Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting my studio together and a few friends who really know their stuff told me I should get some sort of mixer so I can manually mix. My recording rig is on a MAC G5 with Pro Tools and is a sick setup. So I buy a Mackie D8B digital board got a great deal at $2700) and I spend $1500 on a OMNIRAX desk built for the mixer. Have everything hooked up (looks very pro) and another friend who works at a studio says "Dude - Why did you waste your money on that board?" Now I am pissed. Even if I sell the board I wasted $1500 on the desk that was built for it.

So I guess what I am trying to ask is - Can I use this board and make it worthwhile to keep? I don't mind keeping it if I really can use it.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow!
Before I spent that much money on gear I'd do my homework.
Just buy kit that 'you' know you need.

Why can't you use the Mackie anyway?

Guy

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
What does your friend do at the studio, sweep the floors?

The Mackie isn't a waste of money, you can still make use of it with PT. But in the future, I would do a little bit more research into your needs before dropping that kind of cash.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did do my homework. I am going to use the Mackie for the pres and also for manual mixing. I still would like to use it for these purposes. But when someone put's that thought in your head you start to wonder if you could have done without it after all. And plus I got such a good deal on the D8B I can always sell it for what I paid. I won't take a loss on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like the guy said it becuase he was jealous or something.. You must think he knows more than you or something to feel that way? I wouldn't worry too much about what everyone said.. Like you say.. You can always sell it, then get something you want, or do with what you've got! Good luck!
Tim

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with DotNetTim. GuyCool, what tells you that Javashred didn't do his homework ? After all, his "friend" did not give any reason why he shouldn't have bought that board - he only made this silly remark "that it's a waste of money". Is it already obsolete ? Is it a model which is prone to defects ? Or does this friend think that it's just too expensive for a hobbyist ? In the latter case, I call jealousy: if you can afford it, why not go for the good stuff ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.