Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just picked up an RG550-PN for a discounted price due to a chip on the back of the guitar:

Helmet Purple Automotive lighting Pink Violet

Does anyone know if Ibanez sells repair paint for this? If not, is there an off-the-shelf alternative? I'm in the UK, if it helps.

Thanks

·
Administrator
7,493 Posts
I haven't heard of Ibanez (or Headstock, the UK distributer) selling paint. I'd probably live with the chip, but if I was 100% set on getting it repaired, my first call would be to headstock to see if they can get you any specific information on a paint code and then I'd probably look at my local car body shop who've also sprayed everything from bicycles to electricity meter boxes for a housing developer!

There are a few good UK paint repairs by Rob Williams in the middle of Wales had a particularly good reputation when I last looked into that sort of thing :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hey all,

Just picked up an RG550-PN for a discounted price due to a chip on the back of the guitar:

View attachment 19679

Does anyone know if Ibanez sells repair paint for this? If not, is there an off-the-shelf alternative? I'm in the UK, if it helps.

Thanks
Try to find as close a match as possible at a hobby shop or somewhere. I’d also try calling Hoshino Bensalem and possibly see if they could maybe give you a paint code. Long shot, but worth a try.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks all - guitar just arrived and it really isn't too bad. Some buzz at the frets 1,2,3 - just looking at upping the action - but.... do these re-issues have locking screws in the posts? My 1.5mm isn't finding anything.

Edit: Found it - it was really screwed out!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Getting that professionally repaired will cost over the odds (unless you "know" someone), but anything that gets the bare wood closer to the paint colour will make the chip less noticeable.

Nail polish is a cheap and easy DIY option. I'm guessing it would be more durable than acrylic model paint.

Another option would be a car paint chip repair kit (e.g. Car Touch Up Paint - Search by Reg). You may be able to get a colour match made up (if you can get Headstock / Ibanez to confirm the colour code).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts