Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2012 Les Paul Traditional in near mint condition. Very nice guitar, sounds great, plays great. I thought I could get used to the neck, but alas I can't... I want to sell the LP and use the cash to get what I really want, if only I knew what that was. I thought I really wanted humbuckers because it had been so long since I had them, but I discovered that as awesome as they sound I think I really like my single coils. I have a 1998 American Deluxe Strat which was always my #1 until I won a Jem Jr from Amazon and that now gets about 70% of the gig time. I tried a Lipe (very nice) I tried an EBMM Luke III (top of the list) but Schecter has some really nice small necks which I am a fan of. Thought about Warmouth but not sure if I really want to build. I was really in love with the Ibanez RG1070PB but I did not want another floating bridge (although I just saw that they now have the 1070PBF fixed bridge! Ooh la la!)
While I am not so much worried about the resale even so, an EBMM has much more name recognition down the road than say a Lipe guitar. So while I don't think I'll be selling it in this lifetime it is somewhat of a consideration. So if you had gas, liked smaller necks, not as much interested in the resale what might you pick up?

· Registered
5,542 Posts
RG1070 blue poplar HSH in fixed bridge???? Say what??? You may have just given me GAS!
Believe it or not I'd still like to find a decent RG1451 in aluminum grey or nightcrow to have an HSH RG550-ish fixed bridge.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh no! Really?? No wonder his website wasn't working. I am very sorry to hear that on many levels! I last talked to him in late October. If I had gone ahead and ordered a guitar, in the time it would have taken I might have been SOL! Money and guitar! Still I am sad to hear this.

· Registered
2,879 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently played a Schecter though I am not exactly sure which one. Possibly the Sun Valley Super Shredder III the neck was amazingly tiny! Almost felt like a toy. I freakin' loved it! It made me wonder about a Schecter, but I don't know if I need/want a "shredding" guitar. On a side note I saw a video last night of Josh Smith and Joe Bassamama... while I am a big fan of Joe when listening to the LP vs the single coil of Josh I realized that after all these years of playing single coils I guess I really prefer them.

· Registered
2,879 Posts
Sounds to me like you want a hardtail strat with a wizard neck, what about an HSS layout, I personally loathe the bridge single coil on its own so I have hot rails or hot stacks in all my strats which split in position 2.
That's how I built my Strat/RoadstarII and it's my main player... I almost feel guilty putting practice wear on the frets. I don't know if it's due to getting older or what, but it is hard to play on the thin neck guitars lately. That's the main attraction to the PRS, the feel/finish and playability of the neck is nice... but can I get one in basswood?? ;-) I'm no shredder anyway... mostly classic rock/metal/bluesy/jazzy/whatever floats my boat on a particular day.

· Registered
18 Posts
I was looking to replace my main axe a JTV69 and always wanted a Jem with a Sustainiac. Couldn't find one, and the JS2480 was more than I wanted to spend.

Not sure how I ended up looking @ Schecter but I did. This neck is a little thinner than the one your looking at, 24 SS frets, FR1500, Sustainiac and Fishman Fluence split, for $1k, I figured I'd give it a try, and figure the carbon fiber truss rod would be less susceptible to temp changes.

I love the tones, and you can drop your volume to near zero with no change in tone. A little high range full bore, but it cleans up nice, and it plays great. I think the build quality is better than the Indie BFP that I got, though that was used, and the Shecter is new.

Unlimited funds I would probably go for the JS2480, but would have to try it first.

GAS is a terrible thing I've been good the past 4 years, but since Black Friday well...

Anyway here's the Schecter . Good luck.

SLS Elite : C-1 FR SLS Elite

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.