Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi guys,

I'm having a little trouble pinpointing what model this Ibanez is. There is no serial number as it has worn off. I'm thinking it's a RG550 but i'm not sure. Also note that the pickups are now Dimarzio evo's but the guitar originally had a H-S-H pickup configuration.

Thanks
JoeRGSteve

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Only thing is that it's got the AANJ but doesn't have 'RG SERIES' on the headstock.

EDIT: Jackplate as well anyone?? Plus there looks like there has been some sort of doctoring where the neck meets the body on the treble side. Looks wrong, spec is wrong, guitar looks to have been refinished (poorly) imho.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
That neck heel is way to long. It's got a 5 piece AANJ neck, but the heel bothers me. The Backplate is not recessed. There is no rear jack cavity or cover. We can rule out 550. It may be 400 or 300 series with a knock-off neck.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Okay, thing is the AANJ came in on RG550's in 1994 which would also mean that the headstock would have RG Series on it as well. However the heel on that guitar does look rather thick to me.

If it has an OFR, I think they do fit into an original Edge cavity. The colour however for me is wrong for the year it could be ie RFR or CA.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I think it's a Mutt of some sort. Poss a 470L body with aftermarket neck, trem and respray. Neck didn't fit so some bad surgery was done. Avoid!! Buy the EVO's (if they are real) and give that a wide berth. ;-)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Joe (I'm assuming that's your name) if you're looking to buy an
Ibanez guitar check out the classifieds section here on Jemsite.
Guys selling on here will be straight up and honest 100% about
their guitars. Too many cowboys on ebay etc.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't recall any 550's, other than the 20th, having a 5 piece. I may be wrong though. I agree with it being a build, and not being an actual Ibanez

EDIT: The headstock shape is off a little on the top too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Not much. That neck looks like it's about to fall out for a start. I urge you to avoid this guitar. If it's on the bay can you post the item number here so we can get a look at the description???? What's your budget for an Ibanez guitar. You can buy one from somebody on here and you won't get ripped off. Whoever is listing that guitar on ebay or similar is a chancer unless they have highlighted all the points we have. You did the right thing by coming here for advice btw. Too many guys post here after it's too late...post mortem..LOL!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts