Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2012 Les Paul Traditional in near mint condition. Very nice guitar, sounds great, plays great. I thought I could get used to the neck, but alas I can't... I want to sell the LP and use the cash to get what I really want, if only I knew what that was. I thought I really wanted humbuckers because it had been so long since I had them, but I discovered that as awesome as they sound I think I really like my single coils. I have a 1998 American Deluxe Strat which was always my #1 until I won a Jem Jr from Amazon and that now gets about 70% of the gig time. I tried a Lipe (very nice) I tried an EBMM Luke III (top of the list) but Schecter has some really nice small necks which I am a fan of. Thought about Warmouth but not sure if I really want to build. I was really in love with the Ibanez RG1070PB but I did not want another floating bridge (although I just saw that they now have the 1070PBF fixed bridge! Ooh la la!)
While I am not so much worried about the resale even so, an EBMM has much more name recognition down the road than say a Lipe guitar. So while I don't think I'll be selling it in this lifetime it is somewhat of a consideration. So if you had gas, liked smaller necks, not as much interested in the resale what might you pick up?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
RG1070 blue poplar HSH in fixed bridge???? Say what??? You may have just given me GAS!
Believe it or not I'd still like to find a decent RG1451 in aluminum grey or nightcrow to have an HSH RG550-ish fixed bridge.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Mike Lipe unfortunately passed away recently, and so from that list I'd be looking for a Lipe Soldato or Twisted Soldato simply for the name.

As a player, the RG1070...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no! Really?? No wonder his website wasn't working. I am very sorry to hear that on many levels! I last talked to him in late October. If I had gone ahead and ordered a guitar, in the time it would have taken I might have been SOL! Money and guitar! Still I am sad to hear this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah. That's the seven string version, the RG1027. I thought you saw a fixed bridge version of the six string HSH one somewhere.
Shoot... I didn't even notice! I was so excited about the fixed bridge... Should have noticed. Oh well sorry....

·
Registered
18 Posts
GAS is all around and I'm currently observing the second hand markets for a RG3120 or a similar model. A puzzle RG 20062/63/64 won't hurt either.
Since I've got fine guitars to play this would be just fun'n games and GAS :grin2:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Played one of those, very nice guitar! Considered it too! However I am just not a big fan of PRS, I get the quality, but there are certain things that don't thrill me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently played a Schecter though I am not exactly sure which one. Possibly the Sun Valley Super Shredder III the neck was amazingly tiny! Almost felt like a toy. I freakin' loved it! It made me wonder about a Schecter, but I don't know if I need/want a "shredding" guitar. On a side note I saw a video last night of Josh Smith and Joe Bassamama... while I am a big fan of Joe when listening to the LP vs the single coil of Josh I realized that after all these years of playing single coils I guess I really prefer them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
However I am just not a big fan of PRS, I get the quality, but there are certain things that don't thrill me.
Same here. I just sold my '96 CE24 Maple Top that I kept for decades. Top quality & sound, stunning flamed maple top but somehow I never bonded with it so it had to go in favor of a nice RG :grin2:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds to me like you want a hardtail strat with a wizard neck, what about an HSS layout, I personally loathe the bridge single coil on its own so I have hot rails or hot stacks in all my strats which split in position 2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently purchased a Schecter E1 and the quality is as good or better than my 81 Destroyer and my Brothers 84 Explorer. If you are into that style of guitar Schecter E1 sure impressed me. Just my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sounds to me like you want a hardtail strat with a wizard neck, what about an HSS layout, I personally loathe the bridge single coil on its own so I have hot rails or hot stacks in all my strats which split in position 2.
That's how I built my Strat/RoadstarII and it's my main player... I almost feel guilty putting practice wear on the frets. I don't know if it's due to getting older or what, but it is hard to play on the thin neck guitars lately. That's the main attraction to the PRS, the feel/finish and playability of the neck is nice... but can I get one in basswood?? ;-) I'm no shredder anyway... mostly classic rock/metal/bluesy/jazzy/whatever floats my boat on a particular day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was looking to replace my main axe a JTV69 and always wanted a Jem with a Sustainiac. Couldn't find one, and the JS2480 was more than I wanted to spend.

Not sure how I ended up looking @ Schecter but I did. This neck is a little thinner than the one your looking at, 24 SS frets, FR1500, Sustainiac and Fishman Fluence split, for $1k, I figured I'd give it a try, and figure the carbon fiber truss rod would be less susceptible to temp changes.

I love the tones, and you can drop your volume to near zero with no change in tone. A little high range full bore, but it cleans up nice, and it plays great. I think the build quality is better than the Indie BFP that I got, though that was used, and the Shecter is new.

Unlimited funds I would probably go for the JS2480, but would have to try it first.

GAS is a terrible thing I've been good the past 4 years, but since Black Friday well...

Anyway here's the Schecter . Good luck.

SLS Elite : C-1 FR SLS Elite

1 - 20 of 42 Posts