Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have recently bought an Ibanez Jem 7VP and I have noticed that the finger slots of the monkey grip are sort of grainy/rough, although the rest of the monkey grip is polished. Is this a thing on the Jem for gripping purposes? It is my first Jem and I have bought it online so if it is a case of bad finish I would rather send it back while I still can. Please help me!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello! I have recently bought an Ibanez Jem 7VP and I have noticed that the finger slots of the monkey grip are sort of grainy/rough, although the rest of the monkey grip is polished. Is this a thing on the Jem for gripping purposes? It is my first Jem and I have bought it online so if it is a case of bad finish I would rather send it back while I still can. Please help me!
You will find that on all Jems, I can't tell you more than that but for certain every Jem I've touched or owned has had that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
thank you so much! made me much less worried
The reality is that it is a very hard area for them to sand and polish easily without many many more hours of hand tools and paper.

Because they can't really use tools, they can't really work it so they just dont.

Kind of like the painted areas inside the pickup or trem cavities.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2017 JEM7V doesn't feel rough on that area. It may depend on the time the builder has spent polishing that part, or on the wood itself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That may be true. Seems like yours was finished by someone who had a bit more pride in their work.

My jemjr is obviously no comparison to a real Jem, but mine isn't super super rough, just doesn't seem like they took the time to sand it at the 100, 200 stage and tried to smooth it over after paint.

As a lefty I will probably never even see a real Jem in person so who knows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That may be true. Seems like yours was finished by someone who had a bit more pride in their work.

My jemjr is obviously no comparison to a real Jem, but mine isn't super super rough, just doesn't seem like they took the time to sand it at the 100, 200 stage and tried to smooth it over after paint.

As a lefty I will probably never even see a real Jem in person so who knows.
I have a Jem 77fp, mine is not rough, smooth as silk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts