Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not very well versed in the realm of ibanez necks. There's the Wizard 1, the Wizard II, the III, I've seen super-wizard, then I think the premium-wizard, I think I've heard Prestige Wizard as well, ultra wizard, ultra wizard HP.. What's the Jem neck like in relation to these?

Can somebody explain the shapes and differences of each? I saw the history of the Wizard neck on the ibanez site but that was only for the original wizard. Which neck is more of a C shape than a D shape? My first ibanez guitar was a 350 with a wizard III neck, and it was more of a C shape neck. Which of the other wizards are more of a C shape than a D shape? I've never picked up a prestige ibanez with a neck that felt the same way as the Wizard III

And embarrasing enough I don't even know what neck is on my 1570. Would this be the prestige wizard? I just see a lot of talk about ibanez changing for thicker necks, thinner necks... Which ones are on the J custom as well?

*I also did search around quite a bit, looking at various threads and ibanez info on the ibanez wiki but I can't visualize using "mm at the first fret" into neck shape

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Okay here's how I understand the different necks (I have 3 different types personally):

Original Wizard (what you call Wizard I):

These are on the golden era Ibanez guitars like the old 5xx, 7xx, etc.

Wizard 2 I have no idea.

Wizard 3: This is typically the ones on the indo-made or Korean-made ones iirc (my RG350EXZ is Wizard III)

Prestige Wizard: They are all basically the same overall dimensions. This is where I say shapes could be different: My 2012 RG2550Z has the Prestige super wizard neck, however it feels closer to one of the golden era shapes (not as rounded as say a wizard 3). My 1550 however, feels a little more rounded in shape. Now if you look at any of the dimension specs for a 2012 RG2550 and a 2009 RG1550MZ, they look the same but they FEEL different (to me anyway).

J.Custom wizard: This is actually pretty darn close to the golden era shape. I think it's a tad thicker and a tad rounder but they are very close in feel.

Wizard Nitro: this is the neck on Iron label models.

your 1570 (depending on year) might feel like my 1550 or it could feel like my 2550. I cant say for sure as I have never touched a 1570 before :?

Also, this is just my understanding of the feels of different necks from trying different ones out at shops (or 1 of the five that I have here at home).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That helps a lot. So the original wizard is the "golden age" you talk about, so the old 550s and 770s and such. And the prestiges are the same dimensions but different shapes sometimes.

What makes a the prestige neck an ultra or super. Could this be those small differences that you talk about?

I actually found a diagram of a cutaway of the necks from probably the early ninties, and the JEM neck is a bit more of that C shape and the wizard I looks flatter.

I have to say I actually do prefer the wizard III neck feel over the thinner counterparts. Looks like I should just go buy a Jem lol

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The Wizard II, at least the MIJ WII I have is almost identical to the measurements of the fatter Jem necks (some have super wizards)...

As far as the exact shape goes it does vary slightly from year to year and guitar to guitar...

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I don't think there's an effective way to classify Ibanez necks. Because the MIJ necks are hand finished there are noticeable differences and measurements on necks of the same name.

Jesse spent a considerable amount of time cataloging the differences in many of his necks. Hopefully he'll come in here and elaborate more on it.

The MAIN differences between neck types are; thickness, width, and fretboard radius. The WizII is "basically" an original wizard with a 400mm radius.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
That chart has a ton of data, but I'm not sure how accurate it is, since it seems to think that the Wizard neck profile was first used in 1993.

Here's my understanding:

Original Wizard--these are the original block-style neck joint necks and the thinnest.
Thickness at 1st fret: 17mm
Thickness at 12th fret: 19mm
Radius: 430mm
Scarf joint.
Most susceptible to warping, but thinnnest.

Super Wizard--these are the 3 piece necks used on MIJ RGs between 1994 and 2002.
Thickness at 12th fret: 20mm (actually closer to 19.5mm)
Still very thin, and more stable.

Prestige Wizard--these are are the five piece necks that come on the lower-priced MIJ RGs in Ibanez's current lineup. Slightly thicker and wider due to the five piece construction.
Thickness at 1st fret: 18mm
Thickness at 12th fret: 20mm
Very stable, though a bit thicker.

Prestige Super-Wizard HP--these are the slimmest necks currently sold by Ibanez, and attempting to return to Original Wizard measurements (only wider).
Thickness at 12th fret: 19mm
Five piece construction--very stable, very slim.

Wizard II--these are thicker than the Wizard necks, and generally found on mid-range MIK and MII RGs.
Thickness at 1st fret: 19mm
Thickness at 12th fret: 21mm
Radius: 400mm
Thicker front to back than the Wizard and with a narrower radius, making bends slightly tougher (still much flatter than Fender).

Wizard III--same specs as the Wizard II, just widened to fit the 58mm neck pockets on the new guitars.

JEM--this is a tough one. The JEM neck profile has changed a lot over the years, although Ibanez hasn't changed the official numbers they list in the catalog. So, here's the numbers from the catalog:
Thickness at 1st fret: 19mm
Thickness at 12th fret: 21mm

On paper, this means that the JEM profile was originally like a Wizard II but with a flatter radius.

However, people who've played lots of them will you tell you that the JEM profile has gotten noticeably slimmer over the years to the point that it is now basically indistinguishable from the Super-Wizard profile. In fact, several of the late 90s JEMs (the DBK especially) seemed to just basically be Super-Wizard necks.

So if you play one of the first few JEMs (the LNGs, DYs, SKs), you'll find the neck profile to be a bit thicker than a Wizard.

If you play one of the middle year JEMs (the JEM7VWH for example), you'll find it starts a bit thicker but flattens out by the middle of the fretboard just like a Wizard.

And if you play a new one, I doubt you'd feel much difference at all from a Super-Wizard HP.

How's that for complicated?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see thanks! That makes a lot of sense! I have to say I'll probably have to go buy an earlier Jem because I really do like the thicker necks!

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
Jesse spent a considerable amount of time cataloging the differences in many of his necks. Hopefully he'll come in here and elaborate more on it.
As I've had guitars apart, I've measured both the width and thickness with a set of digital calipers. There are two generalizations you can generally make.

1. There is always some variability in the necks, even when they're the same spec.

2. Necks are usually slightly wider and slightly thicker than the published spec.

But what I ultimately found out is that the measurements tell you only half the story. The actual profile of the neck can change a LOT and have zero impact on the width or maximum thickness.

It is my opinion that newer Wizard necks are more D-shaped than older Wizard necks, which are much more C-shaped. The new necks feel thicker because there is more wood under your hand, particularly near the fretboard edges. I think the newer Wizards are actually a huge improvement and offer a nice balance between thickness and comfort.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I see thanks! That makes a lot of sense! I have to say I'll probably have to go buy an earlier Jem because I really do like the thicker necks!
Jem necks are fantastic and give you the additional benefit of being oil finished.

If you like beefy necks, a fantastic guitar is any of the RGT's.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Prestige Wizard--these are are the five piece necks that come on the lower-priced MIJ RGs in Ibanez's current lineup. Slightly thicker and wider due to the five piece construction.
Thickness at 1st fret: 18mm
Thickness at 12th fret: 20mm
Very stable, though a bit thicker.
There's also Premium Wizard, which is the same as Prestige Wizard only with a 400mm radius rather than 430mm. I don't believe there's much difference beyond that - except maybe the heat-shrunk plastic around the headstock.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
What about the wizard 4, anyone have any info or specs as to which version that is most like, I can't find much on them at all.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Anybody know what the extra square is on top of the truss rod in the wizard and Jem cutaways?
Looks like a double rod
I would imagine that's just the other part of the truss rod... the truss rod actually has two pieces that work together to create backbow or relief.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts