Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
extremist777 said:
Which one... FRED, EVOLUTION, or Evo 2 ???
I want, fat and warm sound and also clear.
Fred and Evo are two fairly different pickups

Evo and Evo 2 are fairly similar, so I'l start there.

The Evo 2 is slightly less gaining that evo, and rolls the volume down nicely, also has a good lead ability as you would expect.

these things aside, I really can't stand Evo, or Evo 2, but that's my prefence.

as for Fred, so figure, a PAF-PRO with more top end sizzle and a smattering of more midrange.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Having owned a Fred and Evo I would say that neither of those may be characterized as fat or warm, clear yes... it also depends on what you're putting them in though.

Fat, Warm, Clear, Dimarzio? The first thing that comes to my mind is the Breed, I own that too. Fat, Hot, Not so clear, Dimarzio? The Tone Zone. Both kick @$$ in basswood.

Mike

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
the tone zone seems to be more of what your looking for, its one of the most suggested pickups ive ever seen, so you wont sound unique, but you will sound good. ;)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I wouldn't call the EVO (or EVO2) fat and warm. The FRED would certainly be closer to that description. Try one out. Or maybe a PAF Pro.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
TheToneZone said:
Having owned a Fred and Evo I would say that neither of those may be characterized as fat or warm, clear yes... it also depends on what you're putting them in though.

Fat, Warm, Clear, Dimarzio? The first thing that comes to my mind is the Breed, I own that too. Fat, Hot, Not so clear, Dimarzio? The Tone Zone. Both kick @$$ in basswood.

Mike
ditto for the tone zone. the fred and evos aren't really that fat.

rich

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Give these a try: Tone Zone, Air Norton, Breeds and Paf Pros. Basically the sound you're looking for is usually associated with alnico magnets.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I would suggest the Norton, not the Air Norton for the bridge. It has alot of the same qualities as the TZ with tighter bass. The Breed is also a good pickup along the same lines. If you want really clear, try a Steve's Special. Fat and warm vs clear are often opposites with pickups.

Roger

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i have never looked for "warm" in a bridge pup. neck maybe but not a bridge pup. Pearly Gates and JB are good bridge pups for mahogany/maple and most Dimarzios seem to be good for basswood. Neck pups like Air Norton and Paf Pro from Dimarzio and Jazz or '59 from Seymour have been some of my choices and some of the MOST recommended pups about anywhere you go.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
what kind of guitar? wood?...you haven't replied to this thread so the rest of us have had little info on the details of what exactly you have and are trying to get out of it.

rich

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guitar body is BASSWOOD, it's a prestige RG2550EX VB, and i'm swappin' stock Dimarzio/IBZ pups... neck is now a SUSTAINIAC STEALTH PLUS.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Dimarzio Steve's Specail or Tone Zone are popular in basswood as is an Evo if you want something with a lot of output and you can get a lot of dynamics with an Evo and your volume knob.
ooooohh sustainer!! mmmm...

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
extremist777 said:
Yeah! now i'm between Evo2 or Breed for Bridge position...
not too familiar with the Evo 2 pups - must have missed that thread - anyone got a link on info?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
tone zone or air zone. the tone zone will work out great for the all of what you want, but the air zone will be a tad more clear. being that it is basswood, tho, the tone zone will have more clarity than in a mahogany guitar, not that it is typically an issue. i love a TZ in mahogany. just saying the low end of a basswood axe is less than that of mahogany.

rich

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i haven't decided yet, is hard to know how an specific pickup in my guitar, except for what i read about tone zone in basswood. Maybe the kind of gear will help you to have an idea, i connect my rg2550ex into a crybaby535Q then to my podxt live to an Atomic amp (i love it), the atomic has a beautiful low end and Dimarzio/IBZ bridge pickups sound too dark.. So....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts