Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My RG550 just arrived yesterday. First thing I did was tune it up, this balanced out the tremolo but I found that action was way too high for me (made my Strat feel like butter!). So I lowered a bit until it was almost on par with my Strat (very slightly higher), I'm afraid to make it go any lower cause I don't know much about double-locking trems and don't want to screw anything up.

Anyway, a few questions:

1) The strings are a bit of a ***** for me to bend right now (and long legato passages), I can manage but it takes a lot of effort, should I continue to lower the action (or bring it to a tech) or just lower a bit until it's the same as my Strat and move down to .9s?

2) The high E string slips off the fretboard very easily, what can I do about that?

3) How should the Edge been balanced? Should it be parallel to the body?

4) The trem seems a bit stiff for divebombing but at the same time, it's very sensitive. Just touching the trem bar would cause vibrato

5) I'm not a big fan of the jumbo frets, can I get them replaced with medium jumbos?

6) Necks feels rather sticky, is there anything I can do about it?

Other info:
Strings on now are 10-46s
There are 3 springs in the back

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
moving it down to .09's would help alot. which is why i prefer 9's, easier for bending and tapping and legato.

high e slipping MAYBE, because the neck is slightly crooked, could try unscrewing a bit and try and get it straight.

Edge should not be parallel, knife edges should be parallel to the body, it should 20-30 degree elevation. check the trem setting guide on ibanez rules for pictures.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

not sure about 4, but my edge is pretty stable yet flexible. you could try a different configuration for the springs on the back.

I don't think it'd be worth replacing unless you have the money to shell out.

sticky neck, sand and tung oil !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply

I just replaced the strings with some new ones (.10s, only ones I've got) and lowered the action a bit more. Didn't seem to help a whole lot so yeah I think I will try some 9s

Cool, I guess the trem is level then :D

I think I might get a tech to do all that, I'm not good at these things and have a tendency to mess screw up the easiest of jobs

Hmmm...I don't have the money now but hopefully my fingers will get used to the frets by the time I save up enough. I;m hating these damn jumbo frets!

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts