Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, super new here (literally just joined) and I am needing some help figuring out the value and information on a certain guitar. I believe it to be a Ibanez Universe UV7PWH. Its the only guitar that looks like this other than the UV71P. However the reason I believe its the former rather than the latter is because if specifically says made in Japan and the UV71P says it was produced in Indonesia. Also, the white of the guitar is starting to yellow which seems a little hard to believe for a guitar that was made as early as 2015. Although I could be totally wrong. Anyway my uncle left it within my possession after he died and I have no idea what to do with it. If anyone has any info and value about this guitar that would be awesome. If my research is total BS that's fine too. I really only play Gibson's so I don't know much about Ibanez.

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
It is an original UV7PWH, the first 2 digits of the neck plate number will be the year, probably 1991. From the picture the front looks is decent condition, many small dings but pictures are deceiving and value is dependent on exact condition, especially the condition of the neck as they can get scarf joint shrinkage and be very problematic, how much fretwear, and the total package [case, paperwork, etc] also where you are.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Hello everyone, super new here (literally just joined) and I am needing some help figuring out the value and information on a certain guitar. I believe it to be a Ibanez Universe UV7PWH. Its the only guitar that looks like this other than the UV71P. However the reason I believe its the former rather than the latter is because if specifically says made in Japan and the UV71P says it was produced in Indonesia. Also, the white of the guitar is starting to yellow which seems a little hard to believe for a guitar that was made as early as 2015. Although I could be totally wrong. Anyway my uncle left it within my possession after he died and I have no idea what to do with it. If anyone has any info and value about this guitar that would be awesome. If my research is total BS that's fine too. I really only play Gibson's so I don't know much about Ibanez.
You came to the right place and you have the right person helping you. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is an original UV7PWH, the first 2 digits of the neck plate number will be the year, probably 1991. From the picture the front looks is decent condition, many small dings but pictures are deceiving and value is dependent on exact condition, especially the condition of the neck as they can get scarf joint shrinkage and be very problematic, how much fretwear, and the total package [case, paperwork, etc] also where you are.
Would you have and idea how much these run nowadays? Ive only seen one for sale for $15k but that one was actually used by Steve Vai. It does have some knicks on the body, the neck looks fine as well. The guitar is just dirty however, lots of dogs at his place and its quite dusty. Gonna restring it and give it a nice clean, see how it still play as well. Just wanted to know if there was any value. His son is going to college soon and if I could sell to get him some money for tuition and stuff that would be awesome. Thank you so much for what info you have provided me with.

·
Vendor
26,389 Posts
As I said, it depends on the condition but also what is the whole package. I=s it in it's original pink lined case m in good condition? Just the case can be $500 these days. I'm not going to guess, but do what everybo9dy else does these days, put it on reverb for $5000 or best offer and see what spaghettis sticks on the wall.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wow, lovely piece. As has been said, this is a relatively desirable model ( I certainly lusted after one back in the day). It was available 1990-93 (till '95 in Japan only), and reissued as an Indonesian Premium in 2015-17. In 1990 they had an Edge, I believe, then moved to Lo Pro (like yours) for the rest of the run. Some you see nowadays have turned very creamy from age! I can't tell if it's the lighting in the pic, but is the headstock more yellowed than the body?

Steve used used one to record 'For the Love of God' and other stuff on Passion & Warfare, so it has some prestige through association.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So overwhelming to see how much the members exerted the effort to answer this question. I am new also and I am thinking to post my accumulated questions. Now, I have the guts the post like this:) Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, lovely piece. As has been said, this is a relatively desirable model ( I certainly lusted after one back in the day). It was available 1990-93 (till '95 in Japan only), and reissued as an Indonesian Premium in 2015-17. In 1990 they had an Edge, I believe, then moved to Lo Pro (like yours) for the rest of the run. Some you see nowadays have turned very creamy from age! I can't tell if it's the lighting in the pic, but is the headstock more yellowed than the body?

Steve used used one to record 'For the Love of God' and other stuff on Passion & Warfare, so it has some prestige through association.
Is one aloud to post "for sale" posts on this forum or is this mainly for discussion and questions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm biased of course, but unless I needed the cash right now, I would've kept it, especially with its history - either you'll play it yourself someday or it has increased even more in value :) my 2 cents

·
JEM Winner #2
1,375 Posts
As I said, it depends on the condition but also what is the whole package. I=s it in it's original pink lined case m in good condition? Just the case can be $500 these days. I'm not going to guess, but do what everybo9dy else does these days, put it on reverb for $5000 or best offer and see what spaghettis sticks on the wall.
Only $5000? Why not ONE MILLION DOLLARS?!! :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
His son is going to college soon and if I could sell to get him some money for tuition and stuff that would be awesome.
I would prolly say that the value will only increase with time, so perhaps think about holding on to it for as long as possible once you get it cleaned up. Perhaps in 4 years when he might need cash for tuition/living expenses just as much, if not more, it might be worth even a bit more money.

I mean, eh. It may only be a negligible incrementing value, but at worst the value will stay flat. Unless the young man is in a desperate situation in regards to financial aid and loans + cash to live, I think the wisest "investment" would be to hang on to it for as long as possible. Musical instruments "of a certain age" and with such an association definitely fall into the combined category of "don't make em like they used to" and "there's people all over the world who may surprise a seller with how much they want something for the nostalgia".

Just my $.02 from knowing a lot of swappers, flippers, hustlers, and collectors--rich is the actual merchant though, so at the end of the day I'd pretty much go with whatever advice he offers on prospects for a sales timeline.

Nice axe, sorry about your uncle, and best wishes to the son.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you hold on to it that will be a $5000 guitar sooner than later.. I’ve watched 3 or 4 sell this year from $2k (underpriced) to mostly $3000...Someone will buy that for $3k but if you can wait it’s a great tangible investment

1 - 13 of 13 Posts