Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a model 52
It was made in Nagoya Japan,but I can't date,any help would be appreciated, it was in a loft and filthy ,still sounded good,but have removed strings,tuning pegs and am cleaning at moment.
Denis

·
Registered
437 Posts
Does the picture help??
Sorta not really lol. The whole thing would be nice

If thats a student size guitar; then I think i have the EXACT same thing at my lake house. Fun as hell to play; but I sure hope you didnt spend too much haha. That fretboard is literally like luan plywood painted black lol. At any rate; unless someone remembers walking into the store and buying one of these as a kid, theres not much info for em; just some late 60s economy guitar.

·
Registered
437 Posts
yea hahaha Thats the one. I had no idea it was "made in japan" (my little sticker thing is long gone lol).

Ill just be honest with you; its kind of a crappy guitar. I really enjoy mine; its super fun to play. What are you looking to know specifically though?

Btw the color is literally called "reddish - browniish wood color" lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought it cheap on Ebay am restoring it for fun,during lockdown ,thank for info I can relax and have fun with it .
Thanks again Denis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It had steel strings on it,what do you think about putting on nylon strings???

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ok good; I was so worried you bought a "VINTAGE RARE MADE IN JAPAN IBANEZ ONE OF A KIND" and came here to valide it lol.

Nah go nuts man lol.

For strings uh... haha I've had the same set of steels on mine for ... 15 years? lol im not joking either They are mostly rust at this point i think haha

edit: LEAVE THE FRETBOARD ALONE LOL! I like to dink around with guitars and I do silly stuff some times; and I wanted to "get rid of the paint" to have a nice smooth fretboard ... NOPE. Its made from the same wood they make UV1000C's from, and thats NOT a compliment lol

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Cool... Thats the one thing I am missing in my house, a little classical guitar to pluck on. My dad has an old Alvarez that I like to play when I am home for a visit. I just dig that nylon string sound.

I would think that guitar was made for nylon strings... but I don't know much about old Ibanez acoustics at all!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cool... Thats the one thing I am missing in my house, a little classical guitar to pluck on. My dad has an old Alvarez that I like to play when I am home for a visit. I just dig that nylon string sound.

I would think that guitar was made for nylon strings... but I don't know much about old Ibanez acoustics at all!
Nope; its got steel rods in the neck; and its extremely short scale so the tension isnt high anyway. The top isnt exactly a fine tuned Taylor; Id think nylons would be pretty awful actually lol

Ha ha,thanks buddy !!!
No problemo :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great forum ,thanks all of you will try both and have fun !!Have a few guitars but am bidding on a Ibanez 12 string at moment,will keep in touch .
Thanks again Denis.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Nope; its got steel rods in the neck; and its extremely short scale so the tension isnt high anyway. The top isnt exactly a fine tuned Taylor; Id think nylons would be pretty awful actually lol
I see... I don't have a lot of experience in the acoustic world, but I assumed all guitars with open horizontal tuners like that were classical nylon string type. I guess I never saw one with a headstock/tuners like that with steel strings.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I see... I don't have a lot of experience in the acoustic world, but I assumed all guitars with open horizontal tuners like that were classical nylon string type. I guess I never saw one with a headstock/tuners like that with steel strings.
Nope lol. This guitar is weird and wonderful, but yeah, steelies are fine here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts