Ibanez JEM Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
So, which way do we all think these will go in terms of sales and overall acceptance?

Raging success like the AZ or disastrous no-hoper like the Talman reissues?

My thoughts? How long before I can pick up one of the slant fret monstrosities on closeout, just for laughs... :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
So, which way do we all think these will go in terms of sales and overall acceptance?

Raging success like the AZ or disastrous no-hoper like the Talman reissues?

My thoughts? How long before I can pick up one of the slant fret monstrosities on closeout, just for laughs... :D
My thoughts:
Were the ends chomped off by a shark or a pitbull? Either way, they look almost as undesirable as a ridiculously over-the-top DIY relic guitar.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The frets are tilted, as opposed to being fanned, which is something I have never seen before. I would like to play one to find out if the 8-degree tilt of the frets makes a significant difference or if it is just "six of one, half dozen of the other." Looks interesting.

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
I'm also interested in knowing who these are aimed at really.

It's not the "traditional" metal crowd.
It's not the original djent crowd.

Is there a whole swathe of polyphia/chon/Ichika Nito kids who are literally so unhappy with either the AZ or the S series that they need this?

I literally just don't know who this is aimed at, but then I've stayed at home for 18 months and I'm old, so...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I'm also interested in knowing who these are aimed at really.

It's not the "traditional" metal crowd.
It's not the original djent crowd.

Is there a whole swathe of polyphia/chon/Ichika Nito kids who are literally so unhappy with either the AZ or the S series that they need this?

I literally just don't know who this is aimed at, but then I've stayed at home for 18 months and I'm old, so...
Perhaps a revival of "Alt Rock" with a modern twist, so where first time round is was all the much derided Fender Jaguar, this time they have something else weird looking to play :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
709 Posts
The frets are tilted, as opposed to being fanned, which is something I have never seen before. I would like to play one to find out if the 8-degree tilt of the frets makes a significant difference or if it is just "six of one, half dozen of the other." Looks interesting.
Supposedly it alleviates fretting hand fatigue as the angle is more congenial to natural hand position (especially when doing barres), which might be beneficial to those who have rsi or pain from arm/shoulder injuries.

In the late 60s, Rickenbacker offered the option of an 8˚ tilt to the frets on the 360 model, and later on the solidbody 480. So I wonder where Ibanez got the idea (don't know if Rickenbacker got a patent/trademark on it originally).

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Supposedly it alleviates fretting hand fatigue as the angle is more congenial to natural hand position (especially when doing barres), which might be beneficial to those who have rsi or pain from arm/shoulder injuries.

In the late 60s, Rickenbacker offered the option of an 8˚ tilt to the frets on the 360 model, and later on the solidbody 480. So I wonder where Ibanez got the idea (don't know if Rickenbacker got a patent/trademark on it originally).
Rickenbacker offering it as option is interesting both because it’s an unusual option and because the idea has been offered before.
I wonder when we will see one in the wild?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh, I don't think Rickenbacker have made them since the early 80s, and up to that point sporadically. So, unless you find a used one, or can persuade them to do a custom order (they'd probably charge you a kidney)..

Another new promo for the Q. As usual, looks better than in promo pics.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Oh, I don't think Rickenbacker have made them since the early 80s, and up to that point sporadically. So, unless you find a used one, or can persuade them to do a custom order (they'd probably charge you a kidney)..

Another new promo for the Q. As usual, looks better than in promo pics.
My point was that Rickenbacker, an established guitar company, decided to offer slanted frets 40-60 years ago does set a precedent. Maybe not a strong one, but nothing is perfect. ;)

I am curious when we will see these Ibanez guitars in the wild given all the various shortages and delays.

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
I am curious when we will see these Ibanez guitars in the wild given all the various shortages and delays.
I’m also curious as to whether local stores will order them? I live in the suburbs of a small city and my local guitar store seemed (pre COVID) to be more traditional. They stock a seven string or two, but these might be going too far!

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I’m also curious as to whether local stores will order them? I live in the suburbs of a small city and my local guitar store seemed (pre COVID) to be more traditional. They stock a seven string or two, but these might be going too far!
Same here. Keen to try one out, but doubt I'll get the chance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My point was that Rickenbacker, an established guitar company, decided to offer slanted frets 40-60 years ago does set a precedent. Maybe not a strong one, but nothing is perfect. ;)

Ah, gotcha. I don't know much about Ricks, but it doesn't seem like this was a bigger production thing for them, even though they've always produced guitars on a smaller scale to begin with. Someone from outside but associated with the company brought the idea in (according to Tony Bacon's Rickenbacker book) - not much information out there.

I feel like this might be one of those 19th century ideas which didn't go far, maybe in central Europe or Russia (builders were pretty experimental at the time, and doing a lot of extended range instruments). The Spanish guitars always had straight frets and settled on six strings by the start of the 19th century.

I'd also be interested in trying one, though I don't know any places near me that would stock mid-tier and higher Ibanez.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oooooooooooo

meh, I’ll stick with the one and only original headless worth anything: GL2T

but hey at least Ibanez isn’t giving up since their silly ERG quest

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Ah, I remember the leak thread but I thought it was buried.
I initially didn't like these but the seafoam Q54 is growing on me. Seems like they're taking a long time to get to market as everyone online has them as "in soon." Maybe if they're around spring 2022 I'll get one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Novas right here in uegen Oregon makes fanned fret/multi scale guitars. It wasn’t for me. Maybe try before you buy.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts