Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I bought myself an Ibanez js 1000. planning to tune it to drop c and wondering if the pickups gonna get it.
gonna play downtune death metal through a mesa boogie triple recto boosted with an overdrive.
must I change the pickups or can they handle it? have seymour duncan blackouts in other guitars

·
Registered
547 Posts
so I bought myself an Ibanez js 1000. planning to tune it to drop c and wondering if the pickups gonna get it.
gonna play downtune death metal through a mesa boogie triple recto boosted with an overdrive.
must I change the pickups or can they handle it? have seymour duncan blackouts in other guitars
Wow, wrong tool for the job, you won't get the sound you're looking for and it won't like the heavy strings you'll need for drop C.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What @wildrat666 is trying to say is that the guitar itself is wrong for the job. The neck is more rounded, the bridge and neck radius are very different and getting heavier strings on won't work well. Stock JS1000 pickups could be swapped but then again you could go for Blackouts (since you have used them before) but will need a complete wiring overhaul. JS1000 has bypass filters, push-pull arrangement and custom wiring that may not work properly with other pickups.

I could be wrong here but a Jackson might be a better fit or an RG550.

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
One genre of music is not determined by fretboard radius and you can put as heavy a strings as you want up to 13's on a JS, anything basswood will get loose anchors at some point bearing extreme tension but the guitar will play as heavy or as twinkle toes as you want. The player determines what comes out of the jack. Although there are guitars more associated with metal I would expect that to be more for the look than anything technical.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the guitar can do fast metal that I promille. I was just worrying about the pickups
Radius has nothing with genre....... carcass plays with old les Paul s as Entombed too so

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
Les Paul is flat radius, if you want comparisons you can say Ritchie Blackmore and a Strat, but that's OG metal ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'll be fine, it has a bridge humbucker lol.
hahahah true....... Im just worried about the dimarzio fred. Can it handle drop c? Ive now ordered strings so time will tell.
other ways it is a great guitar for metal ...fast neck and looks great (black pearl)

·
Registered
630 Posts
It wont be as hot as the blackouts as it's lower output, not that it's necessarily a bad thing though. I've never played a fred but looking at the dimarzio site FRED® | DiMarzio its a mid focused pickup, i'd imagine the tightness would pair well with lower tunings, and they say it's great "for both penetrating solos and tight rhythm tracks."!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,393 Posts
hahahah true....... Im just worried about the dimarzio fred. Can it handle drop c? Ive now ordered strings so time will tell.
other ways it is a great guitar for metal ...fast neck and looks great (black pearl)
Yes, I have my JS6 in Drop C. Does it Djent? Yes, yes it does.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I played in a band last year, in Drop C.... using 2 x JS1000s with 11s on..... fully floating and everything felt good and sounded nice and heavy...it can be done!

Dodgy video but you get the idea

·
Registered
205 Posts
I jut bought a JS1600 with the Fred bridge pickup. I was surprised at how well it sounded for Pantera style distortion/gain. I have Titans and Aftermaths in two other guitars and the Fred was actually tighter and clearer, but I played all with the same settings. Good pickup. I like the Seymour EMTY Blackouts too. Some go by the notion that high gain pickups and high gain amps and pedals just add up to too much gain and get muddy. The Fred proves this is accurate, but if you read Dimarzio's description they also say it tightens up really well. Try it out first.

And yes, you can play any kind of music you want to. Scale length may be the only limiting factor and Periphery uses the same scale length for all of their extremely down tuned music. I don't listen to them regularly, but their guitar players are very good.

Jut throw some upside down cross stickers on it and it will be "metal":twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::devil:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I bought a JS1200 a couple years ago from a guy here on Jemsite. It belonged to Ken Susi of Unearth back when he played Ibanez guitars, if I remember the story correctly. Still had stock pickups in it and Unearth was pretty heavy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts