Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just finished this project and I’m starting to put together some photos and videos I took during the process. I thought I would post to some of the sites that have helped me out many times in the past.

This is a 2008 Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z I picked up on kijiji. I wanted to do something really different with this guitar. The plan was to swap out the original HSH pickups with a pair of new P-90’s (I ended up going with Suhr S90s), install all new electronics, and make a new pickguard to give it a very different vibe.

In other words I pretty much wanted to take this guitar in the opposite direction from what people tend to do with RG’s, most tend to take what is already a pretty aggressive guitar and make them even more aggressive, in both look and sound. I kinda wanted to go the opposite way and make it I guess you could say more nuanced. The thing is I really love these guitars, they play amazing, fantastic necks especially, great trem systems, and just super well made overall, just not the character I was looking for.

So I found some 3D CAD models of a stock RG on Grabcad and used them as a starting point to create the new design in SolidWorks. I also had some tortoise shell pickguard material kicking around that I thought would work well here. When I get a chance I’ll post some pics of the actual work.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a trial pickguard using a 3D printer from the CAD files, and I’m glad I did because after using the guitar for a couple of weeks that way I decided to make a few changes to the design. Most notably I switched the locations of the tone pot and selector. Final pics of the finished guitar and demo link still to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
I always loved the ghost shark inlays.

Particularly the one that was like a silver inlay on a maple board.

Practically impossible to find in lefty tho

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Sure turned out nice... Great job! Definitely sounds different too. I have a soft spot for the P90 sound, my dad played a '71 Les Paul Recording w/p90's from the mid-70's until he switched to nylon string guitars later in life. Versatile sound that worked for classic rock, country, etc. Thanks for posting links to the instrumentals too... Interesting and unique style you have, but has a Beck-ish feel in some ways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.