Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a S540LTD from 1997, at least the serial number starts with F97.

However it has the 3 piece wizard neck which was introduced in 1998, if I'm informed correctly. That's odd.

Question #1, what strings were these shipped with back*then, 9-42 or 10-46?

Sometimes I use Standard tuning.

Question #2, if I want to go one whole step down in tuning, which strings should I use to not put too much stress on the neck? 11-52ish?

Question #3, the Tremolo arm is missing, could someone please tell me the part number for a fitting trem arm?

Thank you*

Chris*

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Hi Chris,

It’s quite common for the ‘next year’ model guitar to have the previous year’s serial number. Ibanez has them built and stockpiled ready to ship to dealers when a batch is ready. Early guitars are built in the latter part of a year and get an earlier serial number but don’t go on sale till after the new year.

They should have been shipped with 9-42 gauge strings.

I go up a half size for each semitone down, so d-standard, I’d be using 10-46s

Can’t help with the trem arm though, sorry :(

·
Registered
666 Posts
Question #2, if I want to go one whole step down in tuning, which strings should I use to not put too much stress on the neck? 11-52ish?
If you're looking to do such a drastic drop tune you should look into the digitiech drop pedal. I have one, it drops in half step increments all the way down a full octave. And it has a octave function as well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
First off, I second the Digitech Drop pedal, I play along with all sorts of tunings, so it's a godsend! Unless, you are ONLY going to play stuff that's tuned down 1 step, then just get your 540 setup for that.

Sorry if I'm hijacking, but it looks like the OPs questions were answered and I didn't want to start a whole new thread about the same guitar. :)
Questions about 540 pickups -

I got an S540LTD back in October, it's either a 93 or 94, serial starts with F93 but he said he got it for his 15th b-day in 94. Either way, he was the original owner, it's Jewel Blue, mint, and got it for $500! From what I understand, the IBZ/USA pups were basically Ibanez-branded DiMarzios? If so, what models would the F1/F2 be most similar too?

Also, I am liking this guitar so much that I'm looking for other 540s from the 90s (as long as they have the AANJ and Lo-Pro) and noticed that the later ones have QM1/QM2 pups, what can you guys tell me about those (in general and vs the F1/F2s)?

And I guess any info about known, or potential, issues with these 90s S540s is appreciated! Thx

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had guitar with QM pickups, but with bridge pickup changed to Dimarzio X2N.
Neck pickup was good match in output, so they are high output, sound was very good, clear with enough low and high frequencies,
and 4 position between X2N and middle single coil was the straties middle position I ever heard on any strat.
So those are great guitars and great pickups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts