Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have (2) 1981 Ibanez AS-50 guitars. One is retired because of the autographs and the other is a working model. I swapped the original Ibanez VelveTune II machine heads on the working guitar as they kept slipping. Now it seems that the swapped Schaller gears that were on the signed guitar suck too and there is no fine tuning on the guitar. Any recommendations on what to replace the Schallers with? I do know that the Schaller screw holes are 90º to the Ibanez. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Mm, well, there's loads of choice these days. A lot of aftermarket tuners are decent and it can mostly come down to how much you want to spend on a set.

If you want to 'keep it in the family', as it were, Gotoh SG301 are an option (510 if you wanna splurge some $$, they're the premium level tuners). It's possible to get Gotohs with a variety of options in terms of buttons, locking or non-locking, 90˚ or 45˚ rear mounting screws.

Lots of people seem to like Hipshot stuff, which has loads of options also - locking, non-locking, staggered, open gear or sealed.

Grover Rotomatics have been a go-to for people replacing tuners on their Gibsony guitars for decades. Now it's possible to get them with different ratios, locking options etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts