Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously want either green or pink humbuckers on my DY. :D But I actually love the stock pups, so can I just get a pup cover? Also, does anyone know of a vendor that we can buy the EXACT stock pickguard? I can tell its going to be scratched to hell after a couple of gigs, and make no mistake, mine will be a player. :D

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
You can get a new pickguard made using either a template or your actual pickguard. Just send it off to somewhere like Pickguard Paradise.

As for pickup mods or any mods in general, I won't be putting pink or green pickups in, it's too "JEM wannabe" for my liking, and I was always opposed to trying to make an RG into a JEM. What's the point? Be proud of the RG! The fact that it's a cheaper version of a JEM appeals to me and that's why it has charm. I might possibly put different pickups in it, and if anything they'll be red, but as I said, I won't be going down the typical route.

The only other mod I might make is replacing the 5-way switch with a higher quality one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm thinking about to mod it with a chrome glow pickguard and if I don't like the stock pickups, I'll replace them with DiMarzio Breeds and a Blue Velvet or Seymour Duncans.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Alky - try this for a quick and cheap fix. The pickguards are expensive, but the pickup solution should only cost you $10.

Pickguard: http://www.pickguardparadise.com/main.html This is the "Pickguard Paradise" link at the top of this page.

Pickups: http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm Any easy fix - the bobbin toppers. If you don't like it, you can pull them off and try again. If you like the stock pickups, its a lot cheaper this way too.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I`ve got a set of fluorescent orange knobs that i`m gonna put on my RFR. I`d like to get some ornage pups too but i can`t find any. I don`t want those bobbin covers.

Any body know if orange pickups are available?

Chris

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alky - try this for a quick and cheap fix. The pickguards are expensive, but the pickup solution should only cost you $10.

Pickguard: http://www.pickguardparadise.com/main.html This is the "Pickguard Paradise" link at the top of this page.

Pickups: http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm Any easy fix - the bobbin toppers. If you don't like it, you can pull them off and try again. If you like the stock pickups, its a lot cheaper this way too.
Thanks Kirk, thats exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
515 Posts
since im now completely poor after buying the sucker i wont be modding it too much, new pickguard and pickupcovers will do me! Green ones! or yellow

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You can get a new pickguard made using either a template or your actual pickguard. Just send it off to somewhere like Pickguard Paradise.

As for pickup mods or any mods in general, I won't be putting pink or green pickups in, it's too "JEM wannabe" for my liking, and I was always opposed to trying to make an RG into a JEM. What's the point? Be proud of the RG! The fact that it's a cheaper version of a JEM appeals to me and that's why it has charm. I might possibly put different pickups in it, and if anything they'll be red, but as I said, I won't be going down the typical route.

The only other mod I might make is replacing the 5-way switch with a higher quality one.
+1 on the switch mod. Plus, even though it's kinda wannabe, I'll be installing pink Dimarzio Evolutions in my DY with green knobs. Not because I really want it to be a Jem, but because I just like the way it looks.

I will be updating my BK with a Dimarzio 5-way switch and a set of Dimarzio Breed pickups, but may leave the stock single-coil.

I will be updating my RFR with a Dimarzio 5-way switch--don't know if I'll update the pickups. If I do, I'll go with a lower-gain solution like a Norton/PAF Pro combination.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Somebody give me the low down on the dimarzio 5-way, why do you guys like it so much better? The stock 5-way on my 20th is "tight" but I like it a little tight so I dont accidently move it while playing, especially when I'm on the neck pup.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I think it feels cheap, but it works well enough. The lever is thin and feels low quality compared to the JEM switches. Even the switch tip is cheap looking, it's more pointed than the usual Strat type switch tip. I dunno. No big deal right now but I will eventually change it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And how do those pup covers work, do they just slide on? Would I have to remove the pup from the pickguard first or is it a simple drop in?

·
Registered
515 Posts
What about the ones that are from pickguard paradise? anyoe got experiance with them? they look like new plastic tops or something, not stickers..

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
They must be. I haven't used 'em so I can't be sure, but that's what they look like. Some people say they peel off after a while and look crappy.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
*Cries* Only ten are comming to AUS that means I wont own one there RRP is$1999 I dont have that at the moment:( I rekon a dy RG with the same colour dy JEM pickups would look sweet post pics if anyne has one or the finished product when and if you do it

·
Registered
160 Posts
The pickup covers are made from acrylic or vinyl. They are about 1/16" thick ,most times they are stuck on with rubber cement , But i would recommend the 3M double stick tape with a strong tack ! Believe me , if you get the right strength tack it will not peel. I think its better buying the colored pickups from Dimarzio, they are expensive but worth the money for the guitar you love.
Tom G

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I have put in green Dimarzio PUPS in my Original DY RG550

Check this

It needs a clean, polish and fret board work done, but i love her and she loves me

1 - 20 of 73 Posts