Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just found em...

The all important specs:
Model Name Billy Corgan Stratocaster®
Model Number 011-5002-(Color#)
Series Artist Series
Colors (805) Olympic White, (806) Flat Black, (Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Body Alder
Neck Maple, Modern “C” Shape, (Satin Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard Maple, 9.5” Radius (241mm)
No. of Frets 22 Jumbo Frets
Pickups 1 Special Design Dimarzio® Billy Corgan Single-Spaced Humbucking Pickup (Neck),
1 Dimarzio® Chopper™ Pickup (Middle),
1 Special Design Dimarzio® Billy Corgan Single-Spaced Humbucking Pickup (Bridge)
Controls Master Volume,
Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),
Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade:
Position 1. Full Humbucking Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Inside Coil of Bridge Pickup and Full Humbucking Middle Pickup
Position 3. Full Humbucking Middle Pickup
Position 4. Full Humbucking Middle Pickup and Outside Coil of Neck Pickup
Position 5. Full Humbucking Neck Pickup
Bridge American Strat Strings-Through-Body Hard Tail Bridge with Stainless Steel Saddles
Machine Heads Fender® Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Hardware Chrome
Pickguard 3 Ply Black/White/Black on (805) Olympic White; 3-Ply White/Black/White on (806) Black
Scale Length 25.5” (648 mm)
Width at Nut 1.6875” (43 mm)
Unique Features Billy Corgan Signature Pickups by DiMarzio®
Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Body Finish,
White Plastic Parts,
Large ‘70s Style Headstock Shape,
Large ‘70s Style Headstock Logo,
Original Body Shape,
“Original Contour Body” Decal on Headstock
Strings Fender® Super Bullets® 3250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-3250-003
Accessories Vintage Tweed Case, Cable, Strap, Polishing Cloth
Case Vintage Tweed Case (for Large Headstock)
Introduced 6/2008
Notice Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

$1199.00 at Sam Ash (just found it on their site...)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
These:

Pickups 1 Special Design Dimarzio® Billy Corgan Single-Spaced Humbucking Pickup (Neck),
1 Special Design Dimarzio® Billy Corgan Single-Spaced Humbucking Pickup (Bridge)

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
So you all think that is a unique guitar because it has some DiMarzios in it that Larry designed?

I love Smashing Pumpkins, but that is right up there with the Avril Lavigne, and Billy Joe Armstrong models.

James Iha would make more sense.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't get it...

What exactly makes that a Billy Corgan model?
Billy's favorite strat is a 3 bolt neck 70's burst with a large headstock with the obvious changes. The single sized humbuckers, the jumbo frets the maple board....so there you go. They just don't offer it in a burst and they do with a 22 fret neck, and no it's not like the Avril model (which is a pos squire)...you might as well put up there that Claptons, Robert Cray, Jeff Beck's, Mayer's, Buddy Guy's etc are all just strats. It appears to be US made as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I read somewhere that Corgan was a Mustang player for years but then switched to a Strat. after Kurt Cobain gained fame using the former. Kinda funny if that's true. There are all maner of motivations for both an artist and manufacturers to release a signature model, running from the cheap and obvious to the noble and personal.

Corgan has used a Strat. quite a bit over the years and as a fan of hardtail Strats. myself, this looks like a nice instrument at a fairly reasonable price, so I welcome it to the Fender lineup.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
So you all think that is a unique guitar because it has some DiMarzios in it that Larry designed?

I love Smashing Pumpkins, but that is right up there with the Avril Lavigne, and Billy Joe Armstrong models.

James Iha would make more sense.
Actually, I always thought Corgan was one of the best soloists to come out of the whole 90's grunge movement. He's a bit chaotic, true, but he's got the most immediately recognizable phrasing I've ever heard.

I remember Zwan, his first post-Pumpkins band, and the first time I heard "Honestly" on the radio. I randomly turned the radio on right at the first note of the lead break, the first time I ever heard the song, and from that first two or three notes immediately thought "Holy s**t, that's gotta be Billy Corgan, this must be that new Zwan song!" then, sure enough, Billy's, ahem, 'distinctive' voice came in after the solo ended.

He's really one of those guys who you know it's him after only a note or two. His voice is a love-it-or-hate-it thing, true, and he's no Satriani or Vai, but he's a reasonably technical player who has a VERY unique style.

To this day, "Cherub Rock" is one of a handful of solos I've ever actually bothered to try to learn note for note. I think he's a great player.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The Smashing Pumpkins were one of my favs back in the grunge days. They're really musical compared to their contemparies. Siamese dream was the best. I think Corgan is a good player and is pretty unique and the guitar looks great.

It doesn't say his name anywhere does it? That's cool.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.