Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

Super Moderator
A penny for my thoughts yes. A penny for these guitars? Nope. Hard pass.

I was hoping for an April Fools post, but I think these are probably real!

I have to say though that at least Ibanez are trying. Swing and a miss, but still trying nonetheless. I guess I鈥檓 just not Ibanez鈥檚 core audience any more. And that鈥檚 ok.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... I've got mixed feelings as well. The headless basses are absolutely awesome, I own a SFM green model and it exceeded all expectations. But with these I'm not convinced right now. Let's wait for some more demos and information.

Registered
It was a matter of time, with headless popular across all price points, from Harley Benton to Strandberg, Aristides and so on. So it's basically a headless S with AZ wiring and variants on the Wizard neck :unsure:. I wonder what the reasoning behind the offset scale is, as it's 25.5 across all the strings.

Looks like Ichika Nito got his sig finally.

Registered
I will never understand the attraction of the headless guitar gimmick. I'd argue that these actually just have a very small head-stock though...

Super Moderator
Interesting 508mm fretboard radius on a couple of them!

No shots of the neck joint, either. I bet it鈥檒l be similar to the AZ鈥檚 neck joint.

The worst bit is the scoop on the lower horn, right where you hand doesn鈥檛 go...

Registered
I've never cared for the look of headless guitars. These look extra ugly to me. The body shape looks off especially with the cutout for the bridge. It just doesn't look Ibanez. I think they would have been better using the old voyager body and turning that into a headless instead.

Registered
What's the thought behind two strap buttons on the bottom?

I assume the extra cutaway at the bridge is for ease of access to the tuners?

I bet they're pretty functional. I'd be interested to jam on one just out of curiosity as much as anything. But I'm not rushing out to buy one.
Mind you i find Ichika/Plini/Animals as leaders technically interesting for a while but musically fairly boring so I'm clearly not the target audience.

Registered
Never been a huge fan of the headless guitars either... but I would be curious to play a fanned fret neck someday. Seems weird, but could be comfortable.

I give them some credit for not stagnating, to some degree... Interesting configurations and finishes, some look pretty good! (Keep in mind these thoughts are coming from a guy that buys old guitars from the late 80's early 90's... lol)

Registered
I'm not big into the headless guitar thing but honestly even with that set aside they are a pretty ugly bunch of models compared to other headless guitars.

Premium Member
I also think, it's a late april fools joke . Not my cup of tea :whistle:. A little bit similar to the Reb Beach models, but these had a headstock.
Cheers !

Registered
Not that I have any interest in buying one of these horrid things, but any idea if they are MIJ? The EVO Gold frets are a nice touch.

Registered
I've never felt the need to buy a headstock guitar but it will interesting to see 1) if these are real 2) if they are, whether they'll sell well or not.

If they are real, credit to them for coming out with this. Will probably aim to compete with Kiesel and Strandberg considering they are $2k-$3k i.e. in Prestige/J Custom range. I'm surprised it took them this long to come up with a modern headless guitar (they released one a very long time ago but I assume it was not popular...).

Seems like it makes sense that they based the body shape on the S series as well. Ibanez has been getting less pointy recently.

Registered
I only play .strandberg* headless guitars. I would have never thought I'd be into them when I was younger & only playing Ibanez but I tried a friends and the difference was night and day. SO comfortable to play, so light, easy to play & super balanced when it comes to playing with a strap. The a-symmetrical endurneck is the greatest neck profile imo of all time. I really don't see this brand as a phase or gimmick and think it will last for a very long time. Others however, aren't as robust a design and will probably fade over time.

I'd suggest trying before immediately knocking. The benefits of a headless guitar certainly are not the looks, but its substantial enough to warrant people willing to take endless abuse and questions from the general public about them ;)

Sort of like, you didn't know you needed it till you tried it, and now it will never be the same! ha

1 - 20 of 59 Posts