Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 550EX from year 2000 with THE WORST mods ever seen: V pickups replaced with Kent Armstrongs, a toggle switch added in between the volume and tone (use a push pull dummy), what seems like garden shed varnish added with a brush to the back of the neck and what I will call, Er, 'custom graphics' to the body.

Anyway, it was priced for less than the original edge trem was worth so I went for it and have restored it to standard wiring, refinished the body and neck, installed dimarzio PaF Pro/Hs3/Norton pickups and set up. It's immense! The original edge is the best trem I've ever played and the Norton is the most underrated of pickups.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,397 Posts
Congratulations, well done and on behalf of everyone here, thank you, on the restomod!

Oh and agreed, the Norton is massively underrated!

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Great job! I like the Norton as well as the Paf Pro, but never had them the same guitar. I'll bet it's a killer combo though!

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's a shame people have to treat nice guitars so shabbily. I'm glad someone appreciates it. I picked up a 2001 520qs for less than an Edge myself, but it was original & practically pristine. There's a lot of good buys out there if one is patient & keeping eyes open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great job! I like the Norton as well as the Paf Pro, but never had them the same guitar. I'll bet it's a killer combo though!
You know what, it's a brilliantly balanced combo with just the right output for me. I mainly get my tone from pedals so never use excessively high output pickups and these two are as perfect a combo as I've ever played. I'm a Norton fanboy for life now. So much mid and beef without being shrill or glassy. It's the unsung hero of the Dimarzio range.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You know what, it's a brilliantly balanced combo with just the right output for me. I mainly get my tone from pedals so never use excessively high output pickups and these two are as perfect a combo as I've ever played. I'm a Norton fanboy for life now. So much mid and beef without being shrill or glassy. It's the unsung hero of the Dimarzio range.
I do the same with pedals... mostly just one multi-pedal (me-80). I used the Paf Pro in the neck position on an RG520qs and the Norton in the bridge of an SZ320, both sounded great in those guitars... Especially the Norton in the SZ bridge, but I just can't wait to pull them out and put them in the same guitar now. I'm in the process of thinning out the guitars I own and settling in to just a few that I can't live without, one of them will have your same combo for sure. Thanks for the feedback on them as a set!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts