Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do some modifications to my Jem Jr's pickups in order to achieve at least a somewhat similar tone to Steve's. I'm thinking about swapping the stock pickups with a Paf Pro for the neck and an Evolution 1/2 for the bridge of the guitar to match those of the pickups found in Steve's "Flo" Jem7vwh as I enjoy the tone of it. I'm not too worried about the middle pickup for now. Is this a stupid idea? I'm primarily looking for suggestions on a well-rounded tone. I know it may be better to save up for something like a premium or maybe an RG, however, I find the idea of modding something like a Jem Jr to be enjoyable.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
I enjoy the PAF Pro in the neck, it is one of my favourite sounds in the neck, and an Evo is definitely a popular choice. You may just need to lower the Evo a little to make sure that it doesn't overpower the PAF Pro too much, but overall I reckon you're on a good thing there.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have the Evo 2 bridge and Paf Pro neck in my RG520QS and it seems to be a good combo... I'm not a fan of real muddy neck pickups, but the Paf Pro sounds great. Probably the most useful neck pickup I've ever had in a guitar.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im glad man - yes, people have almost forgotten how great DiMarzio is but they are like the f'n original shred pups ever - PARTICULARLY the combo I laid out for ya (TZ/AN)

now a lot of other dudes go with the TZ/PF (pdf pro) in the neck, but THAT also is because often times there is a middle pickup so Theres 5 selector switch, meaning the PAF doesn't work alone (with the middle single coil pup, w/e it may be)

with that said - I think the Tone Zone in the bridge and the Air Norton in the neck - man I love the air Norton.....its just so smooth, round, but also clear and semi bright- its a very smooth lead pup

good luck circle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts