Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -
So my girlfriend wants to get me something for Valentine's Day, something guitar-related. So i really don't need anything in terms of effects or amps, so looking for maybe an inexpensive guitar (~$200).
I already have an Ibanez RG550 which i love, the only thing i would change on it would be to have a thicker neck. So I'm thinking of getting something with a thicker neck (shouldn't be hard as the wizard necks are very thin).
I want a maple fingerboard - the only requirement (along with price).
Looking at maybe:

Squier 51
Squier Affinity Tele
OLP MM1
Kramer Focus Series (musicyo)?

any suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
Intriguing question. Well of the ones you selected i may reccoment the OLP MM1. It is a high quality device and it should do well for several years with little or no repair work. And the necks are extremely good. Only thing to avoid IMO is the MM1F with the TRS trem. You will be buying a new floyd in days with that thing. So happy hunting and happy v day. Joshua

·
Registered
147 Posts
Intriguing question. Well of the ones you selected i may reccoment the OLP MM1. It is a high quality device and it should do well for several years with little or no repair work. And the necks are extremely good. Only thing to avoid IMO is the MM1F with the TRS trem. You will be buying a new floyd in days with that thing. So happy hunting and happy v day. Joshua

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thebigugly -
Thanks for the suggestions. After reading some of the reviews for the above mentioned models, it seems like with the Focus and the squiers there is alot of work needed to get the guitar up and running (i.e. filing sharp frets, changing saddles, tuners, etc...). I don't feel like doing all that.
The OLP seems from the reviews to be good "out of the box".

Might go with that, but been looking at the Fender Standard Strats as well - a bit out of the $ range but who knows....

jeff

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've just bagged a late 80's Charvette for £50 recently.
Strat style body, vintige style trem and H/S/S with a five way. It's one of the best little guitars I've ever bought and it'll give my DY chance for a well earned rest every couple of days.

$0.02

Ben

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all -
Thanks so far...
I'm leaning toward a Fender strat i think, always wanted one. A bit more than $200 but you never know..........
As for something else, what else is good out in terms of effects? I have a vox amp which i am getting great sounds from and it covers all the effects i'll ever use.

jeff

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of getting a MIM Strat in artic white with maple fingerboard - you know get that yngwie vibe going (LOL).
I've always had floyd rose equipped guitars - how do the strats fair in staying in tune? I don't use the bar at all, just want to make sure when i go bend a couple of notes here and there that the guitar doesn't go out of tune.

jeff

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I bought a Squier Standard strat, this past year, for $180.00. Played just as good as my Mexi-Strat, and was actually quieter. Brown burst. Only thing I didn't like was the large headstock, so I re-shaped it, to that of my Mexi-Strat. Best $180 I ever spent. Not ALL lower-priced guitars are bad. I've played high-end Gibsons that were awful. Try it before you buy it, that's all.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Fender synchronized trems aren't terrible, and especially if you're doing little to no trem work. Bending does pretty much nothing to any of the strats i've played on (unless the strings are real old and catch on the nut easily). Just don't expect to be able to do fun Floyd stuff on 'em ;) Oh and fluidity on these trems is pretty much out of the question...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't forget Yamaha... their Pacifica series are nice budget axes and Yamaha has very good QC. I was very impressed with the condition of their cheap PAC012 models, well rounded/finished frets, well oiled rosewood fretboards.

They have maple fretboard models, mostly 22frets with a HSS config and a vintage trem or fixed bridge. No floyd there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi -
Thanks again veryone for the suggestions.....
I'm going to hit GC tomorrow and basically try out everything they have and go from there.
dangomles - you know, if i knew she was going to get me something last week, i wouldn't have gone and bought some new pickups (Duncan Jazz) last week...doh, so much for timing.....

Anyway, i will definitely let you all know what i end up getting.

thanks again

jeff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.