Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i'm Ardian, I'm from Indonesia
I've got Jem77Bfp, and U Know I always wanted an Ibanez Jem 7VWh like Steve Vai, but because the weak of My Country currency the price of that guitar well, become quite expensive too me...(and for everybody in my country)

i've got some idea for Ibanez :
- why don't, Ibanez also make jem 7vwh from at a very low spec (Not like Jem JR), and it can be upgrade step by step

expl :
Low Spec Ibanez Jem7VWH :
Accesories Not Gold (Less $ ?? )---> Which I can Upgrade To Gold Later
Tremolo ILT (Less $ 235) ----> I Can Upgrade Later to Lo Pro Edge Gold
Pickup (Inf 1 & 2) ----> I can Upgrade to Dimarzio Evo later

well the idea just like updgrade u r computer, form Pentium IV 1.2 GHZ to Pentium IV 2.1 GHz

Ok, that's all, thank u for reading my thread

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Then why not save up and buy the real deal later. The thing is, it won't be a 7VWH (or a any Jem) unless that is how it left the Ibanez factory.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Welcome.

Unfortunately, Ibanez's reputation for listening to their customers isn't among the best. Having said that the BFP is a great guitar, there's certainly nothing wrong with it. If you want a VWH someday, just enjoy your BFP in the meantime!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
bpd111 said:
the BFP is a great guitar, there's certainly nothing wrong with it. If you want a VWH someday, just enjoy your BFP in the meantime!
Yup - I have both and my BFP gets much more use.

Almost sounds like your wanting a VWH cuz Vai has one (hundred):)

You may find that sometimes it's better to want something than to actually have it;)

And don't count on Ibanez building an upgradable VWH. It's simply not going to happen.

Oh and welcome:)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Even if Ibanez did listen to customers and wanted to, it would have to be blessed by Steve Vai and I'm betting he's not interested in having a low-rent Jem out there with his name on it. (ok, other than the Jem Jr. and 555) ;)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
bpd111 said:
Unfortunately, Ibanez's reputation for listening to their customers isn't among the best.
you kidding!?!
the ONLY company in the whole world that DOES what their customers ask is Ibanez. period. just go back reading THIS thread and have a look yourself:

we wanted fixed-bridge RGs? they did it.
we wanted neck-thru RGs? they did it.
we wanted arch-top RGs? they did it.
we wanted to trash the TRS trems? they did it.
we wanted a whole new revolutionary trem? they did it.
we wanted the Backstop back? they did it.
we wanted an upgrade on cheap models' quality? they did it.
we wanted more semi-hollows? they did it.
we wanted new eye-boggling custom finish? they did it.
we wanted the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups back? they did it.
we wanted reinforced nuts? they did it.
we wanted necks without scarf-joints? they did it.

...and the list goes on. i think the only thing they didn't are the neon colors, and the only step back was getting rid of the stud-locks (believe it or not, they had very good reasons to do that), but once the trem is well setup you're set. go find another brand who takes care of their customers like Ibanez does.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
i wasnt mean it was good to get rid of the stud-locks in general, i meant THEY had good reasons to do that. i know you hate that, me too, and all of us Ibanez people as a whole community that do knows about the existence of the stud-locks. but all the rest of the world doesnt. you probably know the reasons behind this choice, being Rich Harris, i dont. i just know that i work as a setup guy some years now and i've seen tons of stripped posts or broken post heads because the owner over-tightened'em in order to achieve a lower action. no good for the Ibanez user and no good for Ibanez too. lack of info is the culprit, to me. the instruction manual ain't enough, the Jemsite and IbanezRules arent enough to cover all of the Ibanez users in the world. so i think Ibanez did the same as with the Backstop in '89 or so, that is: "if the people cant deal with it, then get rid of it". this way they would spend less in production and even less in repairs. call me crazy but that's what i think. what else reason otherwise?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
where are the eye boggling finishes??

ibanez finishes are the most boring and standard to me and when they try to do something different like a swirl it has to be black and white and look bland of course...
don't tell me the Giger's are eye boggling cos they may be coolish but they're far from gorgeous to me

i don't think ibanez really listen much. all companies listen a fair bit-because it's profitable, but those that seem to go an extra step almost for the consumer's benefit and really mix up their product line to cater for more choice.. THEY'RE the ones that get the title 'a company that truly listens' and that's certainly NOT ibanez

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ant1981 said:
Then why not save up and buy the real deal later.
well remember he's in indonesia so it's hard to find used bargains etc on the net cos many wont ship to him

as for saving and buying new, if it's too expensive there it can seem not worth the money..
same reason i will never buy a brand new jem here in australia, do i think they are worth the $4-5000 they cost here? NO WAY!

it's far cheaper to import or buy used(AND import :p )
so someone saying 'just save up and then you can pay any cost' to me atleast would be fruitless.. :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ki swordsman said:
where are the eye boggling finishes?? [...] don't tell me the Giger's are eye boggling cos they may be coolish but they're far from gorgeous to me
this is your problem. the black&white swirl model and the Giger series (i mean, the new one) is something stunning that other companies do not even think to offer. don't you like'em? who cares?

Ki swordsman said:
i don't think ibanez really listen much. all companies listen a fair bit-because it's profitable, but those that seem to go an extra step almost for the consumer's benefit and really mix up their product line to cater for more choice.. THEY'RE the ones that get the title 'a company that truly listens' and that's certainly NOT ibanez
you speak, speak speak... but you dont share examples. too easy, man.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
first- i'm talking fairly exclusively about RGlike lines

ok, the colours are my opinion, from my time here i was under the impression that was most ppl's general opinion of ibanez lines were that they were very boring basically.
there's always a few high end expensive models that ppl might like but you look at lines in general(and compare to earlier lines) and it's a whole bag of boring, options included basically too-not many fixed bridge RG options, not many hugely varying pup switching/combination or pup model differences,
and after all that there's no choice on models to change anything apart from between 2 or 3 standard looking finish options, if it were there it would combat the aforementioned bag of boring

as for ibanez not listening much in my opinion(they listen like a company, just not enough to warrant "ooh ibanez is a company that really listens")
i did give example of where i thought they lacked listening, you just had to see it.."mix up their product line to cater for more choice"

all of the above is my example too ;)

i'm trying to say i think they have some great solid designs, but they have a million models that are very slight variations on that with no real choice differences coming into it(finish,hardware,pups,whatever)

imagine how great it'd be just to start to get not only more finish choice but hardware colour choice? or one or 2 pup choices? or a fixed bridge(like the new gibraltar+) model for each great RG? imagine how many more sales they'd have if ppl could really see and get what they wanted.
and if they're not offering exactly what ppl want, how can you call them a truly listening company..?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Ki swordsman said:
well remember he's in indonesia so it's hard to find used bargains etc on the net cos many wont ship to him

as for saving and buying new, if it's too expensive there it can seem not worth the money..
same reason i will never buy a brand new jem here in australia, do i think they are worth the $4-5000 they cost here? NO WAY!

it's far cheaper to import or buy used(AND import :p )
so someone saying 'just save up and then you can pay any cost' to me atleast would be fruitless.. :)
Hell I don't think Jems are worth the money they go for second hand either.

Example, I have 5 Jems and 2 RG550's and a 505. The 505 plays like my 777SK and the 550's play a little better than the 77's and play much alike my 7's.

It's all asthetics and Vai endorsement at the end of the day my friends :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ki swordsman said:
first- i'm talking fairly exclusively about RGlike lines
fine, so we're cutting out at least 60% of the whole Ibanez electric guitar production.

Ki swordsman said:
i was under the impression that was most ppl's general opinion of ibanez lines were that they were very boring basically.
true.

Ki swordsman said:
...options included basically too-not many fixed bridge RG options, not many hugely varying pup switching/combination or pup model differences
not many hugely varying pup switching/combination!?! are you kidding? how many hugely varying pup switching do you want in one model? anyway, we're talking about the RG line only, right? an RG is an RG, you can find H/H 3-way, H/H 5-way, H/S/H, 3 different kind of pickups, pickguard or no pickguard, trem or fixed bridge, arch-top or flat-tops, neck-thru or bolt-ons, solid colors or natural finishes and also maple tops... and you want more? do you think Ibanez can really make all the RGs you want? keep dream...

Ki swordsman said:
and after all that there's no choice on models to change anything apart from between 2 or 3 standard looking finish options
agree.

Ki swordsman said:
as for ibanez not listening much in my opinion [...] i did give example of where i thought they lacked listening
the only example that makes sense is for the finish options, but the "not many hugely varying pup switching/combination" is just out of this world. be realistic.

Ki swordsman said:
mix up their product line to cater for more choice
i thank God for that.

Ki swordsman said:
they have a million models that are very slight variations on that with no real choice differences coming into it
"real choice differences" mean "other models" i.e. S, SZ, AX, Artcores etc. we're talking about ONE model only. there can be not many differences within one model, otherwise it would turn in another model.

Ki swordsman said:
imagine how great it'd be just to start to get not only more finish choice but hardware colour choice? or one or 2 pup choices? or a fixed bridge model for each great RG?
of course it would, but we have to be realistic!

Ki swordsman said:
imagine how many more sales they'd have if ppl could really see and get what they wanted
do you really think a company could ever be able to satisfy EVERY customer of theirs? this is just fool. BE REALISTIC!

Ki swordsman said:
and if they're not offering exactly what ppl want, how can you call them a truly listening company..?
as above. is clear that you're really tryind to find the way to demonstrate you're right, but you aren't. you're just dreaming, and that's good but you can't pretend a company to be able to satisfy MILLIONS customers in the whole world, each one with his own wish list. wake up!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yes i meant RGs cos basically i haven't much knowledge in others. it may cut out 60% of guitar models, but the RG would make up 60% in sales itself no?

i'm saying that to me the RG line caters for basically a very small number of groups, with a few random things around the line like fixed bridges and every other group has to customise things, are you saying it would be hard to add a few options which would make far more buyers interested in the stock model without modification? 90% of the RG buys shown on this board seem to get modded atleast in pups and they get changed to other dimarzios which ibanez could cater for if they wanted.., anyway thats whatever

the thing about the pup/fixed bridge etc options i was saying is, yes they're there, but they're quite far between and they are always quite different models of their own- you can't get a variation of the RG you like with a fixed bridge, you need to buy a fairly different fixed bridge model. look at the 121, i love it but it's it's own model, not anything like an option variation of another model. which is good but it'd be great to have a few option variations too..
so yeah they're there, but so randomly rare around the line and with huge price jumps.

pups- my thoughts were they could offer an option which costs slightly more which has a Dimarzio set, like Evos or something, many more ppl would not feel the need to customise.. or other ideas to that effect

pup switching-what i had in my head was that they don't offer anything kinda far out, away from the hum hum sound.. like imagine a model option with a power stacked single in the neck instead like a chopper, maybe even with a dummy single cover next to it for hum looks, or anything that goes for a strat sound in the neck or just something different.

it's no crime to wish they had more variety, so ppl like me could find stock models they were totally happy with and more finish options so there's more i'd want to buy in the first place to modify
it's great that you're in the group that ibanez have totally catered for so far, and i'd expect nothing less than the opinion you give. there's just some other groups that i personally feel see a lack of ibanez listening and more ibanez not risking any changes

or something... anyway the only ppl that can change my view are ibanez, and they'd change it if they'd just offer some cooler finish options dammit :p

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Ki swordsman said:
anyway the only ppl that can change my view are ibanez, and they'd change it if they'd just offer some cooler finish options dammit :p
totally agree on that. unfortunately, Ibanez is not that daring brand that used to be in the late '80s (neon green, hot pink, flowers and handles right when black finish, leather and chains were mandatory, remember?). they're just surfing the trend and they cant do otherwise if they want to hold the title of "best seller" in guitar industry.
and of course i agree about the fact that "it would be great IF"... but we gotta be realistic. they simply can not satisfy every customer on earth. and there's a very precise reason if Ibanez is by far the most selling brand in the market.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I've got to say that I prefered the Ibanez choice of the 90's.

But there are other guitar companies still going now who do daring finishes, bright colours etc. Maybe buy one of those? But as a long time Ibanez user, it would be nice to see Ibanez do it again. Alternitavly, have the body re finished to what you like.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts