Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone on the Ibanez facebook groups emailed Ibanez and they said they won’t carry the RG565 in 2022. Chances are the RG550 will be discontinued with it.

People already have a suspicion of this happening Thats why prices have been rising on ebay and reverb since last year.

I bought the RG550 genesis used for $650 in late 2018, nowadays they won’t go less than $800-900 used.

Now what is coming for 2022? The Jem anniversary so it kinda makes sense why they would discontinue the Genesis

Also the Genesis line is direct competitor to the Prestige line, differences are minimal. Why buy a Prestige when you can get a Genesis?

The whole point of the Genesis line was to get people into the Prestige line eventually. Genesis line wasnt meant to be there forever as is a threat to the Prestige line

·
Registered
437 Posts
Now this is hearsay, but to my understanding, most manufacturers are going to be getting rid of their "cheap" lines of "good stuff". The genesis falls in line with this notion. With their new J-line coming out, this probably defeats the purpose of genesis models.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
I seriously doubt that some random person has emailed Ibanez and they've divulged that information. They may or may not do that, but there's no way that they'd just share information like that willingly. Ibanez are also pretty secretive with their future product line ups.

I wouldn't be surprised if people are talking like this to try and drive prices up for their own gain. :|

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I seriously doubt that some random person has emailed Ibanez and they've divulged that information. They may or may not do that, but there's no way that they'd just share information like that willingly. Ibanez are also pretty secretive with their future product line ups.

I wouldn't be surprised if people are talking like this to try and drive prices up for their own gain. :|
it's well known all over the internet that the RG565 is a limited run. Rich can confirm this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was limited, then it was regular production, then I went to reorder and couldn't, they made it limited again.
Does this mean you won't get any new RG565 models at all or is this just because of Covid and they have too many backorders to take any new orders for that model from you right now?

If they really discontinue the Genesis line I'm glad I ordered my RG550-PN in January. It will be delivered tomorrow. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,430 Posts
It’s a well known strategy on some sites for some folks to post a thread with some nice photos and extol the virtue and rarity of their own guitar, explaining how amazing it is, how well it plays and how they’re definitely going to pick up another one because the manufacturer is going to cease production.

Then do a heel turn and sell that very same guitar for an inflated price based on the hype they’ve just generated

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is limited. I saw an email Ibanez responded to some guy saying they won’t carry the rg565 in 2022. Now the rg550 I don’t know

I cant find that photo but i saw it on an inanez rg group

Last time they release rg565 it was also a one year run so it fits in with what they usually do

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's a well known strategy on some sites for some folks to post a thread with some nice photos and extol the virtue and rarity of their own guitar, explaining how amazing it is, how well it plays and how they're definitely going to pick up another one because the manufacturer is going to cease production.

Then do a heel turn and sell that very same guitar for an inflated price based on the hype they've just generated
Lol, that seems silly to me. If they did that, you can a) throw that thread in their face or b) if they "need to sell it" then they dont "need" to price gouge on it either lol. That said, people will pay what they're gonna pay. If the model is hyped up and discontinued, maybe it DOES warrant a price increase, no? At the end of the day, its none of my business really.

I kinda remember this happening with BRJ and overly-hyped-machines a long time ago. If people find the value in purchasing those guitars for the ridiculous price gouges, thats on them really.

·
Super Moderator
7,430 Posts
Lol, that seems silly to me. If they did that, you can a) throw that thread in their face or b) if they "need to sell it" then they dont "need" to price gouge on it either lol. That said, people will pay what they're gonna pay. If the model is hyped up and discontinued, maybe it DOES warrant a price increase, no? At the end of the day, its none of my business really.

I kinda remember this happening with BRJ and overly-hyped-machines a long time ago. If people find the value in purchasing those guitars for the ridiculous price gouges, thats on them really.
Exactly, people will pay what it's worth to them and a bit of hype, propogated on websites and social media by clique leadership, can make a world of difference to the price!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It's a well known strategy on some sites for some folks to post a thread with some nice photos and extol the virtue and rarity of their own guitar, explaining how amazing it is, how well it plays and how they're definitely going to pick up another one because the manufacturer is going to cease production.

Then do a heel turn and sell that very same guitar for an inflated price based on the hype they've just generated
Yep, seen that rather a lot recently.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the line is called “Genesis” for a reason. Its the rebirth of those old popular models. Rg550 and rg565 now. Why would this line continue when those main two models are already out.

If this was line to stay, why didn’t the rg550 from the 80s remained in the lineup? Why didn’t the rg550 from 2002 remained? What about the rg550 20th anniversary why didn’t it remain in lineup?

These models were never meant to be permanent lines.

The goal is get you into the Prestige line and ideally into the more expensive Jem line. Its well known that once a guitarist goes stepping up in price range, eventually they’ll buy a jem or prestige

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its well known that once a guitarist goes stepping up in price range, eventually they'll buy a jem or prestige
A rather bold and presumptuous statement I must say lol
How many people started from Scratch on a $3000 Jem?

When we were noobs, we all started on affordable guitars. A lot of people started on the rg350 as they got better and finances improves, they end up buying what they always wanted a Prestige or Jem. Its easier to justify since now you are more experienced player and in a way, have paid your dues to own one.

Its like giving a 16 year girl who just got her license a Porsche or super car.

The Genesis line is a good bang for the buck, they probably don't make a lot of profit on them. The goal is to give people a taste of what the prestige and jem owners having been enjoying for years and hopefully get those people into those lines

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lol, more meant it as a matter of "taste" here. I cant stand prestiges, and unless a jem falls in my lap; I dont find the value in them at all. My best and most favorite guitar is my gio lol. That said, I wasnt wild on the genesis models Ive played either; decent guitars; just didnt like em. My RG550 is the only prestige I've EVER enjoyed. That said I cant imagine the genesis stuff was designed to make people "move up" into a prestige honestly. That seems more like a premium lineup thing; but Im just speculating.

I dont agree with the "paying your dues" bit personally. Its not my money; its not my business. If someone wants to start on an expensive guitar, thats on them to follow through with it. Besides, "expensive" is relative to whats in our bank account anyway. If a kid has really wealthy parents, whats it to anyone that they got him a prestige to start on? The car analogy isnt quite accurate or fair, because thats more of a safety issue than anything.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts