Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez RG9

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Olwdillchips 
#1 ·
Schecter have with price the C-9 on their web site, Ibanez made a big noise at NAMM with the RG-9, so why the delay??

#4 ·
A 9 string is just silly enough for me to want one. But, in my opinion, without a multi scale neck then a 9 string isn't practical. My ideal tuning for that many strings is

F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A

It's essentially 8-string standard tuning plus a high A4. I feel as if the F#/dropped E is low enough for what I'd do. The current scale length on the RG9 is (much) to long for a high A and juuust short of long enough for the C#. I hope that one day a company, besides Agile, takes a hit with the cost of tooling up for fanned frets and makes them on production instruments.

#7 · (Edited)
Well, mine finally got here. The neck is so wide. It will take some getting used to. Unfortunately, the bridge position of the 5-way switch is not working, so I am not sure what it sounds like with only the bridge pickup. I think I might have to return it.

EDIT: It wasn't the guitar. Apparently, my Peavey amp was having a software glitch. I reset the amp and it sounds like a BEAST. Going from the 9 back to a 6 feels like picking up a toy.

#9 ·
The Ibanez UK web site says it ships with a hardcase yet the shops in the UK don't mention one, is this true?

Also how does it work in a band situation? I know from the trusty Washburn PXM18 (now converted to passive and its sounds mega) the old F# just starts to pop into the bass players sound and can get a bit washed out, but with an even deep extra string does it clash worse?

How is the loud distorted sound does it have definition on the bass strings? The EMG808's I had on the Washburn sounded a bit woolley and dull so I changed it to passive with SD Sentient and Pegasus pickups wired in push/pull pots for coil tapping and it sounds awesome clean and good definition with distortion at volume :)

Any news on the super posh "Prestige" version of the RG9??

#10 ·
The RG9 comes with a case, pull the ears of your shop.

You will have to adapt your style, together with the bas player, with the 9 string (as with 6, 7 and 8 strings, if you want it to sound good).
Converting 6 string riffs to seven was okay, but not perfect.
7 to 8 did not work at all. 8 to 9 will be the same, but worse.
What I mean are, You have to write 9 string music.

/Magnus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.