Ibanez JEM Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
The point is that most people around the world start out on affordable guitars. Just because some first world boys got a $5000 guitar as their birthday or a Porsche as a driver license car doesn’t mean is the norm. The norm is people having to suck it up owning cheap stuff until they afford the good stuff.

The strategy of the Genesis line is to eventually get people into the prestige and jem lines.

Your first guitar maybe was $300, few years later you can now afford a Genesis, your nee standard now is a $1000 mij guitar, now a few years later you can justify a $3500 jem

·
Vendor
26,524 Posts
As statistics have proven thru the pandemic everybody sold out of cheap guitars to those that always wanted to learn how to play and were faced with nothing else to do. But the point of the Genesis like is to offer an affordable Japanese build with the good hardware. The line wasn't created trying to get you to come back and buy a more expensive guitar, although I'm sure they never reject you doing so. It's there as a nostalgia factor to replace alot of now very old originals, and as a slightly higher priced alternative to the Indo line. And to keep that price down they give you nothing but the guitar, a couple wrenches, some paper and a box, just like anything Indo.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
My first guitar was a Les Paul Custom.

Plenty of teenager's around here driving Porsche's daddy bought them.
Ah the Porsche. The ultimate phallic symbol (because they are all ridden by c**ts)*

LP Custom is a hell of a first guitar. Can't remember what mine was but my second, and still favourite, was a Jap RG550. I have many more expensive guitars, but that RG550 is special.

*credit to Mel Smith and Griff Jones, not my joke.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
My first E-Guitar was a used Framus with many knobs an levers, i didn't understand exactly for 180 "Deutsche Mark" back in 1978. I remember the neck was very thin similar to a Wizard.
Nowadays i have a bit more budget buying a guitar. I think most of us began with a low cost model.

Cheers !

·
Registered
437 Posts
Never have I been in such a dichotomous place that makes me feel both incredibly old and incredibly young lol. Any way, I have a question for your old timers that were scrapping in the 80s... When the JEM and RG came out, were they "big deals"? I just kind of figured everyone was chasing whatever guitar EVH meandering at the time lol. Hell, vai was even playing a Jackson in crossroads, and I believe that came out while Steve was working with Ibanez lol. I just cant recall any pop culture references to them; but when I hear older folks speak of them, they seem incredibly lauded.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As statistics have proven thru the pandemic everybody sold out of cheap guitars to those that always wanted to learn how to play and were faced with nothing else to do. But the point of the Genesis like is to offer an affordable Japanese build with the good hardware. The line wasn't created trying to get you to come back and buy a more expensive guitar, although I'm sure they never reject you doing so. It's there as a nostalgia factor to replace alot of now very old originals, and as a slightly higher priced alternative to the Indo line. And to keep that price down they give you nothing but the guitar, a couple wrenches, some paper and a box, just like anything Indo.
90% of those people who picked up the guitar during the pandemic shutdown probably quit in a first few days or weeks

Most people have no clue how hard the guitar is despite being the most popular instrument and how many hours you have to put in for little results or improvement

In many sports or endeavors you can become decent with 500 hours thats nothing in the guitar world

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've always envisaged the Genesis as the re-issue line (tweaked up a bit) with rotating models, don't think it competes with Prestige, which represents where Ibanez is now. With the 550, Like Rich says, they give you a cost-effective Japanese guitar with the stuff everyone likes in the originals - Edge, HSH pu config, Gotoh tuners, classic colours, made in Japan. Honestly, when the RG550 came out back in the day, its US rrp was $679 (about $1500 in today's money), so street price would've been similar to what a Genesis is today. The fact that Ibanez have been able to offer basically the same guitar made in Japan at that price today is pretty good, imo.

We've reached the point in time where there's plenty of folks around who hanker after the original guitars b/c of nostalgia, or they regret letting them go back in the day, whatever. They've acquired a level of cultural capital among the generation which was cutting their teeth on the guitar in the 80s, when hair was big, times were fun, and playing had to be virtuosic - the guitar is a mnemonic index of those feel-good times for many. I suspect this is partly why people speak fondly of the instruments.

So there is some level of demand, and it's no doubt why Ibanez introduced the line. Whether they'll discontinue it, who knows. I think it would be cool if they released some other classic models under the Genesis umbrella, like the Radius and P (the one Skolnick played, people seem to like those a lot) but we'll just have to see.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its well known that once a guitarist goes stepping up in price range, eventually they'll buy a jem or prestige
That's a blanket statement that isn't always true.

I've been through 50+ guitars the past 25 yrs, and I've rarely strayed from mid-range price levels. A slew of 540R's, used JS1000's, used Hamer, used Fender tele from the Fuji Gen factory, and on and on.

Only twice have I ever paid more than $1000. [RG2006 red puzzle top, and JS1600 that the orig. owner had the finish stripped to appear as a JS6/JS6000].

A $2500 to $3500+ high end guitar has rarely ever appeared as a value worth paying for a guitar to play. I'm not a collector, save for the puzzle top. [value can include pure lust for some amazing guitars or finishes; i.e. ltd. ed. JS's, etc.]

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would not be surprised if they discontinued it. Eventually they'll run out of old models that people want and will have to come up with something that they didn't do in the 80s or 90s. Seems like the Talman that already is in the J-line range is MIJ, plain finish, and in-house pickups. Basically the philosophy behind the cost effective Prestiges from the 2000s.

TLDR: J line will probably be the same idea as the Genesis but with models they didn't have before

·
Registered
790 Posts
While the J-Line is a similar price-point as the Genesis, it's not a strict reissue. WHile that black RG is cool, they were never hardtail back in the day, with a monorail bridge at that.

Regarding the Talman, kind of a bummer that they didn't make the SSS model with lipstick pickups. There's countless guitars out there with Strat style pups.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Any way, I have a question for your old timers that were scrapping in the 80s... When the JEM and RG came out, were they "big deals"?
Yeah, it was a big deal. The RG/Jem line improved on and standardized the bevy of Charvel/Jackson/Kramer/Washburn/Fender, etc/ stuff that was out there.

24 frets was a bit of a game changer. You didn’t play frets 23 and 24, but having them gave you more clearance to play on fret 22.

Also at that time you had this tremolo war between Floyd Rose, Kahler, even the Washburn Wonder Bar. The RG/JEM’s came with the original Edge, which again took existing technology and standardized and improved it.

Now let’s talk the necks. Super thin and very flat radiuses. You had all the two handed tappers in the 80’s trying to be the next Eddie, and the Yngwie arpeggio sweep pickers. The Ibby neck and flat fretboard set the gold standard for it.

Ibanez also was genius in having three entry points. The 350, 550 and then the JEM. You could get access to most of the innovations at any price point, but each succeeding one provided a couple valuable extras, and each level was a gateway drug to the higher end models.

Finally you had Vai. He took off when the David Lee Roth solo album came out in the summer of 1986. Then he jumped to Whitesnake, right at their peak. Everybody idolized him, so they picked up the Ibanez models.

Was a great era and a great time.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yeah, it was a big deal. The RG/Jem line improved on and standardized the bevy of Charvel/Jackson/Kramer/Washburn/Fender, etc/ stuff that was out there.

24 frets was a bit of a game changer. You didn’t play frets 23 and 24, but having them gave you more clearance to play on fret 22.

Also at that time you had this tremolo war between Floyd Rose, Kahler, even the Washburn Wonder Bar. The RG/JEM’s came with the original Edge, which again took existing technology and standardized and improved it.

Now let’s talk the necks. Super thin and very flat radiuses. You had all the two handed tappers in the 80’s trying to be the next Eddie, and the Yngwie arpeggio sweep pickers. The Ibby neck and flat fretboard set the gold standard for it.

Ibanez also was genius in having three entry points. The 350, 550 and then the JEM. You could get access to most of the innovations at any price point, but each succeeding one provided a couple valuable extras, and each level was a gateway drug to the higher end models.

Finally you had Vai. He took off when the David Lee Roth solo album came out in the summer of 1986. Then he jumped to Whitesnake, right at their peak. Everybody idolized him, so they picked up the Ibanez models.

Was a great era and a great time.

Awesome! Thank you! Whenever I hear older players "reminiscing" about RG's, it always seemed like a "mixed bag". Some seemed enthralled at them ("I had hot dog flavored water for dinner for 6 months so I could buy one!") to ... "meh" lol. It's just kind of sad thinking about my "timeline" (if you will), basically all I got were 7 strings; and those were pretty niche anyway. Even with Korn and Limp Bizkit's enormous popularity at the time, everyone still seemed to want that Les Paul lol. But I cant really think of anything "exciting" guitar wise; not like that. Oh well, at least I get the fruits of the golden era ibanez's :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Awesome! Thank you! Whenever I hear older players "reminiscing" about RG's, it always seemed like a "mixed bag". Some seemed enthralled at them ("I had hot dog flavored water for dinner for 6 months so I could buy one!") to ... "meh" lol. It's just kind of sad thinking about my "timeline" (if you will), basically all I got were 7 strings; and those were pretty niche anyway. Even with Korn and Limp Bizkit's enormous popularity at the time, everyone still seemed to want that Les Paul lol. But I cant really think of anything "exciting" guitar wise; not like that. Oh well, at least I get the fruits of the golden era ibanez's :)
You were born a little too late... lol. Two Limp Bizkit references in the same post? (kidding - I like Limp Bizkit)

But yeah, the RG and Jem hit at the right time... when electric guitars and players went to a new level. As a kid, I remember my dad and all of his buddies played Les Pauls... so thats what I always wanted. In '87 I bought and RG (low level RG110) and it played great, then a friend of my dad's gave me a '76 Les Paul... he was a country player (12-string Fender Starcaster semi-hollow, that Korean cowboy could sing and play any old country song you could think of) and had no use for a rock guitar. I still have it and it plays great after a refret, but I remember at the time thinking that my cheap RG played so much easier than that 17 pound Les Paul!

My brain - 60's strats, 70's LP's, 80's super strats, 90's - ?? non-metal oddballs like Fender Jaguars/Mustangs in the era of no guitar solo's, 2000's back to LP's, 2010's - a million manufacturers... 2020's - ? (just my perception - music industry people, please correct it!!)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What i find ironic is the original rg565 was issued 1991 to 1992

ironically the genesis rg565 in 2021 and of course it’ll be discontinued in 2022

chances are the rg550 will go away with it

the whole genesis line will be gone

·
Registered
41 Posts
What i find ironic is the original rg565 was issued 1991 to 1992

ironically the genesis rg565 in 2021 and of course it’ll be discontinued in 2022

chances are the rg550 will go away with it

the whole genesis line will be gone
Oh look, another thread by fowleri on something he heard from someone, who's best friend's father's girlfriend's brother's 2nd cousin heard from the guy that works at 31 flavors that ibanez is canceling the genesis line.

And 8 months later, they are still here!!

Imagine a bunch of this nonsense every day on TGP. That is why he got banned there and other places.

Fowleri, do you not realize that ibanez has ALWAYS had an rg550 spec guitar in the lineup?

The og 550 from the 80s, the reissue in '02, the 655, rg1550, rg2550, the 20th anni, and now the genesis.

I mean: basswood, HSH, pickguard, edge trem, wizard neck. That describes a **** ton of ibanez from the last 30 years.
You get hung up on names. Look at the product spec instead.

Oh, and your precious 565 reissue is the 4th iteration of that spec.

The og565
The rgr465. (With cheaper bridge and different neck)
The rg3xxv (with edge zero 2 and real dimarzios. And a wizard 3 neck. Some like the wizard 3 better, like me)
The genesis 565. (Which does not have the original spec pickups but has the wizard neck and edge trem.)

Now, the 565 is really just a niche guitar, being that it is really an HH setup. The neck pickup size is the only difference from an rg520. The HS format is not very popular due to less choices of pickups.
So, the 565 may very well be discontinued.

Or they might move them to the new j line?

So, maybe your precious, formerly stinky 550 and 565 will be discontinued. Maybe not. Nobody knows but ibanez until they pull the trigger.

Rich would probably know before anyone else, and that seems like he finds out only a little before us.

Speculating is like mental masturbation. You seem good at it too. Lol

21 - 40 of 50 Posts