Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing about with my stash of old IBZUSA pups, and found a weirdness: the F2 has dissimilar coils - 9.35k and 9.55k DC resistance. That's not surprising, since it's supposed to be "kinda sorta like" a Tone Zone, which has the "dual resonance" design. Here's the weird part: the higher resistance coil appears to have LESS wire than the other coil. Not by a lot, but it's visible. I
think DiMarzio uses different wire (42AWG and 43 AWG) on it's Steve's Special pickup, but those coils are WAY different (12k and 5k), and I didn't think they did this on the F2 or Tone Zone.

So, my question is, does anyone know if this might just be different lots of wire of the same gauge? If so, a little thinner wire of the same turn count would be slightly higher in resistance. Or is this by design?

I'm trying to make a bucker that gets as close as possible to a tele tone when split (I know, I know...) which means a HUNKIN strong coil. And I'll probably cut a back plate for it as well. Just playin' around...

Anyone? Anyone? Falbo? Bueller? ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have about 6 or 7 tone zones and they all vary a little as far as coil to coil resistance and overall, oddly enough I see the greatest differences on the color tone zones..I havent really looked at my F2's that close...I have about 3 or 4 that ive replaced with TZ's in my 770s
I am not really sure that the F2 is a tone zone copy...since it doesnt use the same pole pieces and a ceramic magnet where the TZ uses a alnico with the old gibson type of pole piece/screw. I have put alnico bars in F2s and they sound pretty damn good that way and are pretty good sounding with the ceramic one..just brittle. I had also done a mod to an F2 and to a Breed that I didnt really like and havent had time to post the pics on it it kinda gives you a dual resonance like the TZ and steveS but not quite as good still as that damn ToneZ...
... the V2 is pretty close to a TZ but still doesnt have quite the sound
yes... I am addicted to Tone Zones...someone please help...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the mod I'm doing is what I did on an original IBZUSA - replace one row of screws with Alnico 5 polepieces. It makes the split sound REALLY nice - as good as a real strat pup, IMO. But I need a little more "beef", so I'm looking at modding the F2, and figuring out which of these coils would be hotter.

Yeah, it's not really a TZ copy; we go around about that every so often. The only reason it comes up is, DiMarzio USED to have a blurb up about the F2 saying it was most similar to that one out of the normal retail line. But it isn't really. I suspect that replacing the ceramic mag with an alnico 5 would get it pretty close.

Hey, do you have any black F2s with hex screws you'd wanna sell? I think I need hexes because all the regular screw bobbins I've seen won't allow a magnet pole to fit.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I didn't think the F2 was supposed to be "dual resonance" and part of the tell would be if there's a patent or p.p. on the back. Dimarzio always flaunts that patent wherever they use unmatched coils. Is it possible that you're feeling the one side of the coil where the wire comes out, so the tape comes out farther on that side? I don't have any F2's around here to check. True, Dimarzio attains dual resonance with different wire gauges, and that could definitely account for the different coil sizes. But with that close of a reading between the two coils, my guess is that they were winding to get the same resistance, and the .2k variance is just a natural occurence in manufacturing.

BTW, you're magnetizing the Alnico poles with the base magnet. If you want to be even more true to the Alnico pole sound, you'd need a magnet that was a little farther away from the alnico poles so the base magnet doesn't influence the poles.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No pat#. I felt the whole way around the coils, but it's possible there's an extra wrap of tape on the "low" coil. It still looks like the little bit of wire I can make out under the tape is closer to the outside of the bobbin on the lower resistance coil, though.

I'd pull it apart, but it's potted pretty tight and it's not worth that much hassle. In any case, I'm basically looking to use the "hottest" coil I have to play with, and I'm pretty sure this is it, at 9.35k. The reason I'm wondering about all this is, if it's really thin, say 44AWG, is it worth looking at a lower resistance coil that has thicker wire, perhaps an F1 or original IBZUSA? But this is getting too picky...

As for the magnets, I get your point. But the ceramic isn't actually touching the poles on that side, so I don't think that effect is big. In fact, in a C2 pickup I put small 1/16" thick neodymiums beneath the A5 poles in a bid to increase output. Although I thought there was a little improvement at first, since I now have 2 radii and one has the pickups with no "boosting" I notice no difference. So I'm now thinking that was placebo effect.

I'm thinking of putting a steel plate right beneath that coil, but mounting is more of a pain and a couple of big names claim that the plate doesn't do anything sonically anyway. I'll probably rig it up one day anyway.

·
Banned
451 Posts
frankfalbo said:
I didn't think the F2 was supposed to be "dual resonance" and part of the tell would be if there's a patent or p.p. on the back. Dimarzio always flaunts that patent wherever they use unmatched coils. Is it possible that you're feeling the one side of the coil where the wire comes out, so the tape comes out farther on that side? I don't have any F2's around here to check. True, Dimarzio attains dual resonance with different wire gauges, and that could definitely account for the different coil sizes. But with that close of a reading between the two coils, my guess is that they were winding to get the same resistance, and the .2k variance is just a natural occurence in manufacturing.

BTW, you're magnetizing the Alnico poles with the base magnet. If you want to be even more true to the Alnico pole sound, you'd need a magnet that was a little farther away from the alnico poles so the base magnet doesn't influence the poles.
frank the F 2 has matched coils
just because he got a reading of one coil 9.35K and the other 9.55K
does not mean it is a "dual resonance" pup
dual resonance pups have each coil wound with different wire
this is from steve himself over at dimarzio
the F2 is actually closer sounding to a breed than a TZ

and without a DOUBT if it were a DR pup it would have a patent #4501185

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It wasn't just the different reading, though; I see that in most of my buckers. It was the fact that the HIGHER impedance coil looked like it had LESS wire. That would seem to indicate thinner wire. But the differences are slight enough that it's probably just a different run of the same wire gauge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts