Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about Ibanez Telecasters? I saw a picture of one awhile ago and I've been confused ever since. Are they real Ibanez guitars or fakes?

I've been craving a tele for a long time now, and Ibanez guitars are the most comfortable guitars I've ever played. Anyone know anything about these Ibanez Tele's? Do they sound/feel like other telecasters?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd say that Ibanez and Telecasters are pretty much diametrically opposed.

If you want a tele, get a tele (or a G&L ASAT. I've got one and their great).

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
I definitely saw what looked like your average telecaster, but I googled that FR and it looks nice as well. How does the FR compare to your standard tele?
Pretty different in that the FR has 2 humbuckers and 24 frets as opposed the normal tele layout.

If you're brand loyal, an old tele copy from Ibanez is what you want. It might be worth you looking at other contrmporary teles from other manufacturers, including Fender :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ibanez did dabble in the Tele style for a very short time after the lawsuit era. Here's the MH580 Ballback. This one had been converted from the stock H/S/H configuration to the H/S/S configuration when I got it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ibanez did dabble in the Tele style for a very short time after the lawsuit era. Here's the MH580 Ballback. This one had been converted from the stock H/S/H configuration to the H/S/S configuration when I got it.

I would have put the single pickup even closer to the neck. just for get that strato warm sound ! ;)

greetings.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
I think its more likely this was converted from H/H to S/S/H before you got it, as I don't think any of the BallBacks were H/S/H.

Here's a link to a pic of my stock one, on the right between SpongeBob and the JC. I never really considered them Tele clones exactly, with the humbuckers, partly hollowed out mahogany body and trem, but the visual similarity is definitely there.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think its more likely this was converted from H/H to S/S/H before you got it, as I don't think any of the BallBacks were H/S/H.

Here's a link to a pic of my stock one, on the right between SpongeBob and the JC. I never really considered them Tele clones exactly, with the humbuckers, partly hollowed out mahogany body and trem, but the visual similarity is definitely there.
Yup, you're right Jim......don't know how I missed that. True, they aren't exactly Tele clones per se, but as close as Ibanez came during the heyday......plus I don't like to pass up an opportunity to post a pic of this one....LOL.

I really dig the Sponge Bob RG btw. It's hard to tell in that shot, but is that DY? It almost looks like it was refin. Pretty cool either way though.

·
Super Moderator
9,713 Posts
Yeah, SB is a '91 DY 550, modified a lot :lol: Bartolini in the neck and a Steve Morse in the bridge. I also had all the black dots removed from the fretboard and now they're all different colors. I'm thinking of putting an Evo in the neck though as I have another Bart in my VWH, but Bobs got changes coming. The only instruments I still have from that pic are SB and the FA-100 hollowbody in the floor rack (and the Motif :) ).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've currently got a lawsuit era tele, and they definitely exist. I was not impressed when compared to a US tele, but it certainly can hold its own against MIM and squier Fender products.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I've currently got a lawsuit era tele, and they definitely exist. I was not impressed when compared to a US tele, but it certainly can hold its own against MIM and squier Fender products.
...and another necrothread is brought back from the dead--It's alive, it's alive!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.