Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering...Most Ibanez axes are made of either basswood or mahagony. I own a RT650 myself which is made of alder. A post below states that the RG570CTTB is alder as well... The only other Ibanez I know that has alder is the Jem7Vwh.

Is that right???? Are there that few alder Ibbies?

Another concern is the availability of ebony fretboards on Ibbies, the fact that most prestiges have got rosewood is a missed opportuniyty IMHO. What do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ibanez is a company trying to compete with other guitar companies in an international market. It's simply too cost prohibitive to use ebony, mahogany, Brazilian rosewood etc on anything but a handful of guitars a year. That is unless you and others around the world would be happy to pay substantially more money for their guitars ?

It would be nice to see better wood stocks used, but Ibanez is a company that mass produces guitars. I suppose that's where the custom shop of old and the J-Custom/Prestige models come from. It's an opportunity to use those "exotic" woods at an increased price.

Tony

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just to add- I know the USRG series were alder as well, and you can get those at good prices... great prices if you're patient.
And I do wish more Prestiges had ebony... for looks if nothing else. I have no problems with playing on rosewood, but the look of the ebony on my SC1620 is both dramatic and beautiful. Don't get me wrong... plenty of high-end Ibz rosewood fretboards look simply luscious too.
-Ben

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a RT650, and a Jem7wh won't be the real problem (they're nicely available). My problem is that I would like an Ibbie to have alder, a stoptail and to top it off an ebony fretboard (dual Tonezone or a Tonezoneand Paf pro would do the trick i guess ;) ). The closest thing is a PGM 90th or 10th I guess, and I've already got the 90th.

I wasn't bashing Ibanez off course, I'm pretty hooked but there always have to be some dreams :wink:

My next project is getting my natural finish padauk RX750 the same as my RG2027, is that easily done or should I get a pro...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well...you could try finding a USRG10. Alder, maple top, ToneZone/PAF PRO combo, fixed bridge, etc. All but the ebony. Of course, they're not terribly common, but they can be had a VERY reasonable prices (usually under $600).

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was always bummed about that too, I basswood, not because of tone or anything like that, but just because it dents so easily. I like my guitars to look good and dents bother me. I also love ebony. It's almost a deciding factor in my search for the right guitar. That's why I'd take a Jackson over a Prestige. It's also why I'm going to go through all the work of replacing the rosewood board on my new 520QS with an ebony one heh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts