Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

So I decided to replace the stock HB6N bridge pickup in my Goth Flying V with my RG470's V8 pickup which became a display piece after I swopped it out with a D Activator X... thing is, the V8 has a red wire in addition to the white and bare ones. The original Flying V's bridge pickup does not have a red wire, only white and bare. When I first installed the V8, I ran the red wire to the pot and this removed any volume control (pickup was always on full I think). Then I removed the red wire and, volume control came back. Now I'm concerned that the V8 is not able to push full output because it's red wire is not connected to anything but, I don't know where I should connect it on the guitars bridge pot...

Any help PLEASE??
Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Red is hot, white is a coil-tap wire. If you aren't planning on doing any coil-tapping, just tape the white one off and stick it out of the way somewhere. Grounding it cuts one of the coils so it can't be touching any metal or it won't seem to work right.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red is hot, white is a coil-tap wire. If you aren't planning on doing any coil-tapping, just tape the white one off and stick it out of the way somewhere. Grounding it cuts one of the coils so it can't be touching any metal or it won't seem to work right.
My guitar doesn't have a coil tap switch so I don't plan on using it that way... now that you mention it, maybe it was running coil tapped when I wired it like the original HB6 pickup? So, where should the red wire go? Remember the original one doesn't have a red wire - just white and bare. In my RG, the V8's red wire ran directly to the switch... think I should do the same in the V?

·
Registered
597 Posts
My guitar doesn't have a coil tap switch so I don't plan on using it that way... now that you mention it, maybe it was running coil tapped when I wired it like the original HB6 pickup? So, where should the red wire go? Remember the original one doesn't have a red wire - just white and bare. In my RG, the V8's red wire ran directly to the switch... think I should do the same in the V?
The colors of the wires are irrelevant, few manufacturers choose to use the same color codes. Your original pickup only had the one wire beyond the bare. The red wire on your V8 goes to wherever the white wire on the original pickup went, simple as that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The colors of the wires are irrelevant, few manufacturers choose to use the same color codes. Your original pickup only had the one wire beyond the bare. The red wire on your V8 goes to wherever the white wire on the original pickup went, simple as that.
Unfortunately not as simple as that... I tried running the red wire to where the white wire of the original pickup was connected and........ no signal :(

Gotta try some other avenues... I put the original one back in though. Will probably wait until I get a Seymour Duncan pickup (which is my vision for this guitar) and install that one. Time will tell...

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've found that some versions of the V-series humbuckers are backwards, i.e. white is hot and red is the coil tap. Regardless, one of those two wires is hot and the bare is ground, there's not really any other options.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found that some versions of the V-series humbuckers are backwards, i.e. white is hot and red is the coil tap. Regardless, one of those two wires is hot and the bare is ground, there's not really any other options.
Yeah man, doesn't seem like there are other options. I put the original back in though... maybe I'll put the V8 in next month, connect the red wire to where the original's white one was and bare to ground then try again. If there's no signal then, I will run the red wire directly to the switch's red wire connector and the white one to where the original white wire was, bare to ground then, hope for the best :idea:

Now, according to Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan, for their four conductor pickups in a guitar like mine, I should solder red and white together then tape them off, run bare and green to ground and play... I plan to drop a '59 in the neck and SH8 Invader in the bridge soon enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts