Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To Ibanez,

I have been a fan of your company since my first electric guitar I received at age 12 (an S370L).

Over the years I have kept checking your website and other retailers like Thomann.de, Andertons, PMT for any new left handed releases, but always find the selection disappointing.

My collection has slowly increased over this time from 1 to 4 guitars (S370, RGs and a JEM Jr).

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

I really want to expand my Ibanez collection more, because I like the aesthetic of them along with the thin Wizard necks are good for my fingers and the tone they produce.

On your website you consistently have:

• 2-3 budget (Chinese) guitar
  • 1-2 mid range (Indonesia) guitars + JEM JR white
  • 1 premium guitar /
  • 1 J custom guitar
Link - Left Handed Collection - Ibanez.com

So that leaves me with these options for increasing my collection:

• Wait for a rare or Premium Ibanez guitar on Ebay, Reverb etc.
  • Buy a Black RG and custom paint it and upgrade its components
  • Buy a Right handed Ibanez and flip the strings / bridge etc.

The second hand market for Left handed Ibanez's is very competitive so I would say there are Left handed players who are looking for Ibanez guitars.

Therefore could you please add some more variations and options for your Left handed electrics?

Thanks

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah that website, I had assumed because it is using outdated HTML and website style that it wasn't active.

I'm in the UK so unfortunately those guitars are out of reach to me.

I heard a rumor there is a person in the UK with a massive collection of left handed Ibanez guitars.

To give an example, the Guitar shop Andertons doesn't have an variations like that IbanezRules shop, it has the same offerings as shown on Ibanez's UK website.

So unless USA just has better options because of population or market size?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I disagree then, because every distributor has the same stock whether its UK based or in the EU, therefore I think its a limitation of supply chain or localized issue which compounds the already limited range on offer of left handed Ibanez guitars.

Also looking at this list on Reverb or Ebay, it shows very little variation in the global market, and I haven't seen anything different from it since COVID, which indicates:

1. The variations being made by Ibanez haven't changed greatly that are coming into the new/used guitar market for a few years.
2. Other variations are non-existant (this is either because people are holding onto them because they are rare, or just not available in the marketplace) - which is frustrating!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a left-handed person that plays right, I almost wonder if we would have been better off if the industry didn't make left-handed guitars at all. Introducing handedness as an option for guitar players probably only hurts them. Look at orchestral strings players, as well as countless other instruments that simply DO NOT offer "left-handed" instruments. There are TONS of people like me that just didn't follow the rules and overcame, and in many ways thrived, due to the inherent strengths of having your dominant hand doing the fretting. I watched Rick Beato's interview with Kiko Laureio (sp?) and he is said the same thing and is also a lefty that plays righty. I mean, regardless, I hope you find what you're after, sucks having such limited options, but as a lefty myself, I often wonder if all of us would be better off adapting to the instrument as is. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong on this, lol
I sort of agree but at the same time do not.

I am left handed when writing, using a mouse, picking my nose and wiping my a**

During the 1950s in the UK, they tried that logic to force left handed school kids to write with their right hands in the hope it would improve grades and legibility, it had the opposite effect.

Of course there are always exceptions to the rules.

(I wont say anymore to prevent offtopic)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts