... :(

·
Registered
462 Posts
Honestly speaking....I don't think it's going to matter whether Ibanez is a design team or not. I've known this for a really long time. But it's kind of taboo to mention this on a community with so much love for their instruments. Look at it this way. As of today I believe it's very hard to find a popular instrument maker that charges the prices we pay for jems/UVs/RGs/PGMs/Whatever without going through an "automated" factory/assembly line type of setup.

The fact remains that Ibanez, or more rather Hoshino Gakki (which also makes tonnes of other instruments, and then some), makes instruments that we love. Not only for their design, but their playability and quality. Quality with the exception of a few.

The fact that the are "merely" a design team should not bother anyone. I think we should focus our comments to the company itself confined on aspects that can and will actually improve the build quality, features and general design of the instruments themselves.

I've been playing Ibanez for the past 8 years, as far as I can see it, nothings gonna change that. And neither is my love for Jems/UVs.

Christopher.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts