Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks.

I have an Ibanez RGR321EX (basswood body, maple neck) that currently has DiMarzio Super Distortion (B) and DiMarzio PAF Pro (N) on it for the past 7 years and I'm looking to replace them with the Entwistle HDN set or Darkstar set or Darkstar ND set.

Currently I have the HDN set on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard and it sounds glorious for blues, hard rock, and can even do Pantera really well!

For my basswood RG however I'd like to ask if the Darkstar or Darkstar ND would sound great on it. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
I'm not familiar with the pickups you are inquiring about, but I guess the important thing is, what are you trying to get out of your guitar, tone-wise?

The pickups you currently have installed are pretty good for most rock styles, and a pretty classic pairing to boot. What is it about them that isn't working for you?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not familiar with the pickups you are inquiring about, but I guess the important thing is, what are you trying to get out of your guitar, tone-wise?

The pickups you currently have installed are pretty good for most rock styles, and a pretty classic pairing to boot. What is it about them that isn't working for you?
Thanks!

I'm trying to get a new sound with it since I have the same sound for the past 10 years on that RG.

Right now I'm quite "fed up" with how too in-your-face the Super Distortion is, and how thin the PAF Pro is as a neck pickup.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some good times with them!

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Interesting. I've got no experience with those pickups, but another popular combo is the Tone Zone and Air Norton. The Tone Zone is still pretty thick and full though. I reckon maybe a Norton and Air Norton may suit you in this situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts