Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I'm looking for info about this pickup.
It only have three leads + ground, so the black is common, and green and white will be hot for each coil, the lead is so short that I will need to change it, and then I thought on putting a 4 lead wire. I have not played it yet, so I have no idea how it sounds.
I hit buy it now on ebay a little too quick and when I got it I noticed it wasn't F-spaced.
Does anyone know if this one was available with F-spacing as well?

Any info appreciated
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
The colours match regular DiMarzio colour codes. There is no "F" on the backplate, so not it's not F-Spaced. I wonder if it's an F1?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Its not an F1,this is the first run of IBZ USA's,they only came in regular spacing.
These were used in both neck and bridge positions on early sabers etc,high end guitars 87/88 until the F series were released.

I am not sure what the equivalent Dimarzio model is on these,I've one in my Skolnick saber but I'm a F1/F2/F3 fan. Its better as a neck pup for me,which is what skolnick used for many years.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
No good Dimarzio equivalent. It sounds way better IMO with an Alnico V magnet (it should have a ceramic in there) but really I'm not a big fan of those IBZUSA's. I have had plenty of them because I collect those old late 80's Ibanez's that came with them, and I've tried different magnets, making hybrids out of them, and they're just blah to me. I'd get it rewound.

If you need F-Spaced, shoot me an email or PM maybe I have an "F" series I'd trade for that. I like having those bobbins to rewind to make my guitars look stock.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the coil without the logo is dead, so I can't try it out.
Still interested in a F trade? (lol)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quote from Dimarzio tech: (which answered ten minutes after I sent the e-mail....surprisingly quick)
The original IBZ USA model became the IBZUSA F1. The F3 is a little less dark-sounding than a Super 3, but otherwise fairly similar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts