Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I haven't played one yet, but there are so many low wattage amps out there that I'd recommend heading to Guitar Center and trying each in turn with your guitars/speaker cabs. There's good reviews and comments here on the Blackstar Venue series and HT-5. If I was in the market for a low watt amp, the HT-5 or the HT-20 would be at the top of my list.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello!

I would like to hear any coments on the Ibanez TSA15 amplifier. Is it an ok amp? Of course it can't be compared with those bigger amps, but is it woth it's price?

Thanks! :)
Haven't played it, but as stated before there's a huge market of low wattage/mini/lunchbox amps right now. the Blackstar HT series is awesome, the Carvin V3M, Mesa Recto 25w, Ibanez TSA15. Too many decisions!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It's also worth pointing out that if volume is your concern, 5 watts is still quite loud and you won't be able to get anywhere near cranking a tube amp in an apartment setting unless you have very forgiving neighbors.
Speaking of the mesa, I'm curious to see how that does against the V3, TT and other more "pro" name amp makers since the price is quite high. The clips on Mesa's site sound amazing, but I'm satisfied with my DC-5 for everything from silent with headphones to full on gigs.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Try a HT-1 - as some have already mentioned 5 watt with a 50 watt or 80 watt mini cab can still be quite loud. I suppose it depends on where you live and the size of your bedroom.

What type of music and sound are you chasing?

-Wolfram

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Absloutely, 5 watts can sound huge. Tried out a HT-5 at a music store a while ago and man, that's what I call power! Way louder then my 75W modeling amp lol...

But considering what I need from the amp, volume will probably not be the greatest problem. Sure, the amp will be used at home and perhaps some smaller gigs now and then, but if I'll have to turn down the volume I can always swith to my Roland Micro Cube! :) By the way, I've read that the TSA15 is switchable between 5 and 15W. That should make it even more versatile, I guess?

What kind of music... Well I hate to say it but like most guitarists I want a versatile sound for many situations. I do not want an amp with 20 diffferent but useless sounds though, which to me seems to be the case with most modeling amps. But I'm not the most extreme metal shredder, if I had to choose between a Mesa Boogie Rectifier and a Fender I'd probably go for the Fender.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The HT-5 sounds great at quiet and loud volumes. Remember you can even plug in headphones if you are worried about noise. ;)
That could be true... perhaps... ;)

Well, it seems that you have a good starting point. It will be interesting to see how you go with this plan and what amp you end up with.

-Wolfram
I'll keep you updated! Maybe... ;)

Update 1: Tried a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III today. Awesome amp but I couldn't possibly turn up the volume knobs above 2... And that amp goes to 12! I can't imagine myself in a situation where I could crank the amp and I know the tubes delivers the most when they're working hard. It was interesting to try one, but the Hot Rod Deluxe just wasn't for me! (Sounded nice though... :))

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update 2: I haven't been able to try any new amps recently, but I've done a bit of research on the web. And just yesterday I found the Laney VC30-112. Of course, I can only judge it from what I've read and youtube, but if it really sounds as it does in this review, then I really want one! :)

The VC30-112 is a 30W amp, and to be honest I'm not sure, it might be to loud. Checked out the smaller version, the VC15, but I think I can clearly hear how much difference the size of the speaker makes. To me, the 10' speaker in the VC15 sounds way brighter with a lot less bass response, but again, that's just from what I've heard on youtube...

Anyone tried out a VC30? Is it a good amp? Is it a loud amp...? If it sounds good at low volumes, this might be an interesting alternative! :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm sure that one sounds great but well... It might be a tiny bit to expensive for me!
no worries, were in the same boat haha i was only making mention of it. but i saw a bit of a review on the thing on youtube and im sure the TSA's will be fine. they sure sounded alright. accept the tube screamer half of the amp didnt boost it quite like a true tube screamer does

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
i think the TBX series is much more versatile. and for being so cheap, they sound REALLY good.

30 watt combo

http://www.***************.com/guit...000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=43545103

65 watt combo

http://www.***************.com/guit...000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=43545105

150 watt combo

http://www.***************.com/guit...000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=43545108

150 watt head (sounds AWESOME when paired with a good cab)

http://www.***************.com/guit...000000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=43545110

sorry for all the links. just saying, good tone at an AWESOME price

EDIT: astrics say (m)u(s)i(c)i(a)n(s)f(r)i(e)n(d) but without the parenthesis

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no worries, were in the same boat haha i was only making mention of it. but i saw a bit of a review on the thing on youtube and im sure the TSA's will be fine. they sure sounded alright. accept the tube screamer half of the amp didnt boost it quite like a true tube screamer does
I agree. My opinion (for now) is that the clean sound from the TSA15 is just great, but I'm a bit concerned about the tube screamer... It can make some great blues tones, but I wonder if it really can compensate the usual 'distortion channel' of an amp. My guess would be that the built in tube screamer is i little... Well, just a bit less then an ordinary pedal kind of overdrive pedal.

But I don't know... Guess I gotta try one out again! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was actually facing the same dilemma and went through similar choices that were mentioned here. At present I use a Vox AC4TV that I like a great deal. The only problem with it is its inability to play any really clean tones and it tends to not take to all sorts of pedals quite as well. So metal sounds a bit rounder and syrupier than it should.

Anyway I looked at the Blackstar HT-1 and fell in love with the tone. But there was not much of it. In a jamming session with my kids this amp got drowned out. We were not playing loud at all. One more thing wrong was the speaker was a bit flubby and also the lack of tone controls meant that one cannot dial out a bit of bass to reduce this. So it comes down to needing to back of the volume. What it did do well was sound awesome at whispering levels. Anyway the HT-1 went back to the store and I began contemplating on what to replace it with.

The HT-5 was the natural choice. Also looked at was the MG50 and Class 5. The HT-5 sounded OK but what I had done before that was try out this Ibanez TSA15 combo. I spent about two hours comparing them both, at different settings and with two different guitars (single coil and humbucker). As much as I wanted to walk out of the store with the all black with shiny knobs, HT-5 I just couldnt make myself.

The Ibanez was simply too good. It gets almost as dirty and gritty but its cleans are a million miles ahead. These cleans manage to have sparkle and bit at the same time as being warm. I know this is kind of contradictory but thats how I felt. In fact I liked it every bit as much as an old vintage Fender tube amp that a friend of mine has an raves about. The HT-5 while a great amp was completely outshone and out matched. Maybe 5W vs 15W is not a fair comparison. What amazed me even more was that I could turn it down to barely audible levels and I could still hear the overdrive. It was not great at those volumes but it was enough to allow me to practice late at night when everyone is sleeping.

All in all this amp ticked all the boxes for me. Even though Ibanez is not famous for making amps and I would have been more comforted by a more well known brand and the price was way outside my comfort zone I still bought it and am still overjoyed.

I think this amp will be a huge hit and maybe a future classic.

I would be really interested in everyone else's thoughts.

The last time I was as inspired by an amp was when I cranked a Vox AC30. Now that is a great amp albeit at triple the price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.