Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Found this guitar locally selling for 300 EUR(could be haggled a bit).
I think this is RT240 ?HSS

Is this a good price for this model?
I really dont need another guitar but GAS is getting better of me and it doesnt help its such a pretty guitar

Brown Guitar Musical instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory
Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Wood Musical instrument accessory
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

·
Registered
676 Posts
It is indeed an RT240, from 1992. Looks pretty clean too. These have the more V profile neck with a 12" radius, and a big trem block. Don't know pickup specs. Basically an RG with more traditional appointments.

300 Euro is pretty good for a MIJ Ibanez any time! It's certainly impossible to find them at that price on conventional selling platforms anymore, unless they're broken or parted out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is indeed an RT240, from 1992. Looks pretty clean too. These have the more V profile neck with a 12" radius, and a big trem block. Don't know pickup specs. Basically an RG with more traditional appointments.

300 Euro is pretty good for a MIJ Ibanez any time! It's certainly impossible to find them at that price on conventional selling platforms anymore, unless they're broken or parted out.
He ll let it go for 250 EUR.it seems to be in pretty good shape except for few dings here and there.Will post it in NGD this week hopefully.

Looks to be a great guitar

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yes, all of the RT models were great, but I prefer the ones with non-bound Viper necks (RT450, RT240, and RT150). They also called the bound necks on the RT650 "Viper" but they are actually very different.

These are absolutely great guitars. The only minor drawback is the block heel, but that can be remedied!

Buy that puppy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, all of the RT models were great, but I prefer the ones with non-bound Viper necks (RT450, RT240, and RT150). They also called the bound necks on the RT650 "Viper" but they are actually very different.

These are absolutely great guitars. The only minor drawback is the block heel, but that can be remedied!

Buy that puppy!
Its gonna be here on Saturday.Got it for 300 USD with shipping.Will post NGD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it today.

Checked it over and everything seems to be ok.There are hairline cracks in lacquer on both sides of body where neck joins it.It looks like its just a shallow lacquer crack so I dont mind.
There are dings all over the guitar but it was gigging and I expected it.
Set it up ,played it and I found its probably the best neck I have ever played.
A lot better than my Fender American Standard from 2015.
Frets are perfect,really smooth edges etc.

I am not huge fan of pick ups,but they are not terrible by any means.

Set up is really low,but still 0 buzzes and no dead notes.I might make it bit higher cause im not used to such a low action.
every note rings beautifully and it intonates perfectly.

I got it in Fender heavy padded gig bag so thats nice.

I have a tremolo arm too but tip is white so it might not be original.

I ll stick with it for now and maybe try to resell it for profit somewhere in the future if opportunity presents itself.

Maybe i just put in some HSS set and call it number 1 :),who knows :)

Cheers everyone

·
Registered
946 Posts
Looks great and I agree about the neck -- Vipers are my all time favorite.

I'm curious about the routing. The only difference between the RT240 and RT450 is the humbucker in the neck position of the 450. What is the routing in the neck position of your 240?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great and I agree about the neck -- Vipers are my all time favorite.

I'm curious about the routing. The only difference between the RT240 and RT450 is the humbucker in the neck position of the 450. What is the routing in the neck position of your 240?
Oh i dont remember now.Would need to take everything off to check.I think its routed for humbucker as well but im not 100 sure%

·
Registered
676 Posts
Good man! The paint cracks around the neck joint are a matter of course for an old Ibanez, no worries there. From what I remember the neck position is routed for a hb.

Kinda a pity that these were around for a short time originally but the AZ nowadays covers most of the spec bases.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Kinda a pity that these were around for a short time originally but the AZ nowadays covers most of the spec bases.
Yes, I think of the AZs as the successors to the RTs and 97-98 Blazer reissues (especially the BL1025). Both the RTs and BLs were very well-appointed, non-locking trem guitars with traditional feeling necks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There's a 12 string one at Headbanger Rare Guitars in Madrid - 1993, natural finish, looks minimally played -, I don't know if they ship outside of Spain/EU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys ,sorry for resurrecting this thread but just wanted to add few things.

This guitar is a keeper.I initially wanted to flip it but i think i ll sell my fender am std instead.

This has to be best playing guitar I ever had.I dont know if all other RTs are as good or I just got really lucky with a great piece.

Its perfect on every fret and it sustains notes for stupidly long.It can hold note forever basically.

I might upgrade electronics.New 5 way switch and some good pick up set but this one even though its ceramic sounds good so I am not sure.

Recommendations for PUs are welcome.
I mainly play pop,blues and rock.

Guy offered me DV mark triple 6 iii tube head(which went for crazy money new)for a swap locally and it would make sense monetary to do it as I payed 250 eur for this one. But, I feel I would regret it so I will decline the trade and pull it down from marketplace.

If you ever come across Rt series just buy it 🙂

Cheers

·
Registered
946 Posts
Glad you're happy with it!

I have quite a few Ibanez guitars, but the one I play every morning is a battered RT150. They're just great guitars. I did do the neck mod I mentioned earlier though, to round out the square heel to a quasi-AANJ style. That was my only gripe with the originals.

Awhile back, one of the better known YouTube guitar reviewers did a vid in which he called the RTs a budget Suhr (or something like that). Since then, prices have probably jumped a bit, but there are a lot of them out there.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You certainly got a good deal. From what I've seen, it's tough to find a mid-upper end model (240, 450, 650) under $500 on conventional, large selling platforms. Have even seen some close to 1k. Haha, I hate it when someone on YT hypes up something and prices jump :LOL:.

Regarding pickups, well, if it were me and I wanted to change them, I'd thrown in some A5 singles and a PAF style or a bit hotter hb to cover the styles you mention.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts