Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just noticed today while changing a string that the finger bevel parts of the monkey grip, the finish is very bumpy and looks really bad. I keep 3 silice gel bags in my case, one at the headstock, one at the neck and one inside the monkey grip, is this what caused it? Can silica gel bags do this?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
what model jem is it. The 7Ds BSBs and a few others do no have the same finish inside the mokey grip as they do all over

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
and no... unreactive silica gel will not damage the finish... also being too dry will not damage the finish.. with that much silica gel about you would be advised to make sure you keep your fingerboard well oiled.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My VSBL is different. The paint just isn't applied as thick, so there's a definite difference between the top, back, and in the grip. There's also a little bubble in the finish. The lion's claw is fine. On my FP, on the other hand, there is no noticeable difference.

My guess is that it's because of difference in the ability of the individual colors to completely cover the surface. In other words, it's harder for a lighter paint to cover a darker surface. They should've applied another coat or two to the grip. It's a quality control issue, it seems to me.

I also suspect it's tricky to paint inside the grip with paint guns - a size issue perhaps.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think its like this by design. the inside of the monkey grip and the lion claw are half finished. as opposite to the surface of the guitar which the finish is complete.
Just like the paint on the car. Just lift the hood and look and touch the inside paint. Its not finished as the exterior one.

·
Registered
640 Posts
All of my jems have all had some little inperfections in that area, even my DNA had a bump or 2. I think someone just isn't taking the time to sand and clean and effectively in that area. Same goes for the claw cut out. It never bothered me though.

~A

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeh I think the time wasn't taken to sand and clean it carefully enough. I got a Jem777DY body for project that had a horrible green (not LNG) paint all over applied very badly, particularly in the monkeygrip. After sanding for ages, I got it back to the DY and primer coats, and it came very smooth. I hope it paints up ok now.

I'm also doing a project with a RG body that had mods done by someone, a monkeygrip and claw to look like a jem. On this one the wood is difficult to work with, any cutting you do, the grains tear and pop up, making it difficult to keep smooth. It took some time to get it sanded and filled to be smooth enough for painting.

So yeh I think its definitely the attention to detail spent by the manufacturer. But look, its out of the way and no big deal really, its still an awesome guitar right!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts