Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an older Ibanez "V1" and banked it for the right project. I finally went to use it and it was no good. Of course it is way too late to contact the seller about it! So, it goes.
Looking for another one, I found one on ebay with an "IBZ V1" stamp instead of the "V1" stamp like the one I bought had. I didn't pull the trigger being uncertain about it and the auction ended. So, I just want to know for the future, what's is the difference between them? BTW, both have a row of black poles and a row of black slot screws.
Thanks fellas

·
Registered
285 Posts
As LonePhantom said, they are the same thing. "IBZ V1" is the older branding and "V1" is the updated branding. To add a little confusion there are the ones stamped "V-1" which are pretty rare to find. They're usually cream colored and the stamp is on the plate. V-1 is a completely different beast and much better pickup than the V1's.

If you don't want your pickup to go to waste you could always try a magnet swap. I know LonePhantom has done it with the V7/V8 series with good results. I've also done magnet swaps with the INF series pickups which greatly improved them. Magnet's are pretty cheap; only a couple of dollars, and the swap is easy to do. The right magnet can turn a dud into a stud.

Here's a link to my magnet swap experiment post from a while back. There's a link to the sound files so you can hear the impact a different magnet can have.

https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/inf-series-pickups-magnet-experiments-132654.html

I lost the bookmark to LonePhantom's blog for his V7/V8 experiment. If your interested maybe he'll pop back in an post the link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts