Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, In college now I get £30 a week just for attending college because apparently I'm not very privillaged! Hah I'm not complaining it's great. I don't spend this money I just let it go into my bank account and leave it there, I've worked out that by Christmas there will be enough there for a new guitar.

I'm thinking of a Paul Gibert 301 with the fixed bridge, what do you guys reckon? Is it a good guitar? It's a fair bit cheaper than a JS100/1200 and like a third the price of a jem. It's £650, which isn't THAT expensive, is it still a great quality guitar? What are the PAF Pros like?

Would you guys get the PGM, or would you get an RG?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
Heh...I was getting EMA that last year, it worked out very nicely. Also, you can get bonuses too, but make sure you do your coursework. :)

The PGM is a great guitar, I'm thinking of purchasing one fairly soon, it's a very good quality guitar, way up there with any Prestige RG. Extremely practical too.



Volume knob out of harms way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,445 Posts
Paf Pros sound awesome. To me, they're better than Evos (but that's just personal preference). The PGM301 is a great quality guitar. It's made in Fujigen after all (but make sure you get a good one!) I'm more of a tremolo user, so I'd go for an RG (Prestige). But if you don't care for tremolos and prefer to have a fixed bridge, then get the PGM. It's currently the only model with a maple fretboard too. :)

P.S: If you have the chance, try out the PGM beforehand. You may also want to look at the RGA series if you're into fixed-bridges and Mahogany bodies. But if you're into middle single-coils, then you may want to get the PGM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
Kamikaze_1 said:
Paf Pros sound awesome. To me, they're better than Evos (but that's just personal preference). The PGM301 is a great quality guitar. It's made in Fujigen after all (but make sure you get a good one!) I'm more of a tremolo user, so I'd go for an RG (Prestige). But if you don't care for tremolos and prefer to have a fixed bridge, then get the PGM. It's currently the only model with a maple fretboard too. :)

P.S: If you have the chance, try out the PGM beforehand. You may also want to look at the RGA series if you're into fixed-bridges and Mahogany bodies. But if you're into middle single-coils, then you may want to get the PGM.
I hated when they released the PGM with Lo TRS II trem back then :(. It wasn't right simply.

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'm really not sure what guitar to get now. Do you know if it's possible to add a tone control to the PGM, like with a push pull switch thing?

I'm looking at the JS1200 as well, but I don't really need the trem so I'd rather have a fixed bridge, ahhh! decisions!

I like the look of the RGA321 as well, but I can't afford to buy that and do a pup change in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
When i tried out the PG301 i found i didn't really like it. There were some aspects i loved and some i hated. I guess you've just got to see.

Love: The headstock. It looks so damn cool and is the only reverse headstock Ibanez produce at the moment to my knowledge
Hate: Bloody tunning! That headstock warped me out but i guess you can get used to it

Love: Fixed bridge - the action was pretty nice and low
Hate: I'm used to floating trems and as such i bend notes too far and it sounds horrible. I guess you can get used to that aswell but i didn't :p

Hate: When i tried out the guitar it just wouldn't stay intune. I guess a good setup would help that, but no matter how many times the guys stretched the guitar's strings and tunned it up, it sounded out of tune and went out occasionally.



Overall, i think it's a great guitar. I was going to get one but then i found an RG1550 :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chud said:
When i tried out the PG301 i found i didn't really like it. There were some aspects i loved and some i hated. I guess you've just got to see.

Love: The headstock. It looks so damn cool and is the only reverse headstock Ibanez produce at the moment to my knowledge
Hate: Bloody tunning! That headstock warped me out but i guess you can get used to it

Love: Fixed bridge - the action was pretty nice and low
Hate: I'm used to floating trems and as such i bend notes too far and it sounds horrible. I guess you can get used to that aswell but i didn't :p

Hate: When i tried out the guitar it just wouldn't stay intune. I guess a good setup would help that, but no matter how many times the guys stretched the guitar's strings and tunned it up, it sounded out of tune and went out occasionally.

Overall, i think it's a great guitar. I was going to get one but then i found an RG1550 :p
It seems me an you are opposites! Would you say that if you liked the fixed bridge more than a trem it'd be a great guitar? because i really don't want a trem, I never use the one on my strat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
zEr0 said:
I'd get an RG or an RGA if you really want the fixed bridge. ;)
Yes, but they don't come with PAF Pro's do they?? I just checked and found none.

I'm not so keen on the white finish of the 301...There's a lot of awesome RG prestiges out there though. I might want to buy one and put some PAF Pro's in there.

Damn those GAS attacks all the time...no no no! I'm not going to buy a new guitar this year...wait until te next...but I want it now!...I [email protected]#@#GAS$%fndsjskdsk aaargh....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
561 Posts
rchip said:
It seems me an you are opposites! Would you say that if you liked the fixed bridge more than a trem it'd be a great guitar? because i really don't want a trem, I never use the one on my strat.
Definitely go with the PGM, I don't see any dilemna here at all. If you really have no use for a trem, then there isn't much point in having the JS, trems just unnecessary headache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
krizz said:
Yes, but they don't come with PAF Pro's do they?? I just checked and found none.
Can't you just put them in yourself? I know they are not exactly free but it may still cost you less than a PGM. Maybe you even like the stock pups, I've heard they are not that bad really. RGA's have beautiful finishes as well and I just love the looks of the carved top... ;)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top