Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was into the local GC yesterday and saw this...

Plays nice looks kinda cool - faux EMG's (designed by EMG w/ Ibanez on 'em)

I'm thinking it's a gravure and not a real quilt - how would I tell? It does dance like a real quilt. They had these specially made for GC I guess and had 4 other colors (a blue & red quilt and solid black w/ white binding or solid white with black binding - the solid colors had centered dot inlays, while the quilted versions have sharktooth.

Anyone see these anywhere else?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw the red one and the black one at GC in Bham AL yesterday. The neck was a little thick than the Wizard (Wizard II?). The binding around the neck looked like plastic and the binding around the body had some overspray on it. The guitar looked very good other than that. I compared this one to the RGA121 they had. They both played good. You could compare this RG with a similar built in Korea Schecter.

I would give anything if they made a quality prestige model with a regular hardtail like this one. From a few feet away.....this RG made my jaw drop.

Not impressed with the RGA121. It was solid and the neck felt good, but I didnt like the small dot inlays and the overall finish on the body was not what I expected.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jim777 said:
Did they look at you funny when you put it on the floor to take photos of it?
LOL - Jim I'm laughing! It's my floor! I bought it! I'm sure they would have though. I'm still curious if this is a photo quilt or a 1mm veneer. Man it looks awful convincing. Anyone have any suggestions on RQI (real quilt identification)????

Buck - Funny but I scored a brand new RGA 121 a few weeks back at a very good price and it's OK. I'm in this hard tail mode it seems. I just saw this and said the same thing - whoa nice looking guitar and more importantly for me... it's unique.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Nice score Mark! I think I'd just take the neck off and see if there was giveaway in the pocket about the top; it might be obvious without the binding. I bet that neck is sweet! Gotta love a bound fretboard.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm guessing that it's one of those photo-flames because it just looks too damn perfect to be real. You also don't see a line going down it anywhere where they merged two pieces of wood together to make it which you generally see on the korean flames. But I still can't get over how damn good that guitar looks....and you say it's made in Indonesia? How does their quality compare with Korea?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
If I could find a store in the UK that sold these, I would get one this instant! If anyone hears of anywhere in the UK that gets them in, give me a shout by all means if you could. Its looks like a cracking little guitar. Just my thang - fixed bridge, simple. It would go nicely with my RG421. I know it is a "lower-priced" guitar, but dang do I want one! Lovely geetar!

·
Registered
20 Posts
At GC, this guitar was $399. Pretty good price. If you were looking for a quality lower priced guitar....this would be great. But from a prestige level (all Ive played for 3 years now) I would be disappointed after I got that guitar home.

It had that light as a feather feel. Mahogany is usually heavier. My S1520 was heavier than this RG and its an inch thinner.

I really would spend the money if they would put out the swamp ash RG model with a fixed bridge like this one. Iam not sure whats the hold up on a quality RG with a standard hardtail. Wouldnt these be cheaper to manufacture?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lyconxero said:
I'm guessing that it's one of those photo-flames because it just looks too damn perfect to be real. You also don't see a line going down it anywhere where they merged two pieces of wood together to make it which you generally see on the korean flames. But I still can't get over how damn good that guitar looks....and you say it's made in Indonesia? How does their quality compare with Korea?
Well I took the neck off and it looks like it's a 1 mm veneer and not a photo. There is a distinct line down the middle where it's matched. As for the quality:

- tuners are not Gotoh
- The gunmetal finish will tarnish quickly
- The frets aren't as level as they should be (there's some buzz here & there but mainly because I lower the action to next to nothing) I just need to set it up better and it'll be great.
- The binding is plastic

My take - who cares? I'm gonna play it and it does look cool! It'll look great with a set of cream colored DiMarzio's in it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
For what it is, the guitar looks pretty nice. I'd rather see some prestige level hardtails though. Something with a maple fingerboard, or a swamp ash body. Maybe there'll be one offered for 06'. I'm not holding my breath though. --Jason

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.