Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was about to pull the trigger for a second hand semi-rusted S540FM for just $500 when I've found the specs of the KIKO10P.

It is almost x3 the price (new) but the specs look interesting. I would like to know if some of you have experience with it.

Some differences KIKO Vs S540FM:
Indo / Japan (who cares if the quality is good?)
Thick S body / Thin S body
24 Jumbo w Premium Edge Treatment / 22 used Jumbo frets (I prefer 24)
Edge Zero / Lo Pro Edge (a brand new Edge Zero Vs a worn-out Lo Pro Edge)
Alder / Mahogany
Ibanez QM pups / Dimarzio KIKO pups
5-piece maple walnut with KTS titanium rods / 1-piece maple
Cosmo Black / Gold (I hate how gold finish is worn out)
Side jack / Front Jack
No plastic bezel on 5-pos switch / ugly plastic bezel
Green!! / Green!!

Here is the actual pic of the S540FM I'm chasing
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

And the KIKO:
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument accessory

·
Administrator
7,493 Posts
To me the bridge is one of the most vital parts of the guitar and in some ways one of the most difficult to upgrade, especially if routing needs to be done. Changing the S540s pickups for a set of Dimarzios will be easier than changing the KIKO’s bridge for a proper Edge...

And... if that particular S540 is the exact one you’re looking at it already has a set of Dimarzios in it...

The 24 vs 22 fret thing is perhaps the hardest part to consider as to how much influence that needs to have on your decision!

·
Registered
938 Posts
There's a couple plus sides to the s540fm... 22 fret neck means it's easy to replace the neck if need be because it has the same neck pocket as a strat... You could get an aftermarket neck or a classic Ibanez neck. They float around all the time. Not that you would want to do that, but the option is nice. It has a lo pro... Either the original edge or lo pro will fit in that cavity if you ever need to replace it... The grain on that thing is gorgeous. Plus the price is nice! You could upgrade the hardware and still be under the cost of the new guitar too. I vote the s540fm... If you already couldn't tell 🤓😬.

·
Registered
991 Posts
$500 for a Japanese S with Lo Pro, figured top and F pickups? Bit of a no brainer in the current market. However, I'd want to know what condition the neck is in - whether it has cracks by the locking nut bolts and how much fret wear there is. Well, many of us here are biased, we love old Japanese stuff too much :D.

It's not too difficult to recondition the hardware (gold plating goes quickly anyway) to an extent with a product like Autosol. The one in the pic looks ok for the age - the plating seems to be mostly there except for the low E saddle.

The EZ has wider stud spacing than most aftermarket trems, so if you end up not liking it or whatever, you're kinda stuck. The Premium Kikos have the EZ II, afaik, which is put on the mid-tier guitars.

I don't know if anyone on here has a Kiko, they do seem nice, though the more recent (Japan) ones are based on the RGA.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been too slow. The S540FM was already gone when I've pulled the trigger 😭😅

I'm not going to get the KIKO10P, though. Unless I ever see a second hand for half the price or less

1 - 8 of 8 Posts