Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I bought two Jem's. One JR and the Seam Foam Green.

The Sea Foam doesn't stay in tune no matter what.

Already bought a Gotoh 1996T but unfortunately it came without the Nut and I'm waiting again...

Changed the springs on the back to no avail...

Whenever I us the Edge tremolo towards the guitar it goes flat around a semi tone. If I pull the bar up it goes almost to tune again.

It had a sharp edge on the nut that it's corrected now, the G string used to pop but not anymore.

I want to believe that the problem resides on the nut, otherwise I'll give up.

Tried everything with help from Ibanez users on Facebook Ibanez groups. No luck.

Does anyone have this problem?

Other than that I love the guitar.

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
No way the Edge should be giving you those problems but 1 is procedure. only fine tune after a dive, pullup can be a hair sharp, dive again in perfect tune. Lube the studs with chapstick to minimize the difference,

I have had a couple of these LN [nut] pads that didn't want to hold a string well lately, strum each behind the nut, the hold the bar agaist the body and do it again. If the pitch lowers it's not holding a string, or it's loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way the Edge should be giving you those problems but 1 is procedure. only fine tune after a dive, pullup can be a hair sharp, dive again in perfect tune. Lube the studs with chapstick to minimize the difference,

I have had a couple of these LN [nut] pads that didn't want to hold a string well lately, strum each behind the nut, the hold the bar agaist the body and do it again. If the pitch lowers it's not holding a string, or it's loose.
Check this nut:

the screw are tightened and they cross the nut.

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
Not my point, i've had some not holding strings until cranking down on the screws. Check pitch behind on a string and dive the bar and see if it changes, repeat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not my point, i've had some not holding strings until cranking down on the screws. Check pitch behind on a string and dive the bar and see if it changes, repeat.
Did that, doesn't stay in tune. I believe the nut is the probably the culprit because those screw from the back that protrude are messing with the force necessary to firmly secure the strings. Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
^^ So you hear the strings changing pitch behind the nut when using the trem and everything's screwed down.

If the nut mounting bolts are preventing you from securing the pads properly, you'll have to cut them down. When I was putting together my 410, I used a Gotoh nut (original Top Lok III impossible to find, esp. at a reasonable price) and the bolts were too tall for the pads to lock the strings down, so I cut them down.

Also, you might be able to find shorter bolts to buy.

Otherwise, listen to Rich, he knows what he's talking about ;). He's had hundreds of Edge/Lo Pro loaded guitars pass through his hands over the years, seen it all.

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
I haven't seen a bolt too long, just pads that are not seating right without really torqueing them down, which at some point is just asking for the nut to strip. It's an LN nut not a Japanese TL nut so the quality metallurgy isn't there. Although if your bolt is too long and preventing the pad from clamping definitely grind it back [file it, etc, much easier than trying to cut it]

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes, agree. Cutting vs grinding/filing depending on length; I cut mine because grinding would've taken forever.

Side note – have you ever seen the issue of the radius of the pad not matching the nut so it was harder for the pad to get decent purchase on the string?

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
Grinding takes 10 seconds and leaves a better thread. Cutting? Even with a cut off wheel, not the best solution.

That may be the problem is the form of the pad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ So you hear the strings changing pitch behind the nut when using the trem and everything's screwed down.

If the nut mounting bolts are preventing you from securing the pads properly, you'll have to cut them down. When I was putting together my 410, I used a Gotoh nut (original Top Lok III impossible to find, esp. at a reasonable price) and the bolts were too tall for the pads to lock the strings down, so I cut them down.

Also, you might be able to find shorter bolts to buy.

Otherwise, listen to Rich, he knows what he's talking about ;). He's had hundreds of Edge/Lo Pro loaded guitars pass through his hands over the years, seen it all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grinding takes 10 seconds and leaves a better thread. Cutting? Even with a cut off wheel, not the best solution.

That may be the problem is the form of the pad.
Can you please point me to which tool I should use so I can buy it here?
Many thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Switching the pads arround (like from low E to high E strings etc)? WIll that not work. I had that years ago with a JS1000 moving the pads fixed that. If I read your problem correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Switching the pads arround (like from low E to high E strings etc)? WIll that not work. I had that years ago with a JS1000 moving the pads fixed that. If I read your problem correctly.
Already tried it to no avail. I need to sand those screws. Thanks

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
Grind, grinder. If you don't have one some friends father does in their basement or garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grind, grinder. If you don't have one some friends father does in their basement or garage.
Thanks, I just did it, but since I'm new in this kinda of stuff I did it with the nut on.... The surface seems clean and the pads fit perfectly but maybe I ruined the nut? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And I bought this one, just in case... I just hope it fits! lol

There's nothing like this here in my town. The reference is: Ibanez Ibanez 2LN1BR43K Loking nut

Thanks

·
Vendor
26,384 Posts
Except it should be chrome.
Yea, you just want to grind the end of the bolt, but if it was protruding that might have been your problem. the ends of the pads probably pinch enough to hole. try it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Except it should be chrome.
Yea, you just want to grind the end of the bolt, but if it was protruding that might have been your problem. the ends of the pads probably pinch enough to hole. try it.
Chrome wasn't available... Thanks man, I'm gonna try it and report back.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts