Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Would you prefer a buy a guitar with a Sustainer installed or install it yourself?

• Purchase a guitar with sustainer installed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Install a sustainer myself

Votes: 5 100.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If given a choice, would you prefer to buy a guitar with a sustainer already installed like the Banshee Elite or preferably to install a sustainer yourself?

Which would you prefer?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Install myself, then I can have it in whatever guitar I like. Have not yet had the urge to even consider a sustainer in any of my guitars though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If given a choice, would you prefer to buy a guitar with a sustainer already installed like the Banshee Elite or preferably to install a sustainer yourself?

Which would you prefer?
Hello, i have just installed a fernandes sustainer on my jem. It took me a couple of days and careful planning and its amazing with the dimarzios. The fust cut into the guitar was terrifying but just be careful and take your time, plan it carefully. In the instructiona it does say they cannot guarrantee it will work or work well with every pickup so do your research before shelling out on one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you ever modded a guitar ? You may start reading the stock wiring diagrams. Then get yourself deeper into analog electronics.

Here is where I started from : http://www.guitarnuts.com/

OOPS, not competent in SINGAPORE?? I thought Singapore was the Mecca of electronics man!
Thank you Panix that is very kind of you. I have never modded guitars but I am a certified mechanic and modded on motorcycles and race them instead. :wink:

I wish I could have the time to do research and work on my own guitars but this is not the case at this point in time. Seems like I might have to purchase a guitar with a sustainiac off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
^^^ cool man, do you do it by hand? hand-operated router? computer-operated router?
a ( hopefully) steady hand and a good plunge router.

It also helps to have a friend trust you to NOT destroy his 25 year old guitar. It's not like I would do it on my own.....LOL.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice work on that RGT!

I've never felt the need to use a sustainer on any of my guitars but if I did I'd do all the work myself. Building and modding guitars is my hobby... well more like an obsession LOL!

If you decide to install one yourself the best advice I can give is to have a good gameplan of what to do, triple check your measurements, and take your time.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Who all makes guitars with sustainer systems installed? I know that Schecter has several models from $750 - $1300... but I don't know who else. I've also heard of Fernandes, but don't know anything about their guitars or prices.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Nice work on that RGT!

I've never felt the need to use a sustainer on any of my guitars but if I did I'd do all the work myself. Building and modding guitars is my hobby... well more like an obsession LOL!

If you decide to install one yourself the best advice I can give is to have a good gameplan of what to do, triple check your measurements, and take your time.
Thanks Mad, I'm in the same camp as you- I love doing it and pushing myself to see how far/well I can go, but I wouldn't want to do it for money. There's too many things that can go wrong and too many people to piss off.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
For sure, although I expect/hope that this one will be way less of a saga than the previous one. I think we've both learned some lessons from the 760.

I think what would be really cool is if you were to show some in progress pics of your jig and setup. I've already mocked up the Sustainer wiring in the 760, so it should go together quickly once it's back in my hands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts