Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody recently I bought an used ibanez uv777 it looks like new and there is no rust I think I did a good deal, it traveled from USA to Ecuador my country.. I always wanted a guitar like that to make crazy dive bombs , this bridge is a new world to me I never had a floating trem. It seems to be not in tune when I use it.. I'd like to know how to setup the lo pro edge 7 can you recommend me some video? I read some guides but is difficult to me to understand in deep how to setup it well.. thank you

·
Registered
112 Posts
My UV777bk isnt always friendly when doing heavy tremolo bar use. From my experience, my seven strings usually do not return to starting point when diving. My UV7BK(green dot) never returns when using the trem bar. In addition to having a heigher tension from a seventh string, your springs may be a little worn. Heavy trem use seems to be more about luck from guitar to guitar than setting it up to be able to dive and return in tune. Maybe try a little vaseline at the contact point of the knife edge on the trem and the posts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hello everybody thanks for answer, As Alaskabat said I've been reading Rich's guide and the video that logicbdj send.. (thank you again) and I put the hands in the guitar today, Now I understand a little bit more about the floating trems, I screw and unscrew things and I realized what is the problem.

1) The height of the bridge is not paralel in the higher strings is lower the height .. see the picture http://i.imgur.com/vWi0D.jpg

I cant adjust the eight because it seems that I dont have the 1.5mm wrenche to loose the stud lock .. I have only 3 the small for the intonation the middle for the locking nut and the bigger I dont know what is for.. see the picture of the wrenches

http://i.imgur.com/sCLae.jpg
2) The guitar goes out of tune with pullups it makes the notes sharper and with a dive it returns in tune, exactly as rich said here http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning_stability.htm

I can see how the bridge can not return to the zero point with the pullups so I understand that I have to lubricate the knive edge as Rich said and as the video in the first response indicate ...

So it seems that I found the problem I'd like to lubricate the edge without leaving all the bridge.. any advice for doing that is welcome any other video or link is welcome too.. I don´t know if i had to repost this with other topic? I'm very happy now that I understand more about this trems and a little afraid of not having very well setup and in tune as Chompers777 said that this 7 string ibanez are hard to keep in tune.. I always wanted an ibanez to abuse the whammy ... (You can realize english is not my main language if there is something you dont understand please let me know so you can understand my problem and I could receive your help..thanks)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The actual springs may be worn especially if it's quite an old guitar, you will need very high tension springs for the 7 string you may want to get some really strong springs, the posts may need to be changed if they are very worn....

Good luck once you get used to setting the edge/lo pros they work brilliantly...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah, I have the same guitar and I have no issues with the trem. It's setup basically like Rich's tutorial outlines. So, if you are still having issues after a proper setup, it may be some mechanical defect, as others have mentioned. How many springs are on there? Mine has four, but I have seen others with three.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for reply .. It has 4 springs I buy the 1.5mm alen and 4mm to adjust the height of the bridge because it came very angle, and as rich says in his tuning problems page I have sharper notes in pullups and with dives returns in tune so the bridge has problems to return to the zero point with pullups.. I'll try to lub with some chapstick the stud and knive edges I hope it will work I paid 1300 for mine it looks great but I always want a prestige to abuse the tremolo without worrying about being out of tune.. I'll let you know if I solve the probem... If you have some link or video to recommend me please send me... thank you so much

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please can you recommend me some high tension springs? I have a 6 string edge zero 2 bridge and it works better than the lo pro edge and I just realize that the springs on the edge zero bridge has shorter springs than the 52mm universe springs.. Im looking for the 47mm springs that Rich recommends but I can't find them.. Also I wish I could find shorter springs to add very high tension

1 - 18 of 18 Posts