Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I took the neck of from my '92 RG750 and at my surprise the stamp on the body says NRG-550.
Now the second 5 is hand written. I'm not the first owner so WTH!
The stamp on the neck says rg750. Did someone replaced the body or what? And what does NRG means?
Please help i'm desperate my whole world just crashed

·
Registered
666 Posts
Take seat... Breathe calmly... take hold of your surroundings.

Now before you took the neck off this guitar, everything was fine right? I assume you loved your guitar. Now why would a neck pocket stamp change all that? Further on you should know that the 550 stamp is used on all front routed japanese made RG series and Prestige models too because it`s the same cnc design, the paint and tops can vary, but none the less.

Anyways, the most iportant part of an ibanez will always be it`s neck. Now i`m still only fresh to the world of Ibanez (1 year or so), but i doubt i am wrong. And if i am , someone else will clarify. Meanwhile, you might want to take pictures, it will help us help you much better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx man i'm still crazy about it but the weird thing you calmed me down a bit,)
I had an RG760 before and he had an RG760 stamp on it.
Do you know for sure that this thing happened before? I mean 500 stamp on 700 series? But what does NRG means?
It says NRG-550 and the second number 5 is hand written! The whole thing is so weird and i'm so angry.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My 1989 RG750 has RG550 on the neck pocket(and an annoying 1988 serial number on the plate which had me confused for years), and that damn "WALRJ-24T" code on the neck. The bodies are all the same, the RG7xx didn't get better basswood, or a deeper rout, or anything like that. It's the neck and pickups which were the big deal. ;)

Best guess is if the RG550 and 750 came in the same finish that year, you're likely to find they used the exact same bodies for both. Same for the RG560/760, and early RG570/770 before they went to direct mount pickups on the 770.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It's jus the neck they used. Probably was in parts storage as most companies make many pieces and put them together. Later on the inlays and finishing were done. The quality is the same as the 750, but not cosmetically or electronically. So the necks right for the guitar.

I'm sure that if I took my 560s neck off it would say 550 on it. That was the most popular guitar of the time and as far as schematically it would fit any AANJ guitar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man feewh.
Its cool i thought someone cheated me and messed with the parts.
I previously owned RG760 on the neck was 760 and on the body 750 but that is the same series. I actually thought that the 500 and 700 series was way different. I mean that the 700 series is superior to 500 not only with hardware.
Its a small disappointment to me,(

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
i assume the "N" is for Neck, or who knows? anyway, keep breathing man, i've seen many N stamped Ibanez necks. here's one of mine (RG410PW, not BK as stamped):

·
Registered
206 Posts
who knows...maybe the stamp was bad and the craftman wrote it by hand!
Yes the quality of stamps went down hill in the last few years. Before they used stamps made in Japan but now they use stamps made in Korea and Indonesia. I wish Team J-Craft made all their stamps like in the 90's. Dam you Ibanez!

What were we talking about again?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Yes the quality of stamps went down hill in the last few years. Before they used stamps made in Japan but now they use stamps made in Korea and Indonesia. I wish Team J-Craft made all their stamps like in the 90's. Dam you Ibanez!

What were we talking about again?
:lol::lol:

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I actually thought that the 500 and 700 series was way different. I mean that the 700 series is superior to 500 not only with hardware.
No difference. An RG750 is an RG550 with neck binding, different inlays, and slightly better pickups. The quality of the guitars is the same.

·
Registered
510 Posts
yeah, a 550's neck IS quality. It is possible that the previous owner wrote in the 5? who knows? I wouldn't worry about it, just be happy you have a great playing Ibanez!

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
It's very much like comparing the RG1570 to the 2570. Quality-wise, they're both on par with each other, neither is built better than the other.

The RG5xx and RG7xx series guitars were essentially yesterday's Prestige range.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
It's very much like comparing the RG1570 to the 2570. Quality-wise, they're both on par with each other, neither is built better than the other.

The RG5xx and RG7xx series guitars were essentially yesterday's Prestige range.
Well, they were actually the standard Ibanez guitar of the day, before Ibanez shipped most of their production to nations still running on Kerosene power and water buffalo, and the quality dropped to the point that they had to have a special range of "prestige" instruments to keep higher price point customers satisfied........

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
MIJ Ibanez have never been less than very good. The RG5xx and 7xx series quality never dropped. You make it sound like they did but that's not true. The only thing "better" about Prestige guitars vs. RG5xx and up is the fretwork. RG7xx were expensive in their time. My 750 cost almost £800 way back in 1990. That price didn't even include a case.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi guys.
I took the neck of from my '92 RG750 and at my surprise the stamp on the body says NRG-550.
Now the second 5 is hand written. I'm not the first owner so WTH!
The stamp on the neck says rg750. Did someone replaced the body or what? And what does NRG means?
Please help i'm desperate my whole world just crashed
Nah man, don't listen to these people. You're guitar is a counterfeit. Back in the day, there were many fake Ibanezes made with that exact problem. I will buy it off you for 100 dollars shipped. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Look at the neck, the correct neck will be fully bound with sharktooth inlays. In the early days, Ibanez stamped a lot of necks with the 550 stamp but put them on 560 and 570 models as the necks are the same(except for the binding and inlays). No idea on what the N stands for(maybe BOUND). Once they switched to the AANJ, almost all the RG necks are stamped ARG570 even if mounted on 520 and 550 models.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
dont worry man... if the necks is the right one you shouldnt be afraid... remember that ibz used to use the same necks on all models... because there was no change... the 500 series is the same one as the 700... you know... but you should keep in mind that the only thing that changes are the inlays... that's it!! so take it easy...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts