Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what the title said. how did you solved one on yours? (or how would you fix it).
the neck dive is really annoying, esp when you're in a band and gig a lot...
other than that, so far i love my new xiphos.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well on my previous S, it had the neck dive problem as well. I stacked coins and taped them together then fit them into the control cavity. They're heavier than you expect them to be. Around 15 quarters in the back of my S's tiny control cavity was able to balance it out properly.

If that doesn't help, then you could try drilling a new front strap lock

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's been said that you have to relocate the rear strap button above and close to the output jack (not on the back). Ibanez did the fix for 2009 as the picture shows. I've got a new 2008 Blue Chameleon arriving this Friday and I'm gonna hate to do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I received my new XPT700BCM and before I repositoned the rear strap button as pictured above, I simulated it by placing the cord through the strap hole then plugging the cord into the guitar. Holds pretty well just for a quick try out. WELL, THE NECK STILL DIVES but not as severely as with the button at the top point. SO, it seems that the rear strap button needs to be positioned further down at the first flat surface coming up from the center curve, in line with the 6th string.

Check out this video on YouTube.

EDIT: I repositioned the rear strap button inline with the 6th string and it still dives though not as much. Seems like you need to reposition the forward button from the back to up under the horn as some guys have done. Trouble is that the neck gets in the way of a drill and a screwdriver. Hmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I just put some masking tape up under the horn and screwed in the strap button with a screwdriver. The neck did not get in the way. This is how it sits using a slippery nylon strap.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have a 2009 Xiphos, and only moved the upper strap button:

Though, I usually prop the "V" part up with my right leg for more stability/control.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can keep the front strap going over the horn in the direction of the headstock like Toshiro shows, it pops the neck up further. Mine tends to slip back so I fastened an inch wide velcro strap around the guitar strap and most forward edge of the horn point. Seems to keep it in place pretty well. Still, It's OK just letting slip back the way it wants to without the velcro strap.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
try moving the rear button toward and closer the front button, in the back of the body. it definitely solves the problem. of course that would work better with a DiMarzio Cliplock strap, as it doesn't have buttons poking your belly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
is toshiro's setup pretty easy to do?

And kind of unrelated but how's the playability of the neck on the xiphos? I'm considering getting one if the neck dive is less of an issue but am curious as to the overall feel of the guitar, I have an rg2550 and was wondering if the necks feel substantially different beside the fact that one is obviously a prestige...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts