Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is my first post and not sure if its on the right subforum.

I know NOTHING about ibanez therefore im posting for some advice. The sound I am after is Nirvana.

Here's what I am after. I need a guitar that's small scale preferrable 24" or 24 3/4" scale, thin neck -- I am a small handed/short fongers guy. I do want to get Cobains tone so if humbucker pickups are not that great I could change them and put some seymors.

Can anyone recommend a model of ibanez that answers my criteria so I can explore further?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talman ??? C'mon man?

the jetking just by looking at it -- it is kinda ugly. they tried to sotof copy the jaguar but its turn very ugly to me. Reading some reviews of it , someone says its neck is kinda thick (the jetking 2)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
a majority of the rest of the ibanez lines are 25.5 scale or 25.1 or somewhere in between so you are limited if the scale is a huge factor to you. Why are you worried about the scale so much? If it's because of the short hands thing I don't think the scale is a big problem. I have pretty small hands and fingers as well I all play anymore is 25.5" scale RG's, S series and jems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, yes, it is about the small hands. I have had a 25.5 guitar and I have currently a 24" scale, a squier jagmaster. It is so much easier and feels better to play the 24" compared to the 25.5. I am alos abeginner guitarist so I might not have developed stretchiness as you guys.. but still. One example, I cannot play a powerchord with my pointing and ring fingers. I can only play them with poiting and pinky. Thats why the short scal is a factor.

Anywho, if you take out the short scale, then what a nice thin, fat play, comfy neck guitar that will get me the Nirvana sound?

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
"Kind of thick" for an Ibanez is still quite slim.

Basically, what you want is a Fender Jag-Stang. The closest Ibanez really does is the Jet King and the Talman, which you apparently aren't too fond of. Maybe one of the slimmer Artcore's would be an option - they're semi-hollow, which isn't REALLY the Nirvana tone, but it could be made to work.

Frankly, if you want an Ibanez with a good "alternative" vibe, you'd be hard pressed to beat this RG, imo:

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RGT220H

But really, Kurt's associated with mongrel Fenders, mostly. You can play Nirvana on anything and make it work - hell, I don't play much of Kurt's music these days, but I'd have no problems copping a Nirvana vibe on my white Universe seven string. But if you want the guitar that looks the part, Ibanez is probably not what you're looking for.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ibanez won't really suit Grunge styles of music...

... Unless you beat the hell out of it and stick in crap hardware/pickups in which case, just buy a cheapo Ibanez :p

You don't want an Ibanez for Cobain styles. You'd probably be better of getting a Fender Strat or Jaguar or whatever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marianozz said:
You seem pretty sure about the sound you're after... why Ibanez? :dunno:
Indeed I am !

Well, let me tell ya my dream guitar is a Fender Jaguar HH that u can get from japan for about 650 + 120 shipping, and then u can replace the ****ty pickups with seymors + 100-150 = 900

Thats a bit pricey for me, so that why someone recommended that ibanez make good guitars and with nice thin neck for "diabled" ppl like me :))

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Um, a decent Ibanez is no cheaper than a decent Fender. I think what you're looking for is a Squier Jaguier.

EDIT - this looks to be what you have in mind: http://www.squierguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=0320700500

two hums, 24" scale.

Further edit - do a search on Musician's Friend dot com - they offer two, one in black (although the pic looks red?) for $249, and one in sunburst or black for $291.

-D

·
Registered
937 Posts
No point in replacing the pickups in the Fender Jaguars.

As far as i know, the "Sh**tier" the sound the better for Grunge.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i have a jaguar and it's pretty versatile, great guitar for blues rock/classic rock. You can easily find a used jag on evilbay. The jetking is a great guitar, you should sit down and play one before you pass further judgements. The talmans are also spectacular guitars, if none of these options are viable to you. Get a squier tele or strat, they'll do the job fine and they actually aren't that bad for the money

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.