Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've had my 2001 RG570 for a long time now and I've always had a bit of an issue with noise.
The original V7 and V8 pickups have been replaced with a pair of DiMarzio The Breed pickups by the previous owner and I'm happy with how they sound.
The volume pot has been wonky for some time so I finally replaced it myself and redid the wiring while I was at it.

After putting it back together I tried it out and immediately noticed the large amount of noise when playing with distortion. I'm not sure if it's always been that bad and I just learned to ignore it or if it's new. I'm not talking about 50/60 cycle hum, since this occurs in all positions. I know it is most likely interference from electronic devices in the area, especially my computer, but it is way too loud to be considered normal. Neither my 1975 Ibanez 2350 Les Paul Custom copy nor my Epiphone Annihilation V have this issue.

It is bad enough that I have to use the noisegate on my amp, which I otherwise never need.

From what I can tell I wired everything correctly, well except that it's using the neck coil of the humbucker in position 4, but I don't mind that.

I think the ground connection to the conductive paint in the cavity isn't working right. I'm not sure if it actually is conductive paint since my multimeter doesn't get any continuity, but it sure looks like it. There's also a wire screwed into the body under the single coil so it touches that paint. I wired that to the back of the Volume pot for ground.

I attached two pictures of the back cavity and here is a link to a short recording of the noise: https://voca.ro/1nA34phcRwRL

I'd be glad for any help I get and thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since writing this post I have now shielded the pickup cavities, the electrics cavity and the output jack cavity with copper foil.
It has made no difference. I'm pretty sure now that my computer just radiates interference and that the RG tends to pick it up more than my other guitars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi....I have a crunch lab with a gravity storm neck in a RG750 and I truly burrow it. That guitar has really been the proving ground for a huge load of pickups as I got it fresh out of the box new in 1993. My discoveries are I incline toward pickups that have pushed highs and lows as the guitar normally has an adjusted middy tone. Another pickup that functioned admirably in it was Steves Special.

Never attempted the Alt8 in it however I had a JB8 in it and that didnt do it for me. The A8 has such a large number of mids for a generally mid hefty guitar for me. Its like this enormous mass of sound that is thick similar to peanut butter on the top of your mouth. Its a good time for a tad yet then gets irritating after a piece.

Wish I had more involvement in the high yield BKP's I have their Stockholm and the Riff Raff however havent gotten an opportunity to play their heavier pickups so I cannot help much there.

order pcb

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't see how any of that relates to The freak's issue...

So does your noise go away depending on how you are positioned in the room? For example if you rotate your position does it change? Does the sound go away if you physically touch a ground... Like the spring claw? Could it possibly the jack? I have 3 of the same model guitar, my magomi cable will not work in them... it works great in my les paul... and my bass. It buzzes like crazy with my radius guitars, but my monster cable works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts