Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will start by saying I’m not getting any younger ha ha. I started playing in 1983. My Mom and Dad agreed to buy me an electric guitar and amp. The first guitar I got, from them, was an Ibanez RS100 and my first amp was. Peavey Decade. The guitar was quite decent, even though the body was plywood. It had a great neck.

I had 2 choices of guitars that my parents presented me. The Ibanez, or a House Brand MIJ Strat under the “Matao” brand, which was made for a chain of stores in the PNW called Music West. It was what got me started.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Awesome thread My first acoustic was a classical not a known brand that I got through the music lessons at school I think 96/97 my first Electiric was an Aria Stg-004 with a Peavy Blazer amp that I didnt appreciate enough I think it was April 2001 and I have been playing ever since.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I started playing in 1986 at age 15 when my parents insisted I needed a hobby. I thought I'd call their bluff by choosing electric guitar, but they supported it. My uncle gave me a 1974 Gibson SG, an amazing first guitar but one that I couldn't bond with because it just felt too small and the players I most admired all played strats or super-strats. I soon sold that to my brother, who never played guitar but recognized the dollar value and held it for a while as an investment, and began playing strats. Only much more recently have my preferences shifted toward Ibanez guitars, the necks in particular.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow you and I are close to the same age. I never would have guessed that I would be such a gear slut at 52. But guitar playing is really the only pleasure I have left in my life, other than my dog. I used to have 2 other hobbies….competitive shooting and motorcycles. All in all, the guitar hobby costs less than the other two, which I had to give up due to cost.

I had a large handgun collection, which I sold most of and gave some of my guns to my son, who is active duty military. I gave up motorcycles after getting hit by a one ton Ford. My son has a keen interest in shooting. And he also plays a little guitar from time to time.

My daughter is a novice guitarist. I can’t put her in lessons though. She has great anxiety. She is also mildly mentally retarded (I know I’m not supposed to say that) but it is what it is. Her IQ is low, but not as low as Down’s syndrome. I have bought my kids and grandkids multiple guitars as they all play just a bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow you and I are close to the same age. I never would have guessed that I would be such a gear slut at 52. But guitar playing is really the only pleasure I have left in my life, other than my dog. I used to have 2 other hobbies….competitive shooting and motorcycles. All in all, the guitar hobby costs less than the other two, which I had to give up due to cost.

I had a large handgun collection, which I sold most of and gave some of my guns to my son, who is active duty military. I gave up motorcycles after getting hit by a one ton Ford. My son has a keen interest in shooting. And he also plays a little guitar from time to time.

My daughter is a novice guitarist. I can’t put her in lessons though. She has great anxiety. She is also mildly mentally retarded (I know I’m not supposed to say that) but it is what it is. Her IQ is low, but not as low as Down’s syndrome. I have bought my kids and grandkids multiple guitars as they all play just a bit.
I have a few shooting trophies, for rifles as well as archery, from when I was a kid. The time together, outdoors, with my dad and his buddies was fantastic, but none of my friends shared those hobbies. They/we were more into sports and, I'll admit, doing well in school, so somewhere in my early teen years I gave/sold my guns, bow, and related gear to my dad.

I was a one-guitar guy until I found Warmoth, then strat-talk, and got bit by the partscaster bug. My other hobby is aquarium keeping, but I don't spend nearly as much time or money on that. My younger son (9) has been taking guitar lessons for a couple of years, he's really enjoying it. I wish there was more interest in our extended family in playing music, but it's pretty much just me and my son, if he sticks with it. My wife's family has a lot of musicians, including a guitar teacher and a classical composer, but they all live in Israel so we don't get together! You're fortunate to have so many loved ones to share this with.

·
Registered
187 Posts
1982 and my first guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar 440 I believe. Black with gold hardware, 2 terrible humbuckers that could be split on the pots, terrible pre-edge trem, and small ass factory frets. Loved that guitar because here we are 40 years later and I have a few cool guitars, but my skill level is probably the same as 1983.

But it all started there, and with Ibanez.

·
Registered
571 Posts
90s. Chinese Squier strat.
Really nice neck on it once worn in but the worst set of pickups ever.

Got bit with the ibanez bug once I had a weekend job. But could only afford a JS100.
Again really nice neck. But the worst set of pickups and trem going. (LoTrsII uggghh)

·
Registered
186 Posts

I got my start when my cousin sold me a squier strat, an ibanez practice amp, an ibanez chorus pedal, and a rush book.

I still debate whether that was a good decision or not. Lol.

My first real guitar was a '90 strat plus deluxe

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
My dad tried to teach me when I was 11, but I couldn't play Purple Haze on the first day so I foolishly gave up. Always wanted to play music though and ended up learning to play a little crappy short scale bass when I was about 15. Just jamming with friends who played guitar and such, but then my dad loaned a friend some money and he gave my dad his prized Ibanez Black Eagle bass as collateral until he could pay it back. Thats when I became enamored with Ibanez! I played the hell out of that bass and then one day it was gone, back to the owner. So I bought a big Peavey T40 that I still have...

Fast forward a couple of years, joined the military, had a paycheck and nothing to spend it on... Went to downtown Denver and bought an Ibanez RG110 and a 15 watt Marshall practice amp, summer of 1987. Been wanking around on guitars ever since, although for many years while raising kids I would barely play at all.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
1987. I bought a Sears & Roebuck guitar off of a friend. Shortly after that I bought a Memphis that had a double locking trem and a Fender Sidekick. Finally in the summer of 1988 I bought a RG550 in RFR. Played it through a Peavey Renown. It's been downhill since; my playing and my gear acquisitions. I still play like it's 1987. 🤪

The only guitar I still have from that time period was a Regent ("by Kramer") acoustic that my grandmother bought for me from East Coast Music Mall in Danbury, CT; the former home of the infamous Ed Roman.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I started in the year 2000, with a Nylon acoustic guitar I found stored in my attic. My brother had started to learn when he was younger (he's 10 years my senior) and it was his guitar, my father also played and was a really accomplished bass player that had played with some big names over the years, though by this time he had stopped playing and had been working as an engineer before having to go into rehab for a drinking problem (that started in his teenage years while playing bass in bands touring the UK) and he was no longer living with us

So I'm almost 36 years old, back then as a 14-year-old the guitar hobby had exploded in popularity and a lot of kids had begun to take free lessons at school, I heard about this and decided to join in on the fun and I played the guitars at school for a little while, they had entry level garbage (like mid 90s Encore models and other similar Strat based guitars), then at home I'd play my brothers Nylon string (that he had painted white with a black lightning bolt on it, nice...), or I'd go to my friends house and play his Squier. After a while I told my dad that I'd started learning and he gave me some quick pointers and left me to it, we discussed with my grandparents about getting an electric guitar. I'd originally decided on an Encore because it was affordable but they wanted me to get the Squier because they could see I liked it a lot more, we got a Squier Affinity starter pack ordered from Argos (a catalogue store here in the UK).

Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument Plucked string instruments

I can't overstate how many kids in my fairly large school had begun playing guitar and probably half of them had purchased a Squier starter pack, so these guitars and the little 10w bundled Squier practice amps were everywhere. Mine was a Sunburst Strat. After I got the Strat my dad gave me a few lessons to get me up and running on the basics and I got a few instruction books and also continued to take lessons at school and it all took off from there. I pretty much played guitar non stop for the next few years and played my first official live show with my band in March 2005 and have been doing it ever since.

Edit : Photo above is the Squier in its current iteration, though it has been modified so much only the neck is original, the original body (in the bottom part of the photo) is now paired to a different neck. Bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB JR, which I fitted to the guitar in early 2002 and the neck/middle pickups are taken out of a Mexican Fender Strat.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'd originally decided on an Encore because it was affordable but they wanted me to get the Squier because they could see I liked it a lot more, we got a Squier Affinity starter pack ordered from Argos (a catalogue store here in the UK).
The Affinity is a great guitar. I have one as well and with some setup work it plays and sounds great. Mine currently has a single humbucker that I pulled out of my RG920; a DiMarzio/IBZ and it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, my second electric guitar was an 82 Smith Strat that my dad gave Christmas of 1984. I wound up selling my first electric, the Ibanez RS 100. Just FYI. I played that strat for nearly 20 years. I started growing a collection in 2008, when I gave motorcycles up for good.

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
I started playing in January 1992, at age 12. Got a Yamaha CG40A classical guitar, and my aunty taught me for about a year. On my birthday in August 1992 I got a red Cort Strat copy, with a plywood body and maple neck/fretboard, and a little Gorilla amp, with a tube stack and chorus effect. I moved on to an established guitar teacher, who had come second to Frank Gambale in some sort of national guitar playing competition back in the day, and by year ten (1995) I'd saved up to buy my first 'good' electric an Ibanez RG470BK. Still have that guitar, albeit with the frets played to their bones, neck repaired twice, and extensive modifications/retro-fitted Edge, etc.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well, my scold electric guitar was an 82 Smith Strat that my dad gave Christmas of 1984. I wound up selling my first electric, the Ibanez RS 100. Just FYI. I played that strat for nearly 20 years. I started growing a collection in 2008, when I gave motorcycles up for good.
I'd say I started growing a collection in 2017. I bought my Jem 7V for my 19th birthday in 2005 (right around the time I joined Jemsite) and it was the last guitar I purchased until 2017 when I bought a 30th Anniversary Jem, I would borrow guitars a lot from other musician friends but I was completely uninterested in owning anything new. I honestly went a long time thinking I was done buying guitars for good and I was really only interested in amps. In 2012 I bought a Cornford Hellcat, I had been obsessed with Cornfords since I had first started playing and when I got that amp it was over for me I just lost all interest in guitars and related gear, I just liked playing what I had.

It's weird how things change, I came on to Jemsite one day and saw the thread about the Jem 777 30th being released for 2017 and got caught up in the hype, decided I was having one. Since then I've bought the L6 Helix in early 2018 and then a few more guitars, the last one being the EVH Frankie about a year ago. I think I'm done with guitars again now though, I have too many to actually play and it doesn't make much sense for me to collect them. Maybe a Suhr Strat one day, H/S/S, maybe an Ibanez AZ but the price of a Japanese one is pretty close to the price of a Suhr last I checked and I just prefer Suhr for that kinda guitar.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I started around 83 after a friend of mine bought a Ibanez Performer 150 (?), a very nice black Les Paul Custom for a horrendous amount of money. So I got a "limited edition" - that's what the vendor told me - Cimar Strat in nice metalic red. The Cimar should be Ibanez related because it got the same headstock. It's in fact a limited edition: In the neck pocket is a wirting 54/300 :D
Musical instrument Guitar White String instrument Green

·
Registered
571 Posts
I started around 83 after a friend of mine bought a Ibanez Performer 150 (?), a very nice black Les Paul Custom for a horrendous amount of money. So I got a "limited edition" - that's what the vendor told me - Cimar Strat in nice metalic red. The Cimar should be Ibanez related because it got the same headstock. It's in fact a limited edition: In the neck pocket is a wirting 54/300 :D View attachment 18113
That looks like a fun first guitar.
I think in the 70s and early 80s there were a few things coming out of Japan that appear to be from the same production line that were given other brands in different markets. Cimar and Antoria come up a lot but I think there were others. I've never been able to find out definitively if they were all Fujigen/Hoshino Gakki or not. And quality seems to vary a lot from some real entry level ones to some very high end stuff.. It's an interesting period and there's still some real steals to be had if you look for them now.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
1983. My first "guitar" was my step-dad's electric, then one with the built-in speaker, then a Hondo Explorer. The first "real" guitar I remember getting was an Ecka (sp?0 LP copy, and that thing was rock solid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A red Squier Strat for my 15th birthday in 1995, 'rosewood' fretboard, but without a truss rod, so the neck is completely warped. A cheap Yamaha 25 W solid state amp, total crappy sound.
I've been thinking of upgrading the Squier.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.