Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am in a search for my 7-stringer, altho i am kind of an old dog for new tricks.

a) i started to really dig the demos, videos and sound of
hellraiser c7 fr

b) while i found a real good deal on this prestige ibby :
ibanez rg 1527

facts/questions :
- I have average hands, palm is 10cm thumb->little finger so scale might be a problem
- i really like the Schecter's sound and looks, from the clips it sounds fantastic
- i am an ibby fan boy, since my ARZ800 performs really well
- the ibby prestige shreds really nice
- the ibby is more light? is the schecter a pain to hang on the shoulders?

I must go out and try them out, if i find any time.

Which one would you choose for "home" usage? I only shred at home. No gigs, no bands, no personal time, no personal life LOL, etc..

Also i had interest in UV70p, and RG927QMZ.

Any opinions on those two?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey man, this is a good question :)

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of playing either axe but, I know my guitars well and when I get a 7 string, it WILL be an Ibby. They pioneered the 7 string (think Vai's Universe). If all 7 string guitars were part of a solar system, Ibanez's Universe would be the SUN...

That makes me have a lot of confidence in them. The UV70P I played was AMAZING! Even an entry level GIO was pretty good for the price...
The fact that you're looking at the RG1527 which is a Prestige model means you'll never be disappointed with it :) The feel of the neck alone is a winner for me. I'd like to hear how the V77 and 88 pups sound!

Now, Schecter make really good guitars! This http://www.schecterguitars.com/international/guitars/hellraiser-c-7-247-2013-11-21-252-detail looks awesome! I am sure it will play well. The hardware choice is very good too - so metal :D Those EMG's yo...

All in all, it's a close call I'd say. Please try them out first if at all possible. I'd love to do the same but, right off the bat, the Ibby is a winner for me. On the other hand it's hard to say without actually pitting both guitars against each other. One thing is for sure - the wood type and pickups in each guitar will make a distinct difference in sound. I can almost imagine the added bite and growl from the EMG's...

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
The hell raiser has some really nice points to it (set neck, EMG's, mahogany body) They don't come with an OFR. They come with a Korean Floyd which means eventual stability problems.

The 1527 and the C-7 look, feel, and sound completely different. If I HAD to buy without trying, I wuld buy the 1527 only because of it's better quality hardware.

It may also help to know that the C-7 is MIK while the 1527 is MIJ.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey man, this is a good question :)

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of playing either axe but, I know my guitars well and when I get a 7 string, it WILL be an Ibby. They pioneered the 7 string (think Vai's Universe). If all 7 string guitars were part of a solar system, Ibanez's Universe would be the SUN...

That makes me have a lot of confidence in them. The UV70P I played was AMAZING! Even an entry level GIO was pretty good for the price...
The fact that you're looking at the RG1527 which is a Prestige model means you'll never be disappointed with it :) The feel of the neck alone is a winner for me. I'd like to hear how the V77 and 88 pups sound!

Now, Schecter make really good guitars! This schecter looks awesome! I am sure it will play well. The hardware choice is very good too - so metal :D Those EMG's yo...

All in all, it's a close call I'd say. Please try them out first if at all possible. I'd love to do the same but, right off the bat, the Ibby is a winner for me. On the other hand it's hard to say without actually pitting both guitars against each other. One thing is for sure - the wood type and pickups in each guitar will make a distinct difference in sound. I can almost imagine the added bite and growl from the EMG's...
Thanx!
I do not think EMGs are that hot. I have the EMG81 in another Ibanez of mine (ARZ800) and i would rate it kind of hot-ish in the medium output humbuckers category. Nothing close to SuperDist not to mention livewires!

I will definitely have to try them both.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hell raiser has some really nice points to it (set neck, EMG's, mahogany body) They don't come with an OFR. They come with a Korean Floyd which means eventual stability problems.

The 1527 and the C-7 look, feel, and sound completely different. If I HAD to buy without trying, I wuld buy the 1527 only because of it's better quality hardware.

It may also help to know that the C-7 is MIK while the 1527 is MIJ.
Thanx bro, also the 1527 is for 950 EUROs while the C-7 for 1277 .

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
......As Rolan said above- the EMG's FAR outperform the lethargic V7-7/V8-7 set in the 1527.
Maybe, if those V7-7/V8-7 are REALLY low output HBs. Cause, i dont know, my EMG81/60 set, although i LOVE IT for its sound, harmonics, etc... it has two little problems :

a) not so hot
b) can be noisy under insane distortion, especially EMG81. SuperDist, livewires, fast tracks/chopper all sound less noisy

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanx!
I do not think EMGs are that hot. I have the EMG81 in another Ibanez of mine (ARZ800) and i would rate it kind of hot-ish in the medium output humbuckers category. Nothing close to SuperDist not to mention livewires!

I will definitely have to try them both.
You really think the EMG81 isn't hot? Whenever I play it, I'm always happy with it's output... then again my D Activator X passive pickup in my RG470FM is HOT too :D

Did your ARZ come stock with the EMG's?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have to drop that Ibanez. I called the GREEK dealer, and he said :

a) I cannot test it, inspect it, play it, see it, smell it, touch it before I order it, and pay it
b) I can return it, but only to buy smth of equal value, AND NOT MY MONEY BACK

Are those guys for real?

Anyways now i got gas for this one : http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg...=3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=35&color=CL01
Looks like an epic guitar!! If you can afford it, please buy it! That baby is also a Prestige like the 1527 but has a mahogany back body (which will influence the sound in a different way to basswood although I'm not saying either wood type is better than the other) and Dimarzio PAF's with ceramic magnets - VERY cool, versatile yet hot enough pickups for chunky, low rhythms, punchy mids and smooth highs :D

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You really think the EMG81 isn't hot? Whenever I play it, I'm always happy with it's output... then again my D Activator X passive pickup in my RG470FM is HOT too :D

Did your ARZ come stock with the EMG's?
yes stock. Well, i dont mean that EMG 81 is weak, i meant that this is average to hot.

However, as tone is concerned, i agree that the EMGs are the sweatest of all. Fantastic clean tone (my wife would give stares over this), ultra creamy leads, fantastic harmonics everywhere on the fretboard!

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like an epic guitar!! If you can afford it, please buy it! That baby is also a Prestige like the 1527 but has a mahogany back body (which will influence the sound in a different way to basswood although I'm not saying either wood type is better than the other) and Dimarzio PAF's with ceramic magnets - VERY cool, versatile yet hot enough pickups for chunky, low rhythms, punchy mids and smooth highs :D
thanx Rolan,

is the Edge Zero -7 also chinese like Edge Zero II-7? I have read nasty stories on stripped plates about the latter.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a 3727 back in January even before they were released back in January. A beautiful guitar. Sadly mine developed a slight twist in the neck which upset me a lot because this is the 7 string I wanted. The bridge is the weak point on that guitar. Be weary of the intonation studs.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Played the Schecter yesterday, new, right out of the box. Good points that I liked :
- good looking
- lightweight
- thin neck, easy to play
- good quality hardware
- good pups (EMG splitable, really nice in both modes), good electronics
- the longer did not bother me, although the strings felt way to spagheti soft for my taste

Points that I hated, and which i believe would not be dealt with a good setup :
- nut too high
- high action (over 1.6mm 24th fret high E, 2.5++mm low B), although the relief must have been below or at 0.4mm -> 0.5mm range
- extreme buzzing after the 12th fret, especially in low E,B,G strings
- an overall sense of the guitar being "cheap"

Strangely the guitar did not buzz that much when played by the shop guy. He could not justify how the guitar had both buzz and high action, and was somewhere between "yes we could raise the action a little bit, and .... yes the action might be lowered a little bit"

The explanation I have is that the neck bow formed not a long C, as with any good guitar, but rather a V. This means abnormal high action in the middle of the fretboard - 8-10th fret, and buzzing after the middle - 12th fret and higher.

If i compare this Made in Korea Schecter and the factory stock setup, and overall quality of my Made in China Ibanez ARZ800, the ARZ800 is way better. I can achieve much less buzz with much lower action, and the instrument feels more stable, stronger.

I was ready to dump the uv70p idea and go straight for the Schecter. Now not so much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
At the end of the day, your basically asking Fender vs Gibson. I have always loved the looks of Gibsons and Schecters, but I just feel more comfortable with the strat style guitars like the RG's.,

Obviously i vote the Ibanez, Also think about how much all that bling on the Schecter cost. Probably not heaps but still, they would have to cut costs somewhere, where as the Ibanez is a no nonsense, quality Japanese professional grade instrument made by experts.

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At the end of the day, your basically asking Fender vs Gibson. I have always loved the looks of Gibsons and Schecters, but I just feel more comfortable with the strat style guitars like the RG's.,

Obviously i vote the Ibanez, Also think about how much all that bling on the Schecter cost. Probably not heaps but still, they would have to cut costs somewhere, where as the Ibanez is a no nonsense, quality Japanese professional grade instrument made by experts.
You pretty much nailed it. But I am not going for this prestige, since they dont allow me to see it, and offer no return policy or guarantee, so I am ordering the made in Indonesia UV70p instead.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Panix- Have you considered buying an RG752? In the price range that your looking at, you should be able to buy one from Rich here in the US and have it shipped to you for around the same cost as the Schecter. I own the 752 in CBM. It's a superior instrument to the 1527, IMO.

The 752 is the perfect mix of the best parts of the 7620 and the 1527. They took all the best parts of each and put them together into one guitar.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg752cbm.htm

1 - 20 of 38 Posts